iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

In feed / Out feed tables for planer

Started by Wudman, June 05, 2007, 10:17:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wudman

I've had enough wrestling with "roller stands" with my Woodmaster planer.  It's time for some good in feed tables.  Does anybody have a recommendation on a set up that works well?  As the table on the Woodmaster is the movable part, I was considering a stand that would raise and lower the planer and keep the tables stationary as opposed to having to readjust two tables with ever depth change.  Anybody tried this?  Thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

bedway

I have had a woodmaster for years and my first guess is your doing something wrong. You shouldnt have to adjust the rollers that much. If you can provide some more details maybe i can help you,,,bedway

Wudman

Bedway,

Right now I am using a couple of those portable roller stands.  Yesterday I was running 8/4 x 12 x 16' yellow poplar.  The individual roller stands just don't cut it.....I'd knock 'em over.....knock 'em sideways....Running this long stuff I want a good set of in feed tables.  I've got some 16/4 x 10 x 16' oak to run so I'm gonna need them soon.  Short stuff is no problem, the longer stuff is a hassle working by myself.  Thanks.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels

pineywoods

Problem is not unique to a woodmaster, any planner where the table raises and lowers instead of the head moving will have a problem with long heavy stuff. I have the same problem with the portable rollers on a tripod. I have a job coming up that's gonna involve some 24 ft 6X6 to run through my woodmaster. Ain't figured any good way to do it. Sure could use an infeed and outfeed table with rollers, that would adjust up and down. Never thought about raising the entire planner, might be easier.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

woodhick

Not sure of a solution to your question, but if you are having problems with knocking over the current stands that you are using i may have a solution.  I built a stand and used an old brake drum from a large truck for the base.  It is heavy and stable, if you need to move it just tip it up and roll.   
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Wudman

Nice idea Woodhick.  I did something similar to mount my bench grinder.  It is sitting on a big truck wheel and axle.  That works well.  I may just have to do the same with the roller stands.  They would be on a stable base anyway.  Thanks.
Charlie Daniels

Larry

I had an outfeed table on a 30" Crescent.  To adjust height it had a swinging leg on one end while the other end was attached to the table.  It was quick to adjust by just pushing on the leg with your foot.

I prefer roller stands...but I'm not running big and heavy like you are.  Besides making the roller stand heavy, use an extra big roller.  4" is about minimum diameter with 6" being a lot better.  The weight and extra big roller keep it from being pushed around.

This is my first attempt at a roller stand.  Latest model has a 6" roller, three legs so it always sits on the floor solid, and weighs maybe 4 times as much.  Sorry that it's not available for a picture at this time.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

metalspinner

I once saw in a surplus catalogue the inner workings and frame for electric car seats.  I always thought that would make good outfeed tables.  If placed on top of a cabinet, it could be rolled around to different machines and tilted and lifted to match up perfectly to the tables of the different tools.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

TexasTimbers

Bedway is thinking you are having trouble with your feed rollers I think. Not on the same page. i can relate though I have a Woodmaster and about the only thing I don't like about it is the table moves versus the head. I don't like the rollers either because you do have to adjust them further up as you plane when you are doing large heavy stock to minimize snipe.

I wanted to make a planer bed for mine so I could use it as a jointer too, but haven't figured out how I want to do that yet.

If you haven't ordered the Shelix Type cuterhead from Woodmaster yet I highly reccomend it. You'll never go back to HSS again.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

flht01

I just picked up my 725 last week but haven't had a chance to put it together yet. One of the options I decided to get was in-feed/out-feed tables that bolted up and folded down when not in use. I'll post pictures when I get it uncrated.

TexasTimbers

I hope you spent the extra $1600. I know I sound like a broken record but you will not believe the difference.

flht01

Quote from: kevjay on June 06, 2007, 05:34:52 PM
I hope you spent the extra $1600. I know I sound like a broken record but you will not believe the difference.

I didn't but will before I get too far along, just have to recover from sticker shock first.  :o

While we're on the topic of woodmasters, has anybody tried using the router attachment to make tounge and groove in place of a router table or shaper?

Ironwood

Well, I have had several plans for addressing dis issue over da years. I currently have two Beach stroke sander tables I was going to use for just dis purpose (they have a bevel gear and gibbed ways and raise and lower a pretty good distance).  I would sell both fairly cheap (w/ all da other various parts to da sanders as well) for like $300 for both.

My new, albeit more expensive solution are hydraulic scissor lifts. I have several bouncing around da shop at any given time. They are great mobile work stations and come in real handy for dis purpose.( Someone YOPPERIZED my words, I don't speak like this)

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

pineywoods

re    router attachment for woodmaster

real picky to get set up right, but it works fine...ran a bunch of V groove tongue and groove paneling...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

flht01

Quote from: pineywoods on June 07, 2007, 07:48:39 PM
re    router attachment for woodmaster

real picky to get set up right, but it works fine...ran a bunch of V groove tongue and groove paneling...

