iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Form of Birth Control

Started by fencerowphil (Phil L.), August 08, 2007, 03:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

At three o'clock I stopped stacking lumber.  The heat index was 119 deg. F. :o
The actual temp. 101.  Hardly any breeze.  High humidity.  Our long
range forecasts show some relief about Sunday.

Since I was beginning to feel chills occasionally, I knew it was time to head
for home.
:-[
In spite of the consumption of about 7 quarts of water, iced tea, and a well-known
sports drink,   ALL my body fluids had leaked out and ran into my socks.  Even my
elbows were dripping.

That makes it almost certain that I have indeed discovered a new form of birth control.
Anything not dried up has shriveled up. :'(

Of course, I am praying for and expecting a full recovery.
Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

olyman

thats a good un---i have a hard time believeing that sports drinks didnt keep you hydrated---can tell ya this--when it gets really hot---i dont drink water--because it doesnt replace the electrolytes leaching out your body--at a high rate of speed--i was in the basement of house--cutting the dirt for concrete forms for floor--under the house!!!!!!!! and i drank copious amounts of gatorade--and never tired all day!!!! is was 105 in the basement--and humidity was running of the concrete block foundation-----

Todd

Bassed upon the topic title, I was curious as to where you were standing while milling!! :o
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

Haytrader

::)
I thought you were going to tell us you leap frogged a stump and didn't jump high enough.

:D :D :D
Haytrader

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

No, No, NO!

Neither the saw, nor a stump made an "encounter of the delicate kind,"
but I see the title did leave a lot to the imagination.

It was a day and a half rolled into one short one, though.
The helper who had said, two days ago, "Now your work is going to
be my priority," (you guessed it) did not show up.  That means I was
sawing with my swingblade and off-bearing and loading the trailer too.

Noticed, thank the Lord I did notice, that one of the spring hangar bolts
had fallen out or broken, so had to replace that grade8 right away.
Prepped a stack foundation for air drying and began to stack the new lumber.
I think stacking goes three times as fast with two people in normal weather.
When it's this hot, and it's just me working alone, I believe it goes four times as slow.

Gotta unload that trailer from 7 P.M. 'til dark, because it will be needed early tomorrow.

Where's that well-known sports drink?    Hope it has chilled enough.

Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

asy

Must admit, based on the title, I thought this was gonna be a 'Chainsaw Accident" story.

I'm really glad, for you, it's not.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

rebocardo

Glad to hear this wasn't what I thought had happen to you in a sawmill forum  :D   Yep, it was hot today. Some year I am going to have to get A/C that really works in my trucks.

brdmkr

Phil,

I had me a dose of one man swing blade sawing a few weeks ago.  I don't think it was as hot then as it has been this week, but it was close.  I noticed that I had stopped sweating :o and that my head felt like it was baking, but my skin had goose bumps :o :o :o :o

Wouldn't you know DanG showed up to make sure I was going to make it ;D.

He thought he was going to catch me sawing, but instead he caught me slamming gator aid and sitting in front of the fan.  I don't aim to get that hot again.  I was a little concerned.

Be careful in this heat and try to drink so much that you never get thirsty. 

Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Dave Shepard

Heat stroke is dangerous business, if you aren't paying attention, your toast and you don't even realize it. I once drank two gallons of water and a gallon of gatorade between 7 am and 3:30 and never had to visit any large trees in the woods. And I still got dehydrated. :o

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dodgy Loner

I was busy bucking a 36" white oak log into firewood and sawlogs this afternoon.  I was drenched with sweat after five minutes.  After I got the tree cut up, it was time to load the sawlogs (7-8 feet long) onto a trailer...by hand...using only ramps, chains, two peaveys and four very tired and sweaty Georgia boys :o.  I'm shopping for a winch this weekend  ::).
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

Having to saw, off-bear, and stack in this heat is brutal.  Definitely takes the amour out of things.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

This heat wave we're having in the Southeast is not just uncomfortable.  It is downright dangerous.  If you guys can suspend the strenuous outdoor activities, you should.  It's a good time to be working in the woodshop. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

woodbeard

Ya, last week got to me pretty good. Took the first two days off this week cause I was still wiped out/sick from it. Now, I'm starting about 6 and working til about 11:30

