The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Stihl 034 AV...Hard starting  (Read 10401 times)

Offline lobsta1

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Stihl 034 AV...Hard starting
« on: December 03, 2006, 08:34:37 PM »
Long time lurker. I have an 034 AV that earlier this year started giving me a hard time starting. The pull cord is real tough to pull, almost as if there is too much compression. If it does burp, it will yank the cord handle right out of my hand. If I just eeease the cord out, it makes a very distinct tug at each revolution. With the plug out, using compressed air I can spin the engine over easily. Even with the plug in & wire disconnected it is tough to pull the cord. I know nothing about two-strokes. As an experiment, I left the spark plug loose to lower the compression. Was able to start right up without killing my hand. Revved it a little bit & shut it down. Tightened the plug & tried to start it again. Didn't start but almost broke my fingers ripping the cord handle out of my hand.
The local Stihl dealer is mostly a construction rental place. My saw is so old they can't even locate it on the microfiche.
help
Al

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Stihl 034 AV...Hard starting
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 08:54:29 PM »
Pull the rope slowly until you feel resistance then give it a short hard pull.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline lobsta1

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 09:10:27 PM »
Do that & then I will have my fingers ripped off. I'm strictly an amateur, but I have been cutting 5 > 7 cords a year for the last 30 years. The 034 I bought off ebay about 5 years ago. It's been great until this year.

What is interesting is that here in Ma. we started with E10 gas this year. Since then both my 034 & the chinese 6.5 hp Honda clone on my log splitter both recoiled so hard they snapped the pull cord & tore up the pawls in the Stihl & broke the recoil spring in the clone. (I think that is what is called a run-on sentence.) I've learned on the clone to hold the handle real light. The thing is on the Stihl, SOMETIMES it will pull easily. Once warmed up, it's usually OK.
Al

Offline dancan

• Share Post
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 08:19:43 PM »
DanG thats spooky .
I picked my 034av this morning , pulled the cord , it kicked back and broke the pull cord spool and the pawl .
I'll know tomorrow if it's that start of the same problem your having when i get her back together .

Offline MotorSeven

• Share Post
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 06:32:56 PM »
Have you cleaned the muffler screen? If it is clogged, it will make the compression way high, and also bog the saw in a cut once it warms up......learned this the hard way :-[.  The saw can't "exhaust" very well if the screen is all gumed up with carbon. Take the screen out, hold it with some vice grips, heat it till it glows with a torch, then lightly tap it on a hard surface...the carbon will fall off.

RD
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Offline dancan

• Share Post
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 07:46:53 PM »
Got my parts from the stihl store yesterday , wasted an hour and a half trying to get it together and to make the pull-cord work right  >:( called the stihl store found out they sold me the wrong pull . >:(
Got the correct one 5 minutes later  back in buisness  8) but it's not hard to pull or pulling the cord back .

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Stihl 390 hard starting?

Started by logman81 on Chainsaws

22 Replies
Last post March 26, 2013, 07:27:35 AM
by logman81
xx
Hard starting Stihl 044

Started by lineguy82 on Chainsaws

5 Replies
Last post November 09, 2014, 08:41:31 PM
by HolmenTree
xx
Help with a stihl 088 hard starting (jerks out of the hand!)

Started by Kelvin on Chainsaws

18 Replies
Last post April 14, 2007, 03:44:26 AM
by joe_indi
xx
Stihl 290 Farm Boss - hard starting when out of gas. Any similar problems?

Started by gus1957 on Chainsaws

8 Replies
Last post February 05, 2008, 04:21:35 PM
by gus1957