iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ironwood

Started by Ron Wenrich, March 21, 2003, 05:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Wenrich

Here's something you don't see everyday - the fruiting bodies of ironwood.

These are second cut black oak logs.  Two different logs.  Luckily, they didn't make it to the headsaw.  They are saw killers.  Potential damage of at least $4000.

Note:  there is no blue in these logs.  It must have had some type of coating on it.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Tagerts_crossing

What is that in those logs?  some fence stuff ?
John Schoolcraft

Ron Wenrich

The top one looks to be part of a car spring leaf.  The bottom one is on some sort of post, maybe threaded.  It's about 3/8" steel.  The logs are about 16".

The logger said that an even bigger chunk of metal was in the butt log.  The tree formed a "Y" about 10' above the ground.  Speculation is a tree stand, but that's awful heavy metal for a tree stand.

The debarker found these and busted teeth.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

D._Frederick

Ron,
I was at the Wood Technology show this past week and there was at least 3 different company's that had machinary to run the logs through to check for metal. I don't know what the pay back would be, but with down time and blade cost, it may be something to look into.

Sawyerfortyish

Being from N.J. (the steel tree state) I see this every day some of the things I have seen range from arrowheads and bullets to bycycles and barbecue grills. The worst is cement poured in a hollow cavity of the tree. I hit a 40 lb hunk and sawed12" in before I could get stopped  :o OUCH

woodmills1

The worst I ever saw, or is that sawed :D, was an electrical box.  It was completly surrounded by tree.  However a local circle mill tells of finding an antique musket, and a firewood cutter showed me a 20 inch hammer he found
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Kevin_H.

'bout the worst thing I've hit was a screwdriver someone hammered into a tree...sure took the set right out of the band
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Kevin_H.

'bout the worst thing I've hit was a screwdriver someone hammered into a tree...sure took the set right out of the band
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Kevin_H.

ok how did that happen?

Fla._Deadheader

yeah, yeah, ya just wanted to be sure that we all read yer post ::) :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Kevin_H.

Well I do stutter a little bit, But I didnt think it affected my typing...But I didnt think it affected my typing... :o

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

Bout time to repost this picture again.

:-/

Fla._Deadheader

Mine Don't look like that. Mine still cuts, although, it makes rocking chair rockers. :o ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

biziedizie

So Tom what did ya hit to make that happen? I'm still waiting for the day that I wreck a blade and when I do it better be a blade that the customer has to pay for!

Steve

Tom

Minnesota_boy

Tom's blade looks like mine did when I ran it into the log clamp while I was carrying a board to the pile.  :D  I'm a slow learner, I've done it more than once. :o
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Tom

Minn Boy,

I think I suffer from ADD.  That's Attention Deficit Disorder.  It means that I can't keep my mind on my business and get distracted easily.  There is a name for it. I think they call it ADD or something like that.  Oh! I said that!  I'm getting confused. :-/

biziedizie

Yeppers cutting the dogs doesn't do a blade much good! I cut the dog and it's funny because it cut better afterwards, I still gotta take that blade in to find out why.
  My mill has a thing in front of it that won't let me whack the dogs and it works pretty good! Wish I installed it the right way before I cut the dog!

Steve

Jeff

What kinda thing does it have that lets you whack wood and not dogs?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chet

Dar ain't notting worse den showing off yur new mill to a bunch of buddies and wacking da dogs.   :'(   Told um I was trying to see if I could make dem jump, but they were'nt buying it.    ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

biziedizie

Jeff right in front of the blade guide rollers there's a blade guide bumper. What it is is a metal rod that is in front of the roller and it drops below the blade about an inch so if your dogs are in the way the rod hits it before the blade does. Works great and saves the blade.

Steve

Fla._Deadheader

Can't remember, does yer mill have power feed or hand feed. If power, how does it stop the carriage from traveling??  Sounds interesting??
   First, it is ridiculed;

biziedizie

I push mine but I would think that a power feed mill could have a set up that would kill everything if it got close to the dogs. It's nice to have on those days when the cell phone is ringing while your trying to do adjustments and after the call you go back to sawing but yet you have forgotten what you did and then bang you hit the dog!

Steve

Jason_WI

Tom,

Thats a strange looking blade profile you got there ;D Hardly any gullet and set might cause that blade to wander a bit ::)
Glass fence insulators are real tough to saw also. Almost as bad as horse shoes ;D

So far I've only hit a few nails and deck screws in two logs. And the occasional lazy log dog. I had a customer bring an oak log that had 5 distintive blue streaks on the butt end. My metal detector found 7 hot spots. I told them it would be real expensive for me to saw it into 4/4. I refused to cut it with my chainsaw for firewood.....

Jason

Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Thank You Sponsors!