iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Womenz Say We Don't Need Anymore

Started by Corley5, January 05, 2007, 08:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

But we got another tractor today  ::) ::) ;).  Been working on the deal since before the holidays.  It's a 1956 401 Case diesel, 50hp, and came with a 6' bushog (not a real Bushog ;) ), 3 bottom plow, 7' Bervac snow blower, tire chains and a buzz rig.  Also included are a very complete set of manuals, records and receipts for work done since 1981.  Work includes rings, bearings, valve job, rebuilt injectors and pump, clutch, brakes and lots of seals and things.  The major work was done in 88 and the machine has less than 200 hrs on it since then.  The generator, starter and other things have been done more recently.  It lived at place a couple miles from us beginning in 1981 when Tom Martin bought it used and "as is" for $900.00 according to the receipt from Ginop's Sales.  Tom used it to blow out his driveway, plow his garden and mow a bit.  I remember seeing him blowing snow with the equipment.  He bought the blower new in 1988 according to the dates on its manual.  Tom was a retired Ford engineer and kept meticulous records including copies of letters and documentation of calls made to Case as well as the receipts for the parts  8) 8)  One note questions the stock 4" bore and asks why this tractor is 4 1/8"  8) :) :)  The machines moved to Fred Jenuwine's just down the road from my Grandma's in 99 a couple years after Tom passed away and the property sold.  Fred passed on this past July  :(  I didn't know him well but we always waved to each other.  I've had my eye on the tractor for several years and tried buying the plow a few years ago.  Fred had plans on making some wildlife openings on his place and didn't want to sell it  ;D  He hauled a little firewood on his twenty acres and put the blower on in the fall and took it off in the spring for as long as he had it.  I never did see any sign that he blew any snow  ;) .  His widow says he was very attached to it, called it his baby and that a piece of Fred went with the tractor :(  He kept up with the records where Tom left off adding his own reciepts and such.  Pretty DanG  8) to look at the record of history for this tractor  8) 8).  Since Dee and my Mother tell Dad and I that we don't need anymore tractors we stashed it in one of Grandma's barns for now  ;) ;) :) but put the blower on the 706 Farmall  ;D  All snowblowers look alike after all  ;D ;)  I'll post some pics tomorrow
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

pasbuild

smiley_tom_dizzyguy02  Hi I'm Greg and I'm a tractorholic
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Jeff

I'm hoping he eventually runs out of room and can start storing some here. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Corley5

Quote from: pasbuild on January 05, 2007, 08:35:53 PM
smiley_tom_dizzyguy02  Hi I'm Greg and I'm a tractorholic

Yes apparently I am :) :) :)

You're offering storage for use  eh eh Jeff  ???

Gary_C

Jeff
I believe on those storage deals, the storage is free as long as you get free use for the life of the tractor.  ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

farmerdoug

Greg,  You will now have to just buy more tractors of the same models you now have that way the misses will not notice them that easy.  You know that works having three 806's until you make the mistake of having them all together when she sees the model number though. ::)

I would other to store a few for you also but then I already have to many tractors I am told.  But I may use the storage idea to add a few for me though. :D  "Look at the tractor I am storing for Greg" ;D

I am a firm beleiver in having a tractor for each implement you have.  It saves time changing them and less average wear on all the tractors. ::)  After all tractorholics never buy a tractor with the intention of selling it in their lifetime, do they? ???

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Norm

I think that tractor and the part of Fred that came with it is pretty darn lucky. :)

Now you got me thinking though, I've been wanting a JD 4000 series tractor but get the what do you need one for questions. I'm just going to get one and say I'm storing it for Greg. If that works I may store a couple of others for you also. ;D

scgargoyle

The number of tractors you need is directly proportional to the amount of land you have. I live on 1/6 of an acre, and have 2 tractors. So, when I move to my 7 acres in SC, I'll need roughly 42 tractors. How much land do you have? You might have to explain it to her real slow- some women aren't that good at high math :D
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

sawguy21

You might want to duck after that last comment. :o
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Bibbyman

Here's my total tractor collecton (basides the AGCO we use at the mill).  I had a young man stop in on thursday morning to pick up some lumber.  He spotted the old Farmall under the tree behind the slab pile and had to go look at it.  He collects and restors old Farmalls and IH tractors.  He said it was a Regular because of the way the exaust pipe went down instead of up and through the engine cover.

I only kept it from the scrap collector because it was dad's old tractor.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Gary_C

My father in law always said that you can never have too many tractors or chainsaws. When he passed away, he had given the tractors to his first son, but he still had 14 or 15 chainsaws and some were still in the box. When the mother in law got mad at him, he would just stay away from her for a few days and say"she will get over it."   ::)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SwampDonkey

Corley said he has a 706 Farmall, we had a 706 International. Any difference, besides the spelling. ::)

All other tractors he had were John Deere. The John Deere dealerships around here have gone bankrupt. One guy had a dealership for several years and he went up in the 90's, then the guy that took over flew high until recently and he had 5 shops around the province.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Captain

Congrats, Greg.

