iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What a great 3 days

Started by sgtmaconga, December 29, 2006, 02:42:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgtmaconga

I want to tell the board what a great 3 days I've had and I want to thank WDH for them. I said I was looking to build a barn and WDH gave me around 16 nice pines from his place. If you ever want to see a forest museum this man has a bute.  Over the last three days I have been very happy to pick the brain of a true woodsman. WDH went out of his way to answer every question I had and even loaned me his bigger trailer to haul the logs with. I think we ended up hauling around 40 12' logs to my house. On the last run today he walked my small place and pointed out trees I did not even know I had.

For those who have not seen the difference thinning a grove of pines can do I will post photos later of the growth rings on these trees. This is a family of foresters who value all of the woods and I learned a lot from him.

I cannot thank you enough WDH except to say when you need help you just have to ask and my sweat is yours.

Thanks again WDH
sgtmaconga
Measure twice cut once

sgtmaconga

BTW

WDH needs to post more picks of the work he has done. his place if GREAT.
Measure twice cut once

DanG

Quote from: sgtmaconga on December 29, 2006, 02:45:32 AM

WDH needs to post more picks of the work he has done.

I'll second that emotion! 8) 8)

It's great to hear that you guys have already adopted the ForestryForum way of doing things. ;)  There's a bunch of threads about members helping each other out.  It sure makes a project a lot of fun!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WDH

It was great working with a kindred soul, and thank you for the kind words sgtmaconga.  The drought killed a number of trees on my property this fall and I am glad that you can utilize these trees to good service rather than see them become bug food. 

Most of what we cut was natural pine with very slow growth (tight growth rings).  There were three trees cut from a pine plantation that had been thinned, pruned, and fertilized.  Even with the faster growth the wood is dense because the latewood to earlywood ratio is much higher in the plantation than in the natural pine.  The buut logs on the plantation wood have grown six years since pruning, and it will be interesting to see what the boards look like.

Sgtmaconga's front yard looks like a real woodyard now!  That really compliments that new Timberking sawmill!!

By the way, I love the Forestry Forum Way of doing things, DanG.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sgtmaconga

Well i got the pics loaded from the trip to WDH's here is half the load we hauled.

and the other half

look at the rings from the unmanaged trees.

and the manager tree rings

again thanks for the training WDH.
Measure twice cut once

Left Coast Chris

Is the bark typically that thin on SYP?   Our Pondorosa or Jeffry or Grey pines out west usually have much thicker bark.   Will you attempt to peel the bark prior to sawing?
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

WDH

farmer77,

The pics show the top of the log, not the butt.  The bark is thicker at the butt, but in general, the bark of SYP is thickest on old trees and on trees that have slow growth.  Younger trees and faster grown trees have thinner bark in most cases.  The bark is these pics probably fall on the thinner side of the range of bark thickness for SYP.  The log with the measuring tape on it is shortleaf and the pic of the close-up of the rings is loblolly.  In the loblolly pic you can clearly see when the thinning and fertilization occurred.  That stand will be ready for a 2nd thinning in about 2 to 3 years.  The 1st thin was done in May 2000.

sgtmaconga,

Did you get any lumber cut this weekend or did the rainy weather preempt you?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sgtmaconga

I start in the morning WDH. as soon as it starts stacking up i'll upload more pics.
Measure twice cut once

WDH

Great!  Sawdust will be flying!  I have to go back to work tomorrow, but I would rather be helping you saw lumber!

Thank You Sponsors!