iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Carb icing

Started by stumpy, January 29, 2007, 07:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumpy

Any of you have trouble with carburator icing up when sawing below 30 degrees?  I have an LT30 with the 25 hp Kohler
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Polly

8) 8)  i am wondering if you mixed some gas guard , or some agent to remove water from gas  also it would clean up carb  i use stay bill myself wal mart has got it ;) ;D

sawguy21

Kohler has a winter kit that directs the incoming air past the exhaust pipe.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

jackpine

I have the winter kit on my 25 hp Kohler. It does work well but before the engine is fully warmed up it will still start icing up. You either use the blade engage handle to "feather" the throttle or turn the engine off and let the residual heat melt the ice. In a couple of minutes restart the engine and all is fine, no more icing.

Captain

We have the winter kits at TimberPro, they are not on the website.

I'm out-of-town and can't remember the price, however.... ::)

Captain

mike_van

Stumpy, icing up as in frost on the outside or  fuel freezing and killing the engine?  Frost on the outside of the carb is normal, my tractor does it all the time. Really did it yesterday AM when I had to go on a 4+ mile road trip at 12F.   If it's icing from water in the gas, you have to drain the sys., dry it [hair drier? whatever]  And start with good gas.   Dry gas doesn't evaporate the water, it breaks it up into smaller parts that will flow through the carb.  But, if there's a lot of water in a tank, you can drygas it till the cows come home, you'll never get it all unless you drain it. Just my 2 cents.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Captain

Stumpy, sorry about the part availability.  It is different for our spec 27hp engines, ie different air filter housing. 

To all, our supplier is backordered (imagine that!!) on the CH18-CH25 de-icing kits.

Looks like 2-3 weeks from order at this time.

Captain

Coon

One suggestion for icing problems if you got moisture in the gas.  We have found that in temps below freezing always keep the tank full when not in use.  This helps to prevent frost from building up on the inside of the tank.  Even though I TRY to keep all tanks full I still use a drying agent at all times in winter.  Another thing also is to check with your fuel supplier as to whether there is a drying agent already added into the fuel.  If you add too much of this drying agent plugs tend to get fouled and the engine runs way to lean.  Around here most of the companies sell winter fuel.  It has it added.

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Thank You Sponsors!