iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Not the Way

Started by ARKANSAWYER, March 03, 2003, 05:12:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARKANSAWYER

Rodney says that this is not the way to keep production rolling.  We came to a dead stop when this log with a bit of ice jumped off the mill. ;D   I got it back on with out any trouble.  Even with the open side of the WM it is hard to saw them this way.  I guess I will do better when I am not sawing frozen logs with snow on them.  It was Friday so the week was about over any way..
ARKANSAWYER

ARKANSAWYER

Bibbyman

Looks to me like you're leaving some grade in those RR ties?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

dail_h

HEY ARKY,
   LIKE ONE OF THE OLDER GENTELMEN AT WORK SAYS,"SOME DAYS IT BES LIKE THAT" WE WONT TELL
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Ron Wenrich

With the price of ties right now, you can leave some grade on.  I've had bridge timbers pay so good that I could leave all sides clear, and make more money in the timber.

So Arky, do you make Rodney carry those ties way over there by himself?   :D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

dewwood

Somehow that scene looks all too familiar.  Glad no damage was done to man or machine.

Dewey
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

ARKANSAWYER

It happens s#!t does. :o
    I will bet the farm that if you take the board off the tie it will be 2C on the back side and I will lose the tie and have to eat about 20 bdft of 3B that pays $0.15 bdft or make a 4x6 that pays $0.28 bdft.  Leave it on and get a 6x8 tie and get $0.40 for all of it.
  I help Rodney with the 7x9's and we trade off sawing so we each throw 6x8's which only weigh about 175 lbs.  We cut 5 to 7 an hour so it is not to bad.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Bibbyman

Looks like a set of rollers would be real handy between the mill and the edger.  I'd fix it so there would be a couple of removable ramps to tumble the RR ties from the rollers to the stack - then remove them or somehow swing them out of the way to work with flitches and boards coming down the line.

We've got a board drag back system on our Super but almost never use it because it goes the wrong way for us.  We need a pusher.  Sure would be nice sawing RR ties and beams to be able to raise the toeboards and push that sucker off the tail end down some slopping set of rollers.

One of these days.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Minnesota_boy

You want me to post pictures of the roller/slide setup I use for the long 8X8's I've been sawing?  I've talked to the welder that made them and asked for an additional removeable ramp so I can slide a different size cant over the top of the 8X8 stack too.  I had him add a couple more rollers to the mill too, one fixed at the end of the mill and one manually adjustable roller toeboard on the extension.  I've been unloading and stacking (only 2 high, thank God) all the cants by myself.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Paul_H

I'd sure like to see your setup Minnesota_boy.We have a hokey roller system for our ties,it would be good to see other setups.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Minnesota_boy

Sorry it took me so long to respond.  It takes a bit to get the pictures located, optimized, and uploaded.

This setup was designed for material longer than 20 feet so you might not need all of it or might want to modify it.  I first added a roller to the end of the mill.  Since this picture was taken, it was moved to the end of the extender and the stem the roller is mounted on was drilled to take a pin to adjust the height of the roller.

Close up of the bracket.  It is mounted where the end support jack had been after I drilled new holes and moved the jack forward.

I felt that I needed another adjustable toeboard roller.  This is manually adjustable by a long arm and a swinging brace that catches (sometimes) on a weld.

From the side of the mill you can see the long arm and the brace swung down to extend the roller to the maximum (about 2 inches).

This arm is latched to the under side of the mill towards the far end of the mill.

The brace that holds the arm down is free-swinging from the frame and straddles the arm.  This method could use improvement, but it does work.

I use a series of rollers for an outfeed table.  These are fastened to the end or the sawmill near the top of the roller support so it doesn't tip over and the support is pinned to the ground to keep it aligned and to keep it from shooting sideways when a cant is slid down the angle on the side.  The angle is much steeper than necessary, but this was the first attempt and it worked, so we left it.  Doing it again, I'd make the angle half as steep.

To make the cants ride up on the roller, an angled plate is welded to the front and to one side of the roller, as seen in this view.  Also notice the tubing that connectes the rollers to the end of the mill.

I also put a roller on the front of the mill for the times that I need a pile on both ends for sorting.  I replaced the bolts fastening the hitch to the front of the mill with longer threaded rods and adapted the roller support to fit over the nuts that keep the hitch fastened to the mill and attach it with another pair of nuts on the outside of the bracket.  This allows me to keep the hitch fastened at alll times and still attach or remove the roller quickly for moving.  There is a long plate welded to the bracket to guide the cants up to the roller.  I've used this with cants as short as 8 feet.  

Since you mentioned ties, you would need the rollers closer together and not so many of them.  I hope this helps (and I hope this isn't as hokey as what you are using).

I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Paul_H

Minnesota_boy,

I must have missed it when you posted the pictures.I think it is a great setup for moving the larger timbers around.Our setup is hokey because we should have had the mill a little higher off the ground.The way it is now,by the time the 20' crossing planks clear the mill,they are on the last set of rollers at ground level.We kind of threw it together as we went along.I have a few ideas from your pictures that we could use.

There are two adjustable rollers that came with the mill.The ties(7x10x20') roll off of them onto another set of rollers on the ground(to the right of the tie)From there they slide sideways on two ties that have 1 1/4 black plastic hose fastened to them.The hose is good and slippery for the ties to move on.The offbearer can handle the ties by himself right off the mill,and after two tiers(10) they are moved with the frontend loader to the stack.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Thank You Sponsors!