iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Retiring now what?

Started by DextorDee, March 20, 2007, 02:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DextorDee

Starting on a new journey sure do hope its a good one. This is my last couple of days working here. Iv'e put in 30  years and 5 months to the good ole UGA. Its time to go to the house now and really do some hard work.
This will be a new adventure for me. Not going to work? thats gonna be strange. ???

PS:hope i didn't post in the wrong place i just wanted to spread the word .I'M RETIRING. ;D
Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

Tom

A-a-a-oo-oo-ooGah

Go you Silver Britches !!

Go Dogs !    Woof! Woof!

Ah yes, Retirement.  ;D :)

Congratulations.  :)

Burlkraft

Been retired for over a year now....I work harder than I did before, but I wouldn't trade it for anything..... ;D ;D ;D

Good luck.... ;) ;) ;)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

crtreedude

Well, sounds like an adventure. I personally keep busy working so I won't have to do chores.  ;D

Of course, I think my wife would do me in if I rattled around the house too much.

So, I just have to ask, is being retired  mean that you are tired again?
So, how did I end up here anyway?

isawlogs

If you think the honeydoolist is long now ... boy have you got a surprise coming ...  ::) :P :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Riles

I've been retired almost three years now and have spent the last two getting a forestry degree. I seem to recall UGA having a pretty good school of forestry....

It'd be just like driving to work every morning.  :D
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Engineer

Gawd I got 30 years to go 'fore I'm retarded retired.

I can't wait.   :D

Based on observing my parents, you gonna be busier now than you were when you were "working".

DanG

Take a deep breath and roll up them sleeves.  Get yourself a bundle of work gloves or you'll have callouses in places you didn't know you had places.

Congrats on getting out alive!! 8) 8) 8) 8)

Oh yeah, maybe you'll have a chance to roam around and meet some of us, now. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Larry

Retired 8 years ago.  Fun every step of the way but it hasn't been life on easy street...got to see my 401K loose half it's value.  Fortunately a few other things went very well.  Plan on starting another business venture soon...just because I want to.

The very best thing is...I was used to working all the hours it required to get the job done...at the expense of family time.  New direction now...if I don't get to it today, I might get to it tomorrow.

Than again my number one priority....

An old picture of a little fish...put one in the boat last week over 25 pounds...no pics and I ate em.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

thecfarm

Well at 114 posts,you will have more time to be on here.Enjoy your retirement.Lucky you.  8)   8)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

I am with Tom  ;D.  What did you do at UGA?  I have two daughters there, plus I was there for a long time back in the Cretaceous Period.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Woodcarver

Retired five years ago, no, make that six, with a list of to-do items, some mine, some honey-do.  There are still things on the list to do.  Not because I haven't been busy, but because I've been to busy to get to them.

About six months after I retired I happened to see a fellow who I knew from work.  He had retired about a year before I did.  He asked me how retirement was going. I said OK, but I was frustrated that I wasn't getting more done.  Oh, he said, you'll get over that.  :)  For the most part he was right.  Now if I could just find more time to fish...... 
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Polly

8) 8)no more time clocks to set or scegules to meet   great  iworked 25 yrs in a factory and got fired drove a truck 20 years and lost cdl license and got fired health reasons so now i am 68 yrs old bought lt40 used wife got me a new sthl chain saw for christmas and as soon as i recoved from complete knee replacement surgery i am going to hit it like my 80 yr old aunt said you cant set on front porch and rock till you die    cong on your retarment  :D :D :D 8) 8) 8)

pigman

I wish I could retire, but I can't just yet. :(  I have to get a job first, than I can retire. ;D
DextorDee, you are leaving UGA just in time. My youngest is heading down there in the fall to work on her masters and she is such a wild thing that she just might shut the place down. ::)

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

PineNut

Since I retired, I stay busy but I can adjust it to my schedule. Don't know how I found time to work before I retired. I used to look forward to daylight savings time but now it doesn't make any difference since I set my own schedule,

If I didn't stay busy, they might as well dig a hole for me.

beenthere

pigman
Did she take flyin lessons from her Mom?  and have her own broom ?   ;D

(now I know she is a sweet thing just like her Mom  :) Ya gotta be real proud of her too).

When I retired, I said "No honey do list!!!!!!!!!".  It worked, but I learned there are other subtle ways to get me to do things around here.  ::) ::) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

TexasTimbers

Man I came close to retiring once but decided not to take the job. ;)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

JimBuis

I didn't retire, I just quit.

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Norm

I retired in 98 and it drove me nuts, not the retirement but everyone asking why I would retire at such an early age. ;D

I did go back to work in 2002, something about outliving my savings. :D

Coon

Retired?  Yup I am, and the work still keeps piling up.  There's never any end in sight.  Soon enough you'll find time to do some of things you've been wanting to do.  Just think of it this way.... Do I have to do it?  Do I want to do it?  Will it still be there 2 years down the road when I find the time?  If you answered yes to the first one then what are you doing on the forum right now?  :D  If you answered yes to the other two do it when you get arount to it?  Don't let it push you around.  You should be the one pushing it around.  Get yourself a mill if you haven't got one.  You'll be much happier with one even though you know it'll keep you busier than you want to be, but.......... the kill switch doesn't complain when you get too tired. :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

OneWithWood

The government recently tacked a year on to my sentence because of their fiscal ineptness.  So I have a little under 13 years to serve if I want full bennies.
Lately I have been thinking radically reduced bennies and a four year stint sounds more like it.
I've got to much to do to be sitting in this chair  ::)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Fla._Deadheader

Quote[Lately I have been thinking radically reduced bennies and a four year stint sounds more like it.
/quote]

Dat's perzacktically whut I did.  8) 8) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Mr Mom

Neighbor Became retired two years ago and works more then when he was not retired.
     Dad is now retired and works more now then when he was not.
     Retiring seem to be to much like work.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

pineywoods

When you get to where you don't know what day of the week it is, you are just about retired. When you don't really care, you are fully retired.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Thank You Sponsors!