iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Handling Equipment

Started by Ken, June 17, 2007, 10:11:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken

I am trying to decide on what would be the most efficient machine for moving random length logs around a wood yard.  The logs will range in length from 8-18' and will be a variety of species but mostly softwood.  We shouldn't have to move anything more than 2-300'.  It is expected that we will be using 50-60 cords of wood/day but some of this material will be piled alongside the infeed deck upon delivery. 

Any thoughts?

Ken
Lots of toys for working in the bush

sawguy21

How many logs do you need to move at a time? A loader with a thumb would be best for multiple pieces. Check out the link at the left to LogRite
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

Is the log yard paved?  or the other extreme - possibly knee-deep in mud?

Do you want features that can be used for other jobs - such as off-loading trucks, moving stacks of lumber/ties/timbers ?  Interchangeable forks, grapple, bucket, etc. ?

Investment $$$'s limited to ___?

Thought of a tool like Bibbyman's?

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ken

Quote from: sawguy21 on June 17, 2007, 10:50:43 AM
How many logs do you need to move at a time? A loader with a thumb would be best for multiple pieces. Check out the link at the left to LogRite

I suspect if we can move 1-2 tonne at a time it should be sufficient.  I too have been leaning towards a loader with a log thumb attachment.  How heavy of a loader would need to be considered?
Quote from: beenthere on June 17, 2007, 11:30:56 AM
Is the log yard paved? or the other extreme - possibly knee-deep in mud?

Do you want features that can be used for other jobs - such as off-loading trucks, moving stacks of lumber/ties/timbers ? Interchangeable forks, grapple, bucket, etc. ?

Investment $$$'s limited to ___?

Thought of a tool like Bibbyman's?

The yard will not be paved at the beginning.  However the ground will be grubbed to the substrate which is primarily sandstone.  In areas of heavier vehicle traffic a extra layer of this sandstone will be placed.  If a front end loader is chosen we will also use it for snow plowing and moving bark and/or chips around as required so yes we will need some attachments.  As with any start-up our investment money is limited.  I have a tentative budget of $60-75K for this aspect of the operation.  That will certainly not buy new but should buy a decent machine that will allow for us to get operational.

I'm not sure what Bibbyman's unit is! :P

Thank you for your insight.

Ken

beenthere

I'm thinkin then a 4wd Ag tractor, with interchangeable forks and bucket, with potential for 3pt attachments on rear. In the 60 hp range.

This one is posted in Norm's gallery.   Re-sale or trade-in value will remain high, relative to a dedicated log mover, I think.

Bibbyman's Terex is what I was referrin to.  Can look in Bibbyman's gallery for some great pics.

(I almost lost your reply, as it was within the brackets [  ] of the quote. I'm slow.  :)  )
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

maple flats

I move logs with clamp on forks on a front end loader on a 25 HP AG tractor, it works but if you have a lot to move or need to make good time you want a bigger rig. I can pick most soft woods at 18' up to about 16" but over that I need to lift from the cross arm between the arms inboard from the bucket and then I can lift up to about 18", larger I must drag. in med size and 8 or 10 ft long I can often lift 2. a 60 hp tractor could lift at least 3 or maybe 4 times as much, especially if you had regular forks mounted where the bucket would rather than clamp ons that extend out in front of the bucket. If you have a large production to handle something like the terex bibbyman has would be the best
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

thecfarm

What about an old half worn out truck with a loader on it for starters.Wouldn't be going down the road 50 mph with it or no need to put 5000 bf on it.A short bed would be easier to get around the yard with.Good luck with whatever you choose.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

woodmills1

once you have a log grapple you wont use anything else.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

barbender

I think an old truck with a loader on it would work pretty good for that. You do a lot less manuevering with a regular log loader than you would with anything that is using a front end loader.  That said, a few mills I've seen around here use four wheel drive/steer old pettibone forklifts. If your yard gets sloppy you should consider a forwarder like the Iron Mule that one of the members has, I can't remember his name right of the bat. Tree farmer made a smaller forwarder too, I think it was based on a C5. One of the mills close to here has one of those they use for slinging wood around the yard
Too many irons in the fire

Ron Wenrich

50-60 cords/day is a sizable amount of wood.  If you're looking at 4-6,000 lbs/cord.  So, you're talking about moving 125-150 tons of wood per day.  You're not going to be doing that with a farm tractor.

We move that volume each day, and maybe more.  We have a John Deere articulated loader.  It has forks and a log bailer.  We use it to unload log trucks, load logs into the mill, unload the mill, and to load lumber onto trailers.  We also use it to load the firewood processor when another loader isn't available.  We made a bucket for it to load mulch, sawdust and move snow.  We also get to rent it out for major snow removal. 

Our capacity is somewhere around 6 tons, but we have lifted heavier.  You'll get a lot more work done in a shorter amount of time, which makes it cost effective. 

I would start out with a used loader, just from a cost standpoint.  Tires should be adequate, but you really want that log bailer.  6 ton lift would be a minimum.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ken

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on June 19, 2007, 05:56:20 PM
50-60 cords/day is a sizable amount of wood. If you're looking at 4-6,000 lbs/cord. So, you're talking about moving 125-150 tons of wood per day. You're not going to be doing that with a farm tractor.

I would start out with a used loader, just from a cost standpoint. Tires should be adequate, but you really want that log bailer. 6 ton lift would be a minimum.

I too was thinking that a farm tractor may be a bit small for our application.  When you mention a "log bailer" do you just mean a log grapple (arm) that clamps over the logs on a set of forks?  That is what I am leaning towards with of course a quick attach for bucket and snow blade.   

Thanks for your input.

Ken

Ron Wenrich

That's what I mean.  There are several styles.  Some have one arm, others have 2 that are joined together.  It looks more like a "V".  I prefer the 2 armed type, as they are more stable and give a wider bite.

You won't need a quick attach if you build your own bucket.  You just slide your forks under the bucket and you can use your bailer to keep it tight.  We have sleeves for our forks to fit into.  They are closed at the end to keep out dirt.  Our bucket holds a couple of cubic yards.

If you use the bucket, you won't need a blade.  Just push and stack. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Mooseherder

Ken, I know of a Michigan Wheel Loader not to far from you in Van Buren Maine.
The owner is from New Brunswick but is now living in Maine. He was in the Mill business for 30 years. This is the same gentleman I bought my mill from. He offered the loader to me at a fair price but I wasn't ready to buy as I have to focus on my building next. He recently put in about 15 thousand into it along with a new paint job. It has the Log grapple that will unload the whole load of logs off the truck (2 arm type as Ron described) and also a Bucket he uses for snow removal in winter. I think it is well within your budget and I'm guessing he is wanting around 30 grand for it. PM me if your interested, I will give him a call and put him in touch with you.

Thank You Sponsors!