iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Furby's ugly log

Started by Jeff, August 16, 2007, 04:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

During the pigroast, that is the 2006 pigroast, the furbster arrived at our place with a nasty old log he said wasn't much good, that we could use it to whack up with the drag saw. As it was, the drag saw wouldn't run right that day so the log survived. Fast forward to this years pig roast. The guys found the old log with the bark now falling off from it. They used it to try out my Log Arch that finally arrived.

I was out in the yard hesterday thinking, I need to get rid of that log in the middle of the yard. I think I'll saw it up to make deer blind material to build a hunt shack on top of the elevated platform I put up last month.  I sent Furby a message what I was going to do.  He says:

Quote from: Furby
Bout the only way it'll ever get cut! :-X'
Won't get much though. :-\

Haven't milled many logs before have ya?
;) :D :D :D

Quote from: Jeff B
more then enough.  :)   Maybe after cutting that one I'll say "too many"  :)
Quote from: Furby
Pics!
Since I really don't know what's inside. :)

Anyhow Furby,  the old pine was completely solid and I ended up with 9 2X4's  and 13 1X8,9, or 10s. Seeing as they are over 12 foot long, I got enough lumber to do almost all the framing and sheeting. smiley_smug01

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dodgy Loner

Not bad, for a newbie ;).
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Part_Timer

That is a nice wack of lumber Jeff, I sure wouldn't have thought you would have gotten that many boards from that log.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Jeff

Ya, a lot of the guys here remember that log cause it really was an ugly one eh? :D

mike_van

It even had an osha anti-roll saftey limb sticking out one side! :D
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

tim1234

Hey JeffB,

Do I see any saftey glasses in that pic with that chain saw ;D

Remember nothing grows back and you don't get second chances.  It's always that time when you say "I'm only going to cut this small limb" :o  I got the missing joint in my thumb to remind me.  (table saw 1995) :-[

Tim
You buy a cheap tool twice...and then you're still stuck with a cheap tool!!
Husky 372XP, 455 Rancher, Echo CS300, Alaskan 30" Chainsaw Mill

getoverit

good job Jeff! I was wondering if you ever actually used that woodmizer you had stuck out back :D  Looks like you got a good whack of lumber from that old log!
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Furby

Tim, Jeff's too OLD to worry about losing something. ;)

Ah mmmm..... bet ya are glad ya been storing that log for the last year eh?  ;D

trapper

Jeff
that saw looks like the saw i just bought. Did you add the sawdust chute?  if so mind describing how?
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Jeff

Nope, It came with it and I am guessing its either factory or a factory add on as it says wood-mizer on it.   If I remember in the morning, I can go take a couple photos of it to show exactly how its on there. Its pretty simple.  Like a black hose and a hinge. If you dont see something from me, remind me when its daylight. :)

WDH

WDH, Chet, and Ron Scott were saying, "Lets get that DanG log untangled from this super-dooper log arch because the Boss might want to saw it up in boards for a project in Yooperland".

BTW, I saw a Dirty Jobs program on Discovery tonight about Mike Rowe painting the Mackinaw Bridge.  I bet that lumber makes a trip across the bridge. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

It will. 8)  My sister recorded that show to bring up to us and watch. Tom and I got to watch it before Tom left for the land of cheese and whine.

Burlkraft

Quote from: Jeff B on August 16, 2007, 11:47:36 PM
Tom left for the land of cheese and whine.

Did Tom go to California..... ??? ??? ??? :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Thank You Sponsors!