iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Peterson Demo Day ...With A Real Peterson Guy

Started by Burlkraft, April 09, 2007, 09:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I got a flyer in my email from Petersons!   Hope this don't scare people off. :D

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chet

8) but who's dat der Brokaw fellar der talkin' 'bout.  ???
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum trapper.Go and see that swinger.I was real impressed the first time I saw one being used.They are quite the saw.Meet Jeff too.
Jeff,you have come a long ways with this forum.Your name should of been before Chris's.    :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

I caught up with Burlkraft this afternoon, attacking da redwood log with a sawzall....... ::) ::)

He's just cut da steel bands holding the bark tight.

I'll upload some more that I took.
She's a big-un, alright der,  eh eh
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Burlkraft

Ya gotta hand it to Beenthere   ;D ;D   He catches me in some great poses. First it was lookin' like Stumpy was givin' me a headache and here it looks like I just crapped my pants.... :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

JimBuis

Quote from: Burlkraft on April 19, 2007, 06:40:48 PM
Ya gotta hand it to Beenthere   ;D ;D   He catches me in some great poses. First it was lookin' like Stumpy was givin' me a headache and here it looks like I just crapped my pants.... :D :D :D

;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :)
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

beenthere

Ya oughta see da ones I can't show...... ;D
Here are a few more.

Motion shot cutting the last steel band, and the bark dropping away fast......critters a runnin away.......

Here I thought we's gonna saw her up with the Peterson, but he's attacking it with da big Stihl....makin short work of the 6" thick bark.

Perched up on treated supports, the crane will lift her off and set 'er down on timbers in the parking lot. Some solid wood it appears under there, as only the sapwood is punky. Some burl knots hangin off it, solid as the day they was born.

T'other side with bark off......gonna make some fine slabs, I do believe.  Standing aside this thing makes one feel pretty small. Gonna need some ladders ta get everyone on top for a good picture.

Found a furball of a "whatzit" that must be hibernating, as it wasn't movin a muscle, and in a deep sleep.  Whatzit?

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Burlkraft

Quote from: beenthere on April 19, 2007, 07:03:44 PM
Found a furball of a "whatzit" that must be hibernating, as it wasn't movin a muscle, and in a deep sleep.  Whatzit?

I told Beenthere I ain't never seen one with fangs and talons before and mebby we otta take it ta da lab fer carbon dating.......

He took it ta da dumpster fer Waste Management..... :D :D :D

Norm

I thought it was a picture of Steve's toupee that fell off. ;D

Burlkraft

My hair may be pretty much grey....But I got it all   ;)  ;)  ;)

Beenthere is a whole 'nuther story tho..... :D :D :D

theorm

That looks like a flying squirrel to me. Ya kinda fling em like a frisbee.........

Theo
The essence of loyalty is reciprocity.

Gary_C

Instead of hiring a crane, you could just get your guns out and shoot the supports out from under that log. I think Beenthere knows how to do that. Also isn't there someone thats coming that has a bunch of shells leftover that had bear written on them?    ;D

Just a suggestion.    :D :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

beenthere

When ya comin down, Gary?
Gonna need summ'at good wisdom an advice, come next week.  ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin

Burlkraft

Just got back from setting the log in the parking lot.

Yes...I forgot the camera, but it was just me and the crane operator so there really wasn't time for me to take any pictures....Mike kept me pretty busy.... ;) ;) ;)

They sent a 70 ton crane and it took a lot longer to set up and take down than it did to lift. There are 2 big checks one in each end and naturally they were running the wrong way... ::) ::) The 20' straps were too short to choke the log and rotate it so we had to block it and roll it. We went slow and made small rolls...3 of them but we got the checks horizontal now and she's all ready to be milled.... ;D ;D ;D

The crane drew a pretty big crowd from the neighborhood so I can't imagine what the saw demo will draw... ;D ;D

Oh yeah the log scaled 18, 680 lbs hangin' on the crane. The guy who gave me the log told me 10,000 and the volume calculator said 22,000..... ;) ;) ;)

Them supports that thing was sittin' on kinda disintegrated when the log was lifted off o' them. It prolly wouldn't have been long and she wudda been on the ground anyway.... ::) ::)

Gary_C

Quote from: beenthere on April 20, 2007, 03:44:15 PM
When ya comin down, Gary?
Gonna need summ'at good wisdom an advice, come next week.  ;D ;D

Ya, I hope to be there next week. But how are you going to be able to get that big log ready if I don't give you some advice before then?   ??? ???     :D :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Raider

Hi Steve: Just got back from Hudson,Wi. At my son's place and picked up the banner 5' X 3' Vertical. Made with Heavy vinyl. Should work if we have another "Event". Wisconsin Chapter of corse! Will be up Sat Morn. Hope we have good weather. See Ya later -Raider

Burlkraft

That's great Raider..... ;) ;) ;)

Gonna rain in da middle of da week, so I'm absolutly sure we'll have a nice weekend..... ;D ;D ;D

HSV

Whew!!!
What a read.
From cuttin a huge Redwood, to a Peterson demo day, to a blow up girl, to a dead thing stuck to a log!  I need a minute to take it all in!

Well, I'm jealous. 
I'm not going to the Shootout, can't make it to the Pig Roast, and can't even get to the greatest Redwood Vs Sawmill showdown WI ever seen!

But hey, in all seriousness, this thing has turned out fantastic.  It sounds like so many FF members are going to make the journey. Chris is pretty overwhelmed by the reaction so far and for once he's actually looking forward to his 18 hour flight and multiple security checkpoints!

What a cool offer from Mike as well.  Rust Reaper Rocks!

I'm with you Raider, I hope the weather is good too, can't have Chris catching a cold before the shootout!!!

IL Bull

It's a go,  the Bull brothers will be there. 8)
See ya there,
Joe
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

Jeff

Quote from: IL Bull on April 23, 2007, 11:13:20 AM
It's a go,  the Bull brothers will be there. 8)
See ya there,
Joe

There's just sumpthin about the way you put that that makes me think I should wear my boots. :D ;)

Furby

You weren't planning to wear your waders right from the start ???

OneWithWood

Furb, I almost posted the very same thing!!
Guess I shoulda  :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Furby

With the group that's getting together for this "demo"...... scuba gear may even be a good idea. ;)

IL Bull

It's just a name and not a substance(watch where you step though) :D :D :D ;D ;D
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

Thank You Sponsors!