iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Disappointing ERC

Started by brdmkr, August 18, 2007, 03:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

Now that the mill is running again, I was able to saw up a couple logs this morning.  One was a southern magnolia.  It was some kind of knotty, but the wood was some of the prettiest I have seen.  I took Tom's advice and flat sawed it at 4/4.  I hope it dries well as it would make some pretty furniture.

Next was a eastern red cedar.  It was a short butt log, only 8+ feet, but it was 20 inches on the small end and had little taper for a cedar.  It was likely the most disappointing log I have sawed :(.  Every single board had at least one bad spot.  Some were REALLY bad.  I know that that is just part of sawing cedar in the deep south, but this one was really bad.  I still kept it all as I will be able to cut out the bad spots. 

Next, I got hot and went home :D :D :D :D :D
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

TexasTimbers

Did you take pictures of the cedar?

20" on the small end of a 8' log with little taper means the big end is not much more than 20" say 24" ???

Many start to rot in that range in most parts of the south. I seem to be in an area where they get bigger before the inner rot starts setting in.

Don't be discouraged by that you will find them in that range still solid if they are like the ones around here.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

brdmkr

No pictures of the cedar.  I do have some of the magnolia that I will try to post later. 
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

SwampDonkey

Unless your using it for some kind of construction, how many shop projects will you make 8 feet tall?  ;D

Just remember 70 % or more of our hardwood volume up here isn't much better than pulp or firewood. Just remember that, and keep smiling and sawing. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

The cedar that grows on my land grows the same way.I have to butt my logs 8' to get into solid wood.Once I get away from the butt I can saw just about any size that the log will let me.My wife wants a fence for the back yard.I'll be able to get a lot of 4' boards for that.Last time I cut some I needed 4X4 for a deck at my other house.I had a guy cut them on his circle mill.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!