Thanks for the info, pineywoods. I'll put the attachment on the "like to have" list along with the Shelix Type cuterhead. It'll probably be quite awhile though, I need a good bandsaw and jointer first.

Wudman

Quote from: Ironwood (Reid Crosby) on June 07, 2007, 05:21:35 PM
Well, I have had several plans for addressing dis issue over da years. I currently have two Beach stroke sander tables I was going to use for just dis purpose (they have a bevel gear and gibbed ways and raise and lower a pretty good distance).  I would sell both fairly cheap (w/ all da other various parts to da sanders as well) for like $300 for both.

My new, albeit more expensive solution are hydraulic scissor lifts. I have several bouncing around da shop at any given time. They are great mobile work stations and come in real handy for dis purpose.( Someone YOPPERIZED my words, I don't speak like this)

Reid

Reid,

This is one of my lines of thought.  I was considering a hydraulic scissor lift for the planer and leaving the feed tables stationary ( a nice heavy platform for the planer).  Is your scissor lift stable enough that the planer wouldn't try to "wiggle" around?  Thanks.

Wudman
Charlie Daniels

TexasTimbers

I don't get what you mean Wudman.. How are you going to leave the feed tables stationary? You mean let the planer go up and down? That's 800 pounds that would be riding up and down on those little all thread jack screws plus the weight of the board being planed. Not sure I would want that.

TexasTimbers

Quote from: Ironwood (Reid Crosby) on June 07, 2007, 05:21:35 PM( Someone YOPPERIZED my words, I don't speak like this)

I must admit it raised my eyebrow. I thought how out of character it was for you to speak this way. Silly me yeah, but not Reid!  I feel better now. ;D

Wudman

Quote from: kevjay on June 08, 2007, 12:51:33 PM
I don't get what you mean Wudman.. How are you going to leave the feed tables stationary? You mean let the planer go up and down? That's 800 pounds that would be riding up and down on those little all thread jack screws plus the weight of the board being planed. Not sure I would want that.

I was thinking of using a hydraulic ATV / Motorcycle scissor lift to raise and lower the planer.  That way, the infeed and outfeed tables could be made solid.  On the other hand, maybe I should just make the tables of the scissor lift variety and then they could be moved around the shop as needed.  Using a hydraulic jack as the operating mechanism, adjustments would be fairly simple.  Maybe I was trying to out think myself. 

Wudman
Charlie Daniels

TexasTimbers

I like the mobile scissor lift for tables better too. i want to keep my planer mobile as well. I won't get around to that project until next year probably. If you beat me to it post some pics if'n you don't mind.

Ironwood

Actually, I had not thought of making the planer raise and fall on a movable table. If it isn't too heavy that would work well and is a GOOD thought for a smaller planer. You could then use the tables for assembly or whatever. All my planers are ,.........well HEAVY. This is a good thought. Your amount of throw would only need to be whatever the travel on the planer is.

My scissor are very stable, Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

limbrat

Me thinks that if you stood a piece of 6or8" square tubing made a deck on top for the planer and capped the bottom. Then made a base to go around the tubing with 2 angle irons to each flat side of the tubing running up the side of the tubing. then mount a couple of them cup ball bearings between the angles and the tubing that would allow the tubing to ride up and down without any side to side slop. a hyd floor jack under the tubing should be able to accuratly lift and lower the planer.

You could make the whole thing out of angle. Hope you can get a picture from my poor discription
ben

Fla._Deadheader

Run the Planer upside down ???  Might have to plug the vent on the gearbox, if it has one ???

Infeed and outfeed table stays the same height ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

BBTom

Why not just bolt heavy legs to the bed of the planer and let the planer screws raise and lower itself as it is adjusted??

To get the proper length, just raise the bed to its highest point (thinnest cut) and measure to the floor.  Make your legs an inch longer.  My grizzly has two bolt holes in each corner of the bed where the roller brackets mount.  The legs could be bolted on with these bolts.  

Build your tables or roller beds (my preference) so the top of the table or rolls are the same height as the bed after bolting the legs onto it.  
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

TexasTimbers

that's what i was talking about putting all the weight of the planer and the lumber on those jack screws BB. Not sure it would be a goof idea for the motor or the threads. I can plane a 25 1/2" by 6 1/2" board. Those alone can get kind of heavy. But I do love the idea. If I know it would nor burn out the motor (couold always replace it with a bigger HP) or trash the jack screws or worse yet the females threads in the cast ears of the planer bed, I would do exactly that. It's a very attractive idea for many reasons.

Thank You Sponsors!