iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

John Deere 2 cylinder

Started by WAGZ, July 22, 2007, 11:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAGZ

Anyone out there running their mill with a good ole' PUTT PUTT ??  I've got a 1951 JDR and I'd love to stick her on the Big Belt and see if I could make her puff a bit of black out the stack........ ;D
I'd do the same for somebody I liked !!

Corley5

mitch is a member here who ran his mill with a stationary two cylinder.  A W I think.  He also might of used a G on it.  Think he's got pics in his gallery.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

WAGZ

oh ya?......that'd be great !!........I'm a bit of a JD fan .......I just love listenin' to them old putt putts!!

beenthere

That Deere model R should give you about 43 hp at the belt. But I recall it as more of a pound-pound than a putt-putt   ;D ;D ;D

Pics or video of that hooked to a mill would be great.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dave Shepard

I am a Farmall man, but I think the model R is a neat tractor. A stationary JD two cylinder would be a W-111, I believe. I think it is the same engine as a D, they are fairly rare. I have seen McCormick-Deering WK-40s running a mill before, very smooth power.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WAGZ

Yeah that sounds about right.......she's rated about 49 hp on the drawbar.....and I kno when I go out to the odd tractor pull she'll outpull an Allis Chalmers D21 ....lol......and yes its a bit more of a thump thump..........the crowd just loves it when it gets right down in rpm under load.........but I'd like to get working somehow other than just pullin'

Quote from: beenthere on July 22, 2007, 01:10:09 PM
That Deere model R should give you about 43 hp at the belt. But I recall it as more of a pound-pound than a putt-putt   ;D ;D ;D

Pics or video of that hooked to a mill would be great.

sawguy21

They do have a unique sound. We pulled hay wagons with them while in our teens, one farmer had a heavy cylinder head hanging from the front axle to keep the wheels on the ground.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thurlow

When the Museum of the Appalachians ( click here) has its annual Fall Homecoming, they run their mill................sorry that I don't know what it is..........with a "G".  I love it...........
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

WAGZ

I also like the Farmalls........(Red Makes Power!!) my Dad used to run a "Super M" rowcrow a way back........ He always liked to take it down to the neighbours old Mill by the river and hook er up to the pulley driven planer let er snort for a while..........

Quote from: Dave Shepard on July 22, 2007, 01:17:25 PM
I am a Farmall man, but I think the model R is a neat tractor. A stationary JD two cylinder would be a W-111, I believe. I think it is the same engine as a D, they are fairly rare. I have seen McCormick-Deering WK-40s running a mill before, very smooth power.

Dave

Dave Shepard

We've got a Super M as well. I have ground hundreds of tons of grain with it. We have a bunch of Farmalls that we use every day here. When we chance upon a green one we sell it and buy a bunch more red ones. :D ;)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

beenthere

Dave
Wonder if there is a reason you can get a bunch of red ones for a green one  ::) ::) ??? :D :D :D

Jus kiddin.... :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Haytrader

Kinda off topic but along the same lines as some of the posts.
I traded an 82 Harley FXR off yesterday and got an 82 Suzuki GS850 and a lot of green. Just got back from a nice ride and have a nice check to deposit in the morning.

:)
Haytrader

sawmilllawyer

8) Good for you Moto I mean Haytrader.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Kansas

Theres a reason they paint John Deeres green...... That way, they can hide in the grass when the Internationals drive by.......

Dave Shepard

I have a good friend who likes the Deeres, he told me that the Farmalls are painted red so when they are broken down in the field the repairman can find them. I said yeah, the Deeres are green so nobody will notice them when ther are broken. We both got a laugh out of that one.

beenthere, the Deeres are absolutely more valuable than the Farmalls. IH made so many red ones that they are neither rare or very unique, with exceptions. The Deeres on the other hand had much lower production numbers, and that makes them more desireable, especially when you have a model that was made in even lower numbers. I do have a few fairly rare red ones though. I have Super W6-TA #10028, which is a rare bird, and the 28th one made. I also have an I-14 with electric start, lights on rubber. There are supposedly only about 50 ever made, and less with factory electric. We also have an F-14 with a Waukesha motor, another very unusual tractor.

Dave

lmbeachy

Put that R on the mill and let the red boys eat their heart out. Seriously, it should run a mill just fine.
hotfoot

thurlow

Quote from: Dave Shepard on July 22, 2007, 09:06:52 PM
  IH made so many red ones that they are neither rare or very unique, with exceptions. The Deeres on the other hand had much lower production numbers  Dave

Never really thought about production numbers...........  figures I can come up with are:  IH 2,500,000.  This is McCormick-Deering thru the last of the letter series.   JD 1,515,500.  Waterloo Boy thru the last of the 2-cylinders.
:P

Haytrader

Dave,

The production numbers may have been slanted back when but should not be now. Green is king around here in dryland wheat country. You can buy a same HP red tractor much cheaper than a green one.

In some of my tractor trades I have found out that different colors of tractors are more popular in different areas. If you trade for a green one that needs a little TLC and you clean it up and put fresh paint on it, it will sell well in all areas.
Haytrader

WAGZ

Quote from: thurlow on July 22, 2007, 10:01:37 PM
Quote from: Dave Shepard on July 22, 2007, 09:06:52 PM
  IH made so many red ones that they are neither rare or very unique, with exceptions. The Deeres on the other hand had much lower production numbers  Dave

Never really thought about production numbers...........  figures I can come up with are:  IH 2,500,000.  This is McCormick-Deering thru the last of the letter series.   JD 1,515,500.  Waterloo Boy thru the last of the 2-cylinders.
:P

I just seen a real interesting IH sell at an auction It was similar to a W9 it was an industrial called an ID -9 ......it had factory duals and all......

Dave Shepard

IH has made so many tractors no one company will equal their production numbers. At one time they had made more tractors than all other manufactureres combined. I think there were about 400,000 each of H's and M's, as opposed to aobut 60,000 each JD B's and A's. I am not trying to start a war here, just making a point of why the IHs aren't as collectable. I love the IHs, but they are "run of the mill" in FF parlance. ;D

Dave

D._Frederick

Isn't the JD R the first diesel tractor deere built?

thurlow

Nor am I trying to start a war.  :)  No one will ever know the exact numbers, but these are the best approximations by those who have researched it........Farmall "H", Super "H"--420,000;  "M", Super "M", Super "MTA"--364,907;  John Deere "A", "AR", "AO", "AI"--330,000;  John Deere "B", "BR", "BO", "BI"--312,514.  No one disputes that there were about 1,000,000 more red than green ones manufactured in the time frame.  

beenthere

south central Wisconsin

treebucker

We had a rare old model A that we used for years. We also had a number of IH/McCormick M's, H's and one C. (My dad like to get at least one new or used tractor a year.) The test bed we used to determine the power of the old tractors was an old belt-powered hammermill we used to grind feed with. The C couldn't cut it. The H's barely got by. The M's and the Model A ran a close 1-2. That Model A had a straight pipe exhaust on it. You could hear it for miles when it was under load. After using it for a while the exhaust manifold would glow a dull red. When the air was still (and the moon in the right phase) it would blow smoke rings 20' across at low idle. It almost never failed to start and to give you several good shots of fuel on your pants legs while doing it. Fond memories of that old tractor.
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and
I thought to myself, "Where the heck is the ceiling?!" - Anon

sawman

Dad and I were talking the other day and he said my grandfather used to run a mill with a  B John Deere . Said it did a pretty good job for its time.

'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

Thank You Sponsors!