iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

starting seedlings - preventing "leggyness"

Started by Dan_Shade, March 29, 2007, 11:50:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

ok, what's the trick?

i have a bunch of plants that are hair thin and 4 inches tall (some "long" vice tall).

is it possible to get them to grow without artificial light?  how did the old timers do it?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Roxie

Well, I can't speak for all of the old timer's, but there used to be a big round yella thing come up in the East pret near every morning.  I've used that to some good advantage.   :D

What kind of seeds are ya trying to start? 
Say when

Dan_Shade

various peppers, tomatoes, cauliflower, brocolli, cabbage, brussel sprouts (I don't think I missed any).

I have them on a rack I made in a southwest facing window currently, some others are in a south east window.  but they are all inside.

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Corley5

Turn a fan on them.  The breeze promotes a thicker stem  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Norm

Corley's right about the fan helping but to be honest with you a window's sunlight will cause this. The best solution is to use grow lights or a cold box outside with good sun exposure.

Dan_Shade

ok, i may see if I can get something made up this weekend to get them outside.  I guess i'm concerned with the temps outside at this point.  I'm mainly doing this for "fun", but i do like playing around with this stuff....

I guess I know why started plants are more expensive than seeds!

crtreedude

Plants reach for the sun - trying to defeat that is going to be a bit hard.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

SwampDonkey

Up here we can't put out tomatoes until about the 2nd week of June for fear of late spring frost. I used to make a green house out of old windows on the south side of the barn and stick plants in there the end of April or first part of May to toughen them up from being in the house in a window.

Corley's idea works to thicken up the stems also.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

treebucker

They've hit the nail on the head...more light/good air flow but also look at thinning them out which will also help fix the first two problems. This is a good time to put them into a larger pot.
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and
I thought to myself, "Where the heck is the ceiling?!" - Anon

Thank You Sponsors!