iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Getting a log home

Started by Karl Harms, December 06, 2006, 01:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Harms

I am looking for advice on getting a log (42" diameter by 16'-18' red oak) home from another site, the most economical way.  At this time I am limited on equipment but open to any suggestions.  Currently, I do not own a mill but I hate to see this log go to waste and I figured if I get it home, my wife will tire of looking at it and will agree to purchase a new mill.

DR_Buck

Karl,

Check out this link.  Parbuckling Big Logs  It should give you some ideas of how GA Boy, Dan Shade and I did some really big logs.   Also search the forum on "log loading".  There should be a lot of information available.

Good Luck,

Dave
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

flht01

Welcome to the forum Karl, I like the way you think  ;D

The link above is a good one on handling big logs. Keep in mind that a 42" 18 foot red oak will weigh somewhere around 11,000#

Karl Harms

Thank you for your suggestions,  I think I have a plan of action now.   I appreciate the help.

metalspinner

Welcome, Karl.

Here are some more pics...

On the way up...

Almost there...

Binded down...

Good luck! :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

dutchman

Karl, where do you live maybe someone could help you out.

thecfarm

Let us know when it's home.Don't be afaid to take pictures of the progress.Welcome to the forum.Keep out of the log's way if it comes loose.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

LeeB

Good advice cfarm. Maybe better to stay out tof the before it gets loose. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Karl Harms

Dutchman, I live near Iowa City, Iowa.  I will definetly stay out of the logs way.

dad2nine

"Currently, I do not own a mill but I hate to see this log go to waste and I figured if I get it home, my wife will tire of looking at it and will agree to purchase a new mill."

Personally I think you got a great plan there. Strategic placement in the yard (where it will be seen by her everyday) is a must for your plan to be successful.   ;D

Patty

The quickest action plan is to strategicly set the log where she has to climb over it every time she gets into & out of her car. she will tire of that very quickly. ;)

You will have a new mill in no time!  8)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Norm

Just hypothetically speaking here but would that work with a bulldozer? ;D

WeeksvilleWoodWorx

Norm,

Wouldn't you have to buy the dozer to put it in her way?  :D
Brian - 2004 LT40HDG28 owner.

beenthere

Norm
I think Patty is wise to your trickery. (At least the obvious ones that she has figured out.   :)  )

The dozer may be more subtle.

Just how did you get the 50 cal   ??? ;D  Did it have anything to do with da silo?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Brad_S.

Be careful, this strategy may backfire on you.

"If getting a sawmill means we'll have a bunch of logs lying all over the yard like that, you can forget the whole idea!"  >:(

I had to buy a separate piece of property to appease SWMBO (she who must be obeyed).
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Norm

Quote from: WeeksvilleWoodWorx on December 09, 2006, 08:44:03 AM
Norm,

Wouldn't you have to buy the dozer to put it in her way?  :D

Why yes I would....glad you suggested it. ;)

Don_Papenburg

Norm , You don't have a dozer yet? what are you waiting for? You have a lot of landscapeing to do that only a dozer can do ecanomicaly.  Start hunting one posthaste.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

customsawyer

I am reminded of a law that I read about I think it went something like for every action there is a equal and opposite reaction. When I got me a new mill my wife went and strated talking to people about redoing the kitchen. I have to give her points that was pretty quick on her feet.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Norm

Karl I'm sure if you have a great wife like I do she'll understand that it's a small price to pay to keep her husband happy. We both enjoy having our own sawmill and use the wood in projects that you might not do if you had to pay for good hardwoods. Yesterday Patty spent the whole afternoon working in the woodshop while I went deer hunting with my son. That morning we installed new cherry baseboard that we cut, dried and processed from our own logs.

If you would like to see a WM run I'm a couple of hours from Iowa City.

Now about this bulldozer Don has almost insisted I get one....sure would hate to make him mad by not doing so. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!