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: DanG on August 09, 2007, 09:52:55 AM
This heat wave we're having in the Southeast is not just uncomfortable.  It is downright dangerous.  If you guys can suspend the strenuous outdoor activities, you should.  It's a good time to be working in the woodshop. ;)

Not if the woodshop holds heat like an oven and doesn't have a decent fan :-\.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Dave Shepard

Our sawmill has an insulated ceiling. That combined with being out of direct sunlight makes a huge difference. Today was much better. About 80 with no humidity. 8) 8) 8)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Well, today the temp crept up another degree or two.  Tomorrow is supposed to
step it up again to 104 - 106 range. 
smiley_rainbow_colors
Today we started stacking more of that nice Red Heart SweetGum at about 6:30.
Broke down and loaded the Peterson swinger. Loaded more lumber.  Delivered a
little sap SweetGum.  Left the site at about 11:00 for other stuff and lunch.  Boy was it nice
to go to the Dublin Country Club at 3:00 and tune a piano in the air conditioned dining room
to finish out the day!

Wouldn't ya know!  Tommorow, a local veternarian is bringing a 30" deadhead/sinker to do a
trial run on it.  He has another one and a source for quite a few more.  We will set
up at 6:30 AM and cut the first one.  He thinks its either Cypress or old growth Long Leaf
Yellow Pine.  Set up and sawing of that one  big log may be all we do.

I better get on the phone and set up some air-conditioned environment type work for noon or so.

Phil L.

WDH

Makes me want to air condition my woodshop.  It is definitely too hot to do much work now. 

The temps that Phil is talking about down here will suck the breath out of you.  This has been one of the worse weeks I can remember in 20 years.  The mid-1980's were like this too, if some of y'all remember.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Percy

Way up north here, we are very lucky for two reasons. It dont usually get that hot and when it does, we work the 'Early shift". Start at about 4 am. In june and july its already light  out enuff to work. Quit at noon or even earlier. The hard part is gettting to sleep at 7 pm when the rest of the world is  still going full tilt....on the birth controll thread title, I was thinkin that mebey a cranky blade got nasty with the riggin.... glad to hear I was wrong ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Back when I had my piano rebuilding shop going in the early 80s,
we would do that trick:  Start at 4:00 AM.  We would pump in
the cool air until about 10:00 in the morning.  The 20-inch-thick brick
walls of the shop would hold the cool.  Inspite of 100 degrees outside
the shop never got over about 84.   The trick was to not pump in the hot air.

Phil L.                              Don't have enough light outside for the sawing
                                       around here, however - not at that early time.

rebocardo

Was 106 here today! Inside the house the temp. got to 81 degrees! Thankfully, I have some oak trees shading the house.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

They predict 103 for Dublin today.  It was 103 to 106 yesterday,
depending on what specific spot you were in.

Went out before sun-up this morning to tidy up a sawing site, then
checked to see if another sinker cypress had been delivered at my place.
Checked on some big Poplars 10 miles north to be sawn next Saturday.
Gotta hurry and check on set up of a job that starts Wed. AM and it's
22 miles south.

It will be my luck that about the time it hits 100 deg that
missing cypress log shows up!  By then I will be wanting to
be back inside.

Whew!

Phil L.

brdmkr

I sawed about 500 bdft this morning before it just got too hot.  It is too hot out now to breathe.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

After a one-day respite, it's about to be even hotter in Dublin, GA.

Predicted actual for    Tuesday:         105 F
                                Wednesday:           107 F
                                Thursday:   103 F

We start a job Wed. with a lot of old pine - shorts, cat faces - most with loose bark. 
The customer wants mainly 1X6 to use for interior decorative stuff.  (Dread.)
But 1X6s out of shorts and cat faces?  Oh well, at least he does have some
BIG HEAVY TRAILER DECKING to be cut, also, out of fresh Sweet Gum.

Yes, Lord. I am thankful for work to do. 
Yes, Lord, you surely did say "by the sweat of your brow...!"
But does it have to run all the way down into my socks, AGAIN?  I think I hear Him sayin', 
"Remember, 'And whatever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might!'?"

I'll give it a try, Lord, at least 'til noon.   After that all "my might," might not be too much.

Phil L.

Thank You Sponsors!