iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Could someone send me some live oak acorns?

Started by Modat22, February 27, 2007, 09:17:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modat22

I wanted to try planting some in my front yard and side field. I'd be happy to pay for them and the postage.

Let me know.
remember man that thy are dust.

thecfarm

Mine are under about at least a foot of snow and by Friday it might be more.Guess you'll have to wait until about May for me.I only have Red Oak by the way.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

This was an off year for our acorns. Last year I coulda sent ya a boat load.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

I been led to believe that acorns need to be gathered and planted soon after they fall from the tree. Might have to wait until next fall to get some that will be viable.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Nah, I dont think so. We have planted acorns up north in the spring gathered in the fall and had them take. Sprouted them in jars too and buckets as well. They do need cold stratification though.

thecfarm

I really don't know how many you want,but I know I mow over bunches of 1-2 inch high ones every spring.I keep a area of woods across from the house cleaned up.A mixture of all the trees that grow around here.There is hardly a tree in there smaller than 2 inches.I mow this with a regular old lawn mower.Now that I said this there won't be any this year.Last year wasn't a great year for acorns but it wasn't a bad one either.The turkeys worked over a few areas.Been a easy year for the deer.Most year people come see us and ask me why am I digging out in the woods.The deer really paw the ground over and work the leaves up to the top.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Wenrich

Depends on the type of oak.  Chestnut oaks germinate shortly after they fall.  Red oak is in the spring (I think). 

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Larry

Snow melted off today so I took a look round the yard.  I can send ya red oak or pin oak or both...your choice.  Might be able to also send white oak....have to go to the timber to see what I can find...no problem as I'm gonna whack off trees sometime this week if it dries out just a little more.

Send me a PM as to what ya want with your address...maybe fill up one of those flat rate USPS envelopes and get it off.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

DanG

I thought he said Live Oak. ???

I could probably scrape up a few, come Fall.  You'd need to remind me, though.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

oh!  I thought he meant Live, as an alternative to dead oak acorns. Live as in viable.  Doh!

Furby

I thought the same as DanG and was trying to figure out how you folks in the North were growing them.
Almost jumped in the truck and ran up to Jeff's to see them. :D :D :D

DanG

If ya run into any of them Dead Oak acorns, send me a sackful.  Might really cut down on drying times. ;D 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Mooseherder

I have one live oak that gets it's acorns harvested by BlueJays every fall.
They don't make it to the ripening stage to harvest or fall off the tree. If I pic em' green will they propagate?

Larry

This is really a tricky place here...guess ya have to learn to read...and think. ::)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Slabs

This Live Oak thread could get interesting.  I've got a yard full of Live Oak "bushes" and they're fairly prolific with acorn yield.  Most of the Panhandle Live oaks make little more than scrawny curved-trunk trees good for little more than firewood and are near impossible to split if big enough.

I'd like to hear more about varieties in other regions.  Me and CANTHOOK sawed up a tree that was supposed to be Live Oak some time ago with interesting results.  We haven't used any of the wood yet but will probably try over in the summer after about 15 months of curing.

Moreover, a transplatation of our local variety to other parts of the country would be interesting so count me in on the acorn source upon the next harvest next fall Modat.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Tom

I've got Live Oaks everywhere.  It's a stalwart Florida tree.   There are so many acorns that I'm not sure of the season that they are dropped.  I'll keep an eye out for them too.

DanG

Slabs, you must got some of them Coastal Live Oaks.  They look like a regular Southern Live Oak that has been stunted.  In fact, I always thought thats what they were until I came upon this forum and started getting interested enough to look some of this stuff up.  I've seen some of those Coastals bearing acorns when they're only 2 or 3 feet tall!

CHARLIE

I ain't ne'er seen a live oak 'cept in the deep South. I think if you tried to grow on in Kentucky you might end up with a dead live oak. ;D  It would be fun to try though.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

WDH

Live oak, Quercus virginiana, is a coastal plain species.  It is a widely planted ornamental.  I am interested to see if it will survive in Ole Kentuck.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WDH

I did not see Charlie's post before I responded.  How far north does live oak survive?  What has been the experience of Forum members?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

limbrat

Is there a differance between a live oak and a spanish oak or is they just regional names for the same thing?
ben

Ron Wenrich

I've seen spanish oak described on some old deeds here in PA.  It turned out that its another name for chestnut oak.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Slabs

DanG

You gotta be on to it!  Mine are definately the "pore-dirt" variety.

WDH

Might that be also pronounced "Kain-tuck"?  I mighta watched too many Davy Crockett episodes as a yungun.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

WDH

Modat22

:D Seems I opened a can of worms.

I was thinking since the hardiness map is changing a bit that I might get some of those hard evergreen oak trees growing in my yard.
remember man that thy are dust.

Thank You Sponsors!