Recently, I've been considering a snowblower for the PTO on my tractor.  Curious on experience of others??  Probably would be much nicer in a cab, better yet in a heated cab....

Captain

farmerdoug

Or better yet some snow to play with it in. ;D ;D ;D

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

Don_Papenburg

Farmall  rowcrop  international standard tread   But inter change them at old IH dealers to get them upset.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Corley5

Case 401

Blower mounted on the 706

It even came with the cylinder to turn the chute 8)  We really like a blower.  The one thing to remember with them is never to blow snow into the wind  ;D ;D  They also eliminate tall banks and piles of snow.  As you can see we don't have snow either.  That may change this week.  A Farmall 706 is a row crop tractor with taller wheels and drop spindles to give clearance for working in corn, beans, etc. and they also have an adjustable tread width for different width rows.   An International 706 is standard tread wide front tractor sometimes referred to as a wheatland.  They are lower to the ground and have tread width is set or very limited in adjustment.  These tractors do share the same engines and basic transmissions although ratios may vary.  I like your Dad's tractor Bibby  8) 8) 8)  It is Regular as it also has the open steering gears.  The F-20's gears were enclosed.  We've got 200 acres and roughly 90 tractors.  They understand that we don't need anymore ;D ;D ;D  Go ahead and store all the tractors you want for guys.  Always glad to have some assistance  :) :)  Sell a tractor ??? :o ::)  Never ;D ;D

SwampDonkey

I remember the 706 IH was a tall tractor. I'm sure it's nearly 8 feet to the top of the fenders.

I can remember father talking about them wet falls back in the 70's and trying to dig potatoes. The old 706 hooked onto the air vac harvester and the Tree Farmer and winch hooked onto the tractor.  ::) I was around, but wasn't int he middle of it. I picked potatoes by hand for other farmers from aged 7-11. At 12 I graduated to dad's potato sheds. I would have rather picked potatoes.  :D :D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

farmerdoug

Sell tractors?   Never!! ::)

I like that Corley.  :) But just to let you know if your wife outlives you it will be one heck of an auction.  I have seen it time and time again when a collector dies the wife or kids auction it all off.  I guess you cannot take them with you but it sure is fun to have them when your alive. 8) 8) 8)

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

SwampDonkey

We was row cropping too, 300 acres of spuds and 100 acres of milling wheat.  ;D

thecfarm

Captain,how big and what kind is your tractor?I have a 54" Pronovost.It's a rear mounted one.I have this on the rear of my 18hp BX Kubota.This is hydrosratic.Just turn sideways and off I go.Clutch would be a real bother.I did not like the way a front mounted Kubota was made,real cheap for the money.This one will really throw the snow.Last year when we had a real wet show storm,everyone that plows and had those walk behind throwers were having a time with the wet snow.The only problem I had,I just had to go a lot slower than I'm use to.Still threw it 30-40 feet.You do have to watch the wind.I have to sit and wait at times.I have heard of fellows that put on their snowmobile suits and helmets to clear the snow.Works good I bet.We have a 500 foot gravel driveway and live on a dirt road.I keep bolts right on the tractor.I can change one in minutes.I did put a piece of pleix glass on the ROPS to protect me from the snow.That helped out a lot.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Quote from: thecfarm on January 06, 2007, 08:48:28 PM
Last year when we had a real wet show storm,everyone that plows and had those walk behind throwers were having a time with the wet snow.

Last winter I only walked behind mine in the garage, only had 2 " to a time, and that ended in January. The wind removed it. ;D

But, your right, if you don't keep on the slush removal, and it sets up as ice, it's a pain in the pa tudy to clear with a walk behind. Even worst is the snow plow pushing that wet, packed stuff full of stones into the mouth of my lower driveway when he makes a wide sweep coming down from a cross road. ;)

Corley5

I think it was Roger Welsch's wife Linda that asked if it would be ethically and morally correct to have the auction bill on the same page as the obituary  ;) ;D ;D :)
We've got the 706 with the cab for blowing snow now  8) but past winters I wore a full suit of Carhart Blizzard wear my chainsaw safety helmet.  The screen keeps most of the snow off your face and the ear muffs keep your ears warm.  SD that 706 had some mighty oversized tires on it if it was 8' to the top of the fender  ;) ;D

SwampDonkey

Well, she was 3 steps up into the cab to the seat. ;D It's quite a bit taller than your 706 pictured. I found the tires on it quite narrow, not wide like on the Deere's.

Corley5

Ours has 16.9X38 rear tires.  I've seen them with 18.4X38.  Your Dad's was probably a high crop if sat that much higher

SwampDonkey

It had the Extra Torque arm to.

Father wasn't much for taking pictures of machinery, so I don't have any to show of the old tractor. Actually, I don't think father ever snapped a picture in his life. ;D  :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!