iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer Noise reduction

Started by Dan_Shade, January 16, 2007, 10:40:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

going out on a limb here, but has anybody ever attempted to quiet down the "screech" when the engine kicks up to tighten the belt?  I may toss some sound deadening into the shields, but am concerned with heat....

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

jpgreen

Dan- coming from an acoustical design background, I don't believe you could get enough mass of materials in the area to dampen that noise. Just ain't going to happen unless you could isolate the whole saw head in some kind of cabinet, and that of course would not be viable...  :)
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

logwalker

Try some belt dressing. Use sparingly. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

leweee

Dan ....a good pair of ear muffs works wonders. smiley_hardhat
          I wear my forestry helmet when milling. :D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Dan_Shade

yeah, I do that, but I'd like to keep the noise down as much as possible anyways.

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

submarinesailor

I wear double hearing protection on my right ear, the side that faces the motor and single on the other side.  Really helps with the lower frequency stuff.

Bruce

Warren

Dan,

I just had my LT40 serviced at Indy last week.  Had a new drive belt installed as part of the service.  Nick was able to adjust out much of the noise at the shop.  But back home after a couple days....  It's back.  Not as bad as previous.  But it's still there. 

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

woodmills1

Before my hated ex-neighbor moved out I used to keep my belt just a little bit loose so the schreech was pronounced.  It will be one of the stories I tell when I get really old.....the neighbor at a public meeting going....and the thing goes screeeeeech everytime he pulls the lever. 8)  did I mention he moved?
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

pigman

I found that when I went from the hand clutch to the auto-clutch, 90% of the belt screech went away. I don't even hear the belt screech over the diesel engine now.  Of course my drive belt could be worn out or I have just lost most of my hearing.

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Dan_Shade

hmm, my mill has autoclutch (higly recommended for you fellas without it!).  maybe the belts are shot, I haven't looked at them....

i'll take a look at it, and try some belt dressing. 

my opinion is more quieter is more betterer (I must be getting old)....

pigman

Dan, it could be that my drive belt is engaged before the engine reaches a high rpm. I did replace the broken factory throttle cable with another one. Maybe I did not get the throttle to engage as fast.

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

SawDust_Studios

Dan,

Unless you've put alot more hours on it, doubt the belts are worn. But may need adjustment.  When I first put the autoclutch on, I ran the mill for awhile.  Then one day, I looked down and the arm was lying in the sawdust. The locknuts has somehow slipped.  It had worked itself out.   It is fairly easy on the autoclutch to give it a tad more tension.  I'd start there.

If I remember, you have an electrical background.  You should go with noise cancelation on the mill. I'd say about 4 big kenwood speakers blasting white noise back at you should make that mill almost hum you to sleep  :D

Making Sawdust on a Woodmizer LT40SHD CAT 51 /WM Twin Blade Edger and WM DH Kiln

Dan_Shade

haha, that actually crossed my mind, Dave, but alas, i've taken the icepick in the ear and become a manager!

:D

I've probably put 40 hours or so on it since I got it.

Woodmizer did such a good job on the shields that I haven't even taken any of them off!  But i've sure been having a blast with the saw.

woodmills1

Also I used to park the old dozer at the 15 foot setback line and leave it runnin on holidays.  Did I mention he moved.  Old old enemy ended up next door who knows why. :P
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Dan_Shade

i'd just get hogs if I had a neighbor fued.  But I don't want one, no way no how!

i figure not mowing my grass is bad enough, I dont' want to be louder than the 4-wheelers at all hours of the day!

woodmills1

nice suggestion but at least here the fued pre dates me movin in next to him so i kida brought it up again,  Did I mention he moved way up north? 8)

sparks

When we train the customer on how to engage the blade we show them they need to pull the clutch handle in one direct motion. Some want to pull the handle slowly which will cause the belt to slip more and wear it faster. You should give it one hard pull. The belt "bark" that you hear is the belt being pulled into the v-groves of the pulleys as the rpm increases. Remember the mill is idling at 1850 rpm and the belt is not moving. This "bark" is normal as the belt picks up speed with the pulleys. You should only hear one "bark". "Barking noises when the belt is disengaged means your belt is to tight, in the disengage position and/or the clutch enhancer is out of adjustment. That is the small bar that sits under the drive belt at the engine pulley. It should be about an 1/8" away from the belt when engaged. Belt dressing will cause the belt to want to grab when it is in the disengage position. We do not recommend belt dressing on the drive belt.
Belts chirp and squeak because they are either out of adjusted or they are glazed. New belts have a dull rubber finish. As they wear they will begin to glaze which, over a period of time, allows the belts to slip a little causing chirping. Belt dressing hides the condition and people forget about the belt until it breaks. Uh Oh, the old service manager is coming out. Didn't mean to preach.          Thanks
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Dan_Shade

Thanks, Sparks, the "bark" is what I'd like to quiet down!

Minnesota_boy

If your linkage isn't adjusted tight enough the bark will be more pronounced and last longer.  This wears the belt more so it will slip more and bark longer and let the blade loose speed in the cut which will lead to other problems.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Bibbyman

On main belt adjustment....  I don't know that this is the "right" way to do it but.... 

I find it much easier to move the motor over (I have a 25hp electric) than to deal with the autoclutch throw adjusment and the break adjustment. 

After a belt change, I find I'll have to tighten the belt again after about 50 hours and then again maybe in another 100-200 hours.  It may may need another adjusting again before time to replace. 

I move the motor about 1/16" at a time and test.  Usually one time is enough.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Brucer

I check the belt tension (with a proper tool) every 50 hours and adjust if necessary. Mine doesn't bark, chirp, or screech. Didn't with the manual clutch, doesn't with the autoclutch. Maybe I don't have enough horsepower :D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

logwalker

Mine has never chirped either. It is electric so it is full speed when engaged. Maybe it is the brand of belt you are using. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Thank You Sponsors!