iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Start of a new home

Started by badpenny, May 03, 2007, 10:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

badpenny

The sewer inspector was here this evening to give a "good to go" approval to my existing sewer system.  8) 8) 8) Tomorrow will be a trip to the county seat to apply for a building permit for a 22' x 32' house to replace my 40 some odd year old mobile home. This new house will be about 3' away from the mobile to start, and when livable, the mobile will be moved away{way away}.
  Next comes excavating for footing and foundation, lay up about 375 8" blocks, put a subfloor on, then the walls and roof, windows, doors, plumbing, electrical, heating, etc.  Not very many words, not too many steps, shouldn't take too long, right?  :D :D I hope to be "dried in" by 1 July, and livable before next winter.
   All the framing is cut and air dried for a year from my own logs. Trusses were bought 1 1/2 years ago. Subfloor, sheathing, roof deck have been in storage for a year. Electrical and plumbing parts are stored in marked boxes. Windows and doors are in storage. Gas fired boiler for in-floor heat is next to the plumbing parts.   Down side, siding is still in log form, as is half of the paneling for the interior. And rolls of insulation are still at the lumberyard. Its going to be a "work in progress" for a while, I guess.
Hope and Change, my foot,  It's time for Action and Results!

Handy Andy

Sounds like fun.  Did you saw your own sheathing or using plywood?
My name's Jim, I like wood.

WDH

I like a man with ambition :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

brdmkr

Sounds like a great project.  Nothing like building with wood that you cut yourself.  Keep us posted!
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

badpenny

The sheathing is 4x9 sheets of "buffalo board" as its called here, siding will be vertical board and batten from my own logs. The most important purchase will be batteries for the digi-cam, 'cause no pics, didn't happen, right? :D My cousin, who is a contractor, is going to spend the last 2 weeks of this month helping me get started, as he puts it, straight level plumb and square. Concrete is $125 cyd delivered, cement is $8.49 a bag, 24 bags for 6 yds comes out cheaper by a long way, and I already have water, sand and a mixer. One of the goals of this project is to do as much as I can that I am able to, and hire done what I can't, wont, or am incapable of doing. I would rather spend limited resources for things I can't do, and invest my time(free) on what I can do. Part of the reason for not moving the mobile home is I can survive 1 more winter in it if I have to, but having a new place for next winter will be a great incentive to keep working. So, the adventure begins.

Patty

Wow! What a project. Best of luck to you.  smiley_thumbsup

Building your own home is one giant adventure, one I would recommend to folks who have a stong will and even stronger marraige.  ;)   We are 4 years into this project we call home, and it just keeps getting better..
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Qweaver

We are doing much the same and are finding it very satisfying and fun...hard work but fun.
We're on our second year (third if you count the first year of preparing the land, felling trees and building sheds) of a similar project and we hope to have it livable by this fall.
Good luck!
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

badpenny

Building permit went well, issued over the counter in exchange for hard earned $$$$. Just one of the things I can't make or do for myself. Will be breaking ground this pm if the D-4 cat will start.

scgargoyle

Here in the South, we'd keep that ole mobile home as a right 'n proper place for kudzu vines to grow. Kinda makes its own little eeko-system! :D :D :D Good luck on the rest of your project- we're going to enter our own construction project in a coupla years.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

WDH

Badpenny,

I did the same thing you are doing.  Started out on the site living in a trailer.  You walked out of the trailer, off the little deck, down the steps, over 5 feet, and up the steps into the new house.  Since I was always there when I was not working the day job, I worked on something in the house every night and on the weekends.  Subcontracted out some stuff that I was not good at, did the rest myself.  A hard way to go, but it paid off for me.  Your post brought back a lot of old memories (most of them good ;D).  That was before I had the sawmill and the woodworking equipment.  I can't imagine what it would have been like to have had them.  All in all, I did amazing well with the little bit that I had.  With you own wood, you can do a lot of things that most people can't do in a new house.  Go for it 8).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

