iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

exciment

Started by hiya, July 08, 2007, 03:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hiya

I was in my office on the computer, my son comes down and says dad whats
going on at the neighbors? Fire trucks &ambulance (sp?). Went over, here he was burning brush, using gas :o. 2nd degree burns to face, neck & legs. Life flight started to land in my small field, than crossed the lane to a neighbors field. Took him to Baltimore to check him over.
Richard
RichardinMd.

sawguy21

That is sad but it happens all the time. Some people have to learn all their lessons the hard way.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

low_48

I remember that we used gas for about everything when I grew up on the farm. Cleaning paint brushes, washing parts, even washing grease off our hands. I still remember the day I started a brush pile with a little gas. Luckily I threw the match and felt the percussion of the fire lighting off. Just about put out the fire with the dampness in my pants :o That was at least 40 years ago, remember it like it was yesterday.
Best of luck for your neighbor, he's in for a world of hurt this summer.

thecfarm

We used gas for a lot of differant things too,but never for starting brush fires.Kerosone works much better to start a fire with.I have a flame thrower that goes on to a propane tank.Should of had that 30 years ago.Stick that into the brush and it really starts a fire quick,easy and saftley.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

maple flats

I'll second the flame thrower torch. Mine was sold as a weed burner but it is what I use to start the evaporator fire for making maple syrup. No kindling, just prop the torch so the flame is directed into the stack of firewood and it is going real good in short order. I wouldn't suggest it for inside the house to light a fireplace, too hot.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Raider Bill

When you throw gasoline around the fumes or vapors tend to stay close. You don't know it until you strike a spark. That's a instant 1500 degrees of heat all around you.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

flip

In my earlier years, my grandfather put me to work picking up sticks, trimming limbs, general yard care stuff.  We would pile everything up in a spot in an old orchard to burn at the end of the week.  Since he was quiet a bit slower than I was at the time I volunteered to be the torch man.  Invision this pile, 15'x15'x10' high.  I start the ritual by pouring on the nearest flamable liquid we had, on this day it was gas in the back of the cart.  Me being the conservative one put on about 2 gallons (which I thought was overkill) and was quickly ordered to dump it all on, all 5 gallons.  We used a very sophisticated flame delivery system (corn cob) to light the fire from a distance.  Little gas on the end, light, throw, enjoy the wooooof!  Me the untrained veteran, knew that I had more than enough to do the job backed it up an extra 10 feet to make sure I was out of the "blast zone".  The ground where I was standing was slightly down hill from the brush pile and it took some wind measuring and other high tech measuring to figure I was in the perfect location for ignition.  I tell grandfather to move to my right and make sure he and the golf cart was far enough away as to not be in danger.  I look left right, up (not down, you'll find out in a second why that was bad poker)  poured a perfect table spoon of gas on the corn cob and began the mental countdown.  I pulled the strike anywhere matches out and put two together so as to have enough to light up.  As I pulled the matches across the box I look down and notice this strange liquid flowing down around me, "hmm, I thought, it's not raining and I'm not peeing" just about that time the matches light and I realize my error in being down hill.  It is very interesting being in the center of a fireball, kinda surreal.  Needless to say, my grandfather thought it was hilarious, my boot laces are melted together, and the skin is falling off my left leg, not to mention it looked like I could have been a poster child for Nair hair remover.  To the doctor and a few weeks and quarts of burn cream.  I was lucky, I guess it could have been worse.  I still use gas to help dad burn stuff but I am much more cautious ::)
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

leweee

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Thank You Sponsors!