iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any wood turners out there?

Started by maplewoman, January 12, 2007, 03:48:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maplewoman

Hi everyone 8), Maplewoman here, I am wondering who amongst you do fine woodturning. And if you do what is your favourite timber to turn and why?
I will start this post by saying I love conkerberry (carissa lanceolata) from Australia, it is bright orange, very heavy, rare, and turns a treat. A bit hard on the tools but well worth it!

RSteiner

Just getting started.

I liked working with cherry and hard maple turned up nice also.

Randy
Randy

Woodwalker

Can't say I do "fine turning", I try to. Haven't had time to get in my shop in the last several months.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Texas Ranger

Woodwalker and I are in the same boat, but, I like turning walnut and holly, a little mesquite when I can find it.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Radar67

I turn a little, mostly bowls and pens. I wouldn't consider it "fine" yet. So far, my favorite wood to turn is beech.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Burlkraft

I also do some turnin'..... ;D  ;D  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Patty

I am a newbie turner myself.  8)

I don't have enough experience to have a favorite wood. They are all still a mystery to me!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

SwampDonkey

I turn mostly for my furniture projects, although I have turned bowls and trinkets some time ago, out of cherry, elm, and butternut. Not what you'de call fine turning, although not bad either. ;) I prefer, hard maple, yellow birch, and cherry. Ash and butternut are best for a reversible lathe, red oak isn't too bad.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Burlkraft

Quote from: Patty on January 12, 2007, 03:57:57 PM
I am a newbie turner myself.  8)

I don't have enough experience to have a favorite wood. They are all still a mystery to me!

Have we seen any pictures of you WORKING with that big new machine.... ???   ???   ;D   ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Ron Wenrich

Fairly new to turning and like the others I wouldn't call it fine.  Maybe I should be fined for calling it woodworking.   :D

Woods I've tried is walnut, cherry, spalted beech, ambrosia maple, hickory, black birch, sumac, tulip poplar and honey locust.  Mainly pens and I'm still learning.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Part_Timer

I like to turn Osage and sasafrass.    I'm good a making a pile of shavings on the floor, but the wife is good at making useful stuff like pens and vases.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

TexasTimbers

I am a turner wanna-be. I am also a turner gonna-be ;) Lord willin and the creeks don't rise.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Patty

Nope, Steve, no pictures just yet. I attempted a turn on it last weekend, and it darn near ripped the tool right out of my hands.  :o   Scared the peewad right out of me.  :D    When Norm finishes his hard maple project that is on it now, I plan to attempt again, only with a softer wood.     I will win this one, it is just going to take some time.  :)
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

SwampDonkey

Let me see them dang tools your using. And make sure your tool rest is up close to the wood. How fast did you have it spinning, it doesn't have to be on the fastest setting to shave wood. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Patty

Hey Donk, my tools are all HSS Sorby tools, and I think 1 is a different brand. I just sharpened them. My problem last weekend was:
1) Hard spalted maple that was very dry, and oddly shaped. Too big to fit on my band saw to trim off the edges.
2) I am a weenie.  ;D

Ok, now I have a question. How many mm's is 31/64's ? I want to replace my 31/64's bit, because mine sucks. I can't seem to easily find sharp drill bits for wood this large. The stupid one I now use doesn't have a sharp tip, and I have to predrill my piece with a smaller bit, and gradually work up to the 31/64's. Like sneaking up on the poor piece of wood.  ::)  :D
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Snag

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe 12mm is closest to 31/64".  31/64" is approx. 12.3mm. 

Radar67

31/64 is 1/64 shy of 1/2 inch.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

SwampDonkey

Patty, slow her down some for that big hard stuff. Use faster speeds for more open grained woods like red oak and walnut. You don't have to run that stuff so fast it vibrates the whole house. :D :D With that heavy duty lathe, get some big handled tools with some meat so you can hang on, but not with such a grip that your going to have hand cramps at the end of the day. I find small handled gouges feel like they are going to fly apart and i have to hang on tighter. ;D

31/64" = 12.3 mm as Snag says.

Sprucegum

I confess  :-X  I have turned a little wood - birch, white oak, lilac, apple. Looke pretty fine to me but I am prejudiced.

Patty; sounds like you are using a high speed steel bit , you might want to find a brad or forstner bit. Even if you have to mail order it would be worth it.

Patty

12.3mm hmmm, I think that will work. Thanks Snag.   I knew someone on here would have been paying attention the day the math teacher converted fractions to metric. I knew also that it wasn't me  :D    I was too busy staring out the window. :D

Sprucegum, everything I buy is mail order! We pretty much live in the boonies. The closest woodcraft store is about 70 miles away. No store within 30 miles of me carries wood bits for some reason.  ::) 
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Striker

Well, I have a large pile of shavings around a wood lathe. Does that make me a woodturner?

Oh, the shavings did come from pieces of wood chucked up in the lathe. Sometimes the wood goes flying with the shavings . ??? :o :(  I'll just keep trying. ;)

pigman

I do a little turning, mostly spindles for furniture. I have turned a few bowls, but I am not very good at that yet. Now if I had a big Powermatic like Patty, I would be an excellent bowl turner.  ;)

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Furby

Sounds like Patty will be getting a bigger bandsaw. ;)

metalspinner

I turn lots of stuff for the house.  Mosty gifts used by the family throughout the year for teachers and stuff.  Vases are fun for Valentine's day and Mother's day.  Of course, ornaments at Christmas.  My wife wants a set of ten ladder back chairs for the table I made last year. :o

I teach a few turning classes at the local Woodcraft store.  My occupation is metal spinning so lots of time is spent on a machine lathe.   The woodturning is a refreshing creative change of pace from the production metal spinning.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Patty

I like the way you think Furby!  8)
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Thank You Sponsors!