badpenny

First, thanks for all the encouragement and support. This has been a dream of mine since age 14 (will be 56 in June) to have a home on this property. My folks gave it to me when I came home on leave from boot camp. When I retired from Uncle Sam's Canoe Club 15 years ago, the mobile was the way to go to get a house quickly, and it has served it's purpose.
   The D-4 started just fine, and 4 1/2 hours of pushing dirt yielded a hole 25 x 35 with sloped ends, and 45" deep, so footings will be below frostline. It was dark and stormy looking, and rain started  about 15 minutes after I shut down the cat,
so the pics I took came out to dark to see anything. Today will be form boards for footings, and maybe pour some concrete.

badpenny

Going to try a photo, with different editing software

Okay, the pic posted, I have forms in and am pouring footings with my hand mixer

And have started laying blocks for foundation

Raider Bill

Are you mixing all your footers that way? WOW!
Will be watching with interest. Digging my basement first of next month.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

sawdust

Ambition Yea! I looked at that 3 cubic foot mixer and those forms and my back started to hurt. You will look back and love what you accomplished. congrats.

sawdust
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Tom

How difficult is it to get each of those 1yd pours to bind with one another?

badpenny

Tom, not hard at all if you just keep going  8) :D  Seriously, the west end, 22' was one pour, the north and south sides, 32' each, were each one pour, and when I stopped each time, I "stepped" the end so the next pour would have a scarf type of joint to begin with. I left the east end undone so I can get in and out with the Bobcat and a pallet of blocks. Once three walls are done, I will pour the last footer, and set the blocks from inside. Unorthodox, yes, but it works for me.

Tom

I remember my Uncle would wet the face of a joint before the next pour to help it stick.  It has to be wet a good while before though.  That's one of a bunch of building things I don't know, concrete work.  :D

Raider Bill

That's a bunch of work brother! Like Tom says my back is aching just thinking about it.

sawguy21

Yup, I remember footings and a wheelbarrow all too well.  :D Dad would also run planks along the outside of the wall form for the wheelbarrow. A few loads did not make it to the intended destination. That was DanG hard work.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Handy Andy

I always thought the footings were the hardest part of the whole job.  Keep the pics coming!  Jim
My name's Jim, I like wood.

badpenny

The footings are easy, set the mixer to dump each load in the forms, swing it back to load and mix, sit down for 5 min while it mixes, dump load, repeat. About every 3 loads, move the empty mixer a foot or so to a new spot on the forms. The wheel barrow is for the bag of cement , they sure are heavier now than they were 40 years ago. Must be "global gravity increase" or something. :D

Raider Bill

I've noticed many things are packed heavier these days. Used to be a 80 lb bag of cement was 80 lbs, now I believe they are closer to 180 according to my back anyway. :o

badpenny

Today's update, 3 foundation walls done, vent windows are in place

last short footer is formed up, ready to pour in AM

And I remembered to move the boiler inside with bobcat while I could still drive in and out, it weighs about 175 #, and would be difficult to put in through a trap door. Still have to form up 3 pier support bases, then lay about 90 more blocks, and can then start putting on the subfloor cap. We had .83 inches of rain/pea sized hail Fri nite in about 45 mins, so progress has slowed somewhat.

Loghead

Badpenny
Want to wish ya the best on your project!
my back feels for you, I laid 1100 12inch blk for my cabin and said i would never do it again.
on the last 2 rounds a friend who was like 83 yrs old showed up and started throwing them block up to me on the scafold
and boy did I feel like a wiiiiiiiner  :o :o  but truth be told I would do it all over again  :)
I'm not too far away (Akeley on the crow wing chain.) if you need any custom tile work let me know my company is Crow wing tile.
lovin anything handcrafted with logs!!

Don_Papenburg

Badpenny ,    I thought long and hard about the crawlspace in my house .  My conclusion was that as I get older I dislike crawling more and more . So my crawls are all 7foot to the ceiling and have smooth concrete floors
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Thank You Sponsors!