iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Newbie Timberking sawer needs help....

Started by JerryDS, May 06, 2007, 02:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerryDS

I am new to woodlot type sawing... Purchased a Timberking 1220 a few months back and am now just firing it up.

Well I managed to get 7 cuts after a return and turning the log for next cut the blade just stopped engaging >:(!!! 

I can turn the belt and wheel by hand but it wont engage when throttled up - any ideas??

PS
I have lurked here for a while waiting to get my mill up and operational.. This is a great site and now that I have hauled my logs in I am looking forward to sawing and visiting here...

Jerry

Bibbyman

I can't help you but welcome to the Forum anyway.   8)

Maybe one of the TimberKing guys will stop sawing long enough to come in and check the Forum. 

Else,  just get a glass of ice tea and take the afternoon off.  Call those guys at TimberKing in the morning.  They'll be waiting...  ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

fishman

check where the engine shaft comesw out of the motor and hooks to the clutch there is a wire that plugs in the back of the clutch, mine idi the same thing, had 1 rat bite  in the wire that let it ground out on engine block.

JerryDS

Thanks Fishman, went to look - the black wire to the clutch is attached at the clutch but the other end seems to be dangling - any idea where I should attach it???

fishman

should be two wires(black) coming out of the back of the clutch, 1 is a ground to the engine, the other should go to a relay under and behind the thorttle lever , 1red and 1 black or blue, look from the blade side in.

JerryDS

OK - both black wires are on clutch
        red wire is on relay switch (brass screw)
        another black wire was near but not attached to the relay switch... should it be attached to the other brass screw?

My meter does not indicate a break in the relay.

I really appreciate the help... guess I should have just had the tea  :D

fishman

yes ,thats how mine is hooked up , would send a pic but i haven't figured it out yet.

JerryDS

Thanks again - I will go hook it up and hope it engages, if not will call Timberking first thing in the morning..

Jerry

theorm

Jerry,

I think that you should have one wire on the C contact and one on the NO contact. To get really confused read the following.

It appears that the culprit is a limit switch. They have a button that is operated by a lever (or some external cable or cam.)  Not having a TK myself, I'm guessing that your clutch handle presses on this button. There is usually 3 brass screws to connect wires to the switch. They are marked C (common), NC (normally closed) and NO (normally open). Normally open means the switch is open (not making contact) when the switch was still in the box back on the shelf, not in its 'normal' condition on the machine, which one would think that it would normally be closed to pull in the clutch.
So you should be able to read continuity (0 ohms, or close to it) from C to NC with the button released and an open circuit with the button pressed. The opposite is true when you put the meter leads across C and NO.  THIS ASSUMES THAT THE WIRES ARE NOT CONNECTED TO THE SWITCH. Connected wires could change the readings. You only have one or two wires attached to the switch, so note where they are, take your readings and put them back.

Good luck,
Theo
The essence of loyalty is reciprocity.

JerryDS

Will check again but only two brass screws are visible... The switch you described is what I am used to...   The machine ran fine for 7 cuts... of course I did not "note" where the wires were when it was working fine :).. so I have to guess where the one dangling one should go - I am thinking it just was not connected securely when it was new ( I only had to unload and level the TK).  I dont believe the screws are labeled... Too hot to fight with it right now, will check when it cools off and probably call TK in the morning as well.

I am getting a normally open reading, no continuity through any of the screws

Thanks again everyone - I knew this place rocked 8)

Jerry

theorm

Jerry,

Does the owner's manual have an electrical schematic? If you are lucky, the color code will be on it. Or give them guys a call tomorrow.

There must be two connections to the switch. Be careful, one of them could be connected thru the switch body to the frame.  But if you have 2 screw connections and one of them is empty.... tomorrow.
The essence of loyalty is reciprocity.

JerryDS

That is my biggest complaint with TK - their manual leave MUCH to be desired.. Much of it is very vague or incomplete followthrough. 

I am sure their service dept will have the answer so might just have that tea and take the rest of the day off...

I will report back tomorrow and hopefully have an answer as well as a proper intorduction and info about us...

Jerry

sgtmaconga

Sounds like you have the same problem i had at first. if you look at your throttle lever it is a real soft metal. pull or push it to hard and it does not engage the clutch switch. check to see if this is were your out of sink.

took me 3 hours of looking to find it.

sgtmaconga
Measure twice cut once

JerryDS

:D well my lovely little wife was able to get her small hand and small line of sight to see that in fact there are supposed to be 3 brass screws... the one at the far left (when facing the blade) is missing, she could see the brass threads of the hole where the screw should be.... so after a few hours of looking for the elusive little creature I will have to get them to send one or tell me the size to get (could not remove the spare to swap)...

So hopefully we have solved the mystery - dont ya love newbies ;D

DanG

Yep, we do love newbies.  Welcome to the forum, Jerry, and good luck with that mill.  I'm sure Will and the boys will have you up and running in no time. :) :)

AND, a great big welcome and thank you to Fishman!  He's got a total of 3 posts logged on this forum, and all of'em are in this thread, trying to help a fellow out.  That's the ForestryForum spirit, if I ever saw it! 8) 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

JerryDS

Thanks for the welcome Dan and a big thank you to fishman taking the time to help a fellow sawer and newbie :)

Bibbyman

Quote from: JerryDS on May 06, 2007, 09:18:08 PM
:D well my lovely little wife was able to get her small hand and small line of sight to see that in fact there are supposed to be 3 brass screws... the one at the far left (when facing the blade) is missing, she could see the brass threads of the hole where the screw should be.... so after a few hours of looking for the elusive little creature I will have to get them to send one or tell me the size to get (could not remove the spare to swap)...

So hopefully we have solved the mystery - dont ya love newbies ;D

Somewhere on the Forum someone asked what was the most important accessory to the sawmill.  I listed a good wife! 

My wife is an expert at pointing out my faults!  laugh_at
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

JimBuis

Quote from: Bibbyman on May 07, 2007, 03:24:07 AM
Somewhere on the Forum someone asked what was the most important accessory to the sawmill.  I listed a good wife! 

My wife is an expert at pointing out my faults!  laugh_at

Come on now, she doesn't point out faults. She simply keeps you informed of your opportunities to improve. I know, because my wife is good at that too. ;)

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

flip

I've always dealt with Mike Alexander at TK he's their technical guru.  Call and ask for him or get his email if he's busy.
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Greg Cook

Hey Jerry, and Welcome. I just picked up a 1220 a few weeks ago, and mine has an off/on switch for the blade (or rather the electric clutch). Not sure how that throttle/clutch asembly should be wired. But you will find an answer on here (perhaps even the right one! )

Whereabouts are ya in West Tennessee?

Greg
"Ain't it GOOD to be alive and be in TENNESSEE!" Charlie Daniels

Thank You Sponsors!