iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Interesting way to haul stuff.  (Read 7500 times)

Offline Slabs

• It don't get no better than flyin' sawdust
    • Share Post
Re: Interesting way to haul stuff.
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2007, 09:51:20 PM »
Back in my days as a slaughter house tycoon we used to joke about Mr. Osborne bringing in his mixed dairy breeds while they "looked over the cab" of his pickup.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Offline jrokusek

• Share Post
    • DIY Bandmill
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2007, 09:58:02 AM »
Sounds like Baker could use this for their marketing, "So easy to move you can haul it with your family sedan."   :D

Offline ADAMINMO

• Today is gonna be another one of those days!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2007, 11:14:28 AM »
That may work for the marketing side."As portable as you wanna make em!"

Offline Southside logger

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2019, 09:21:18 PM »
Back in my days as a slaughter house tycoon we used to joke about Mr. Osborne bringing in his mixed dairy breeds while they "looked over the cab" of his pickup.
I realize this is an old thread - but the kid who saw me at a stop light in my old Dodge x cab, about the time this thread was active mind you - is probably still laughing at the heifer calf he spotted in the back seat of the cab, it was winter and I was raising replacements on a contract basis, so she was not the first, nor the last to ride in that truck.  ;D 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2019, 07:40:33 AM »
Michelle's sister and BIL were in Saudi for a number of years, one set of pics she sent back was from the camel market, a camel being slung into the back of a little Toyota truck and then looking over the cab for the ride home.

BTW you can get 13 sheets of 3/4 ply on the roof of a Pinto :D. Working in a canoe rental shop in my teens we had one renter that came in to pick up a full sized boat driving a beetle, they made it about a mile and wondered if I was going to keep the deposit after it hit the road ::).
A laborer works with his hands
A craftsman uses his brain and his hands
An artist uses his brain, his hands, and his heart

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2019, 08:33:42 AM »
This is my helper's bike hauling cans to the scrap yard. He has since wrecked it and the one he replaced it with to.

The First 60 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline TKehl

• Senior Member x2
  • Certified Contrarian
    • Share Post
    • Kehlhof Ranch
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2019, 10:11:26 AM »
Had 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood and a bunch of 2x lumber in a 1986 Subaru station wagon across town in 2004.  Wish I had a picture.  Went well enough other than having to contort my arm to shift.   :D

Also had a lady come out to buy a bred goat in a Yukon and no trailer.  I figured she had a cage inside, but the first words out of her mouth before I even asked confirmed she didn't.  We got her head pointed in on the rear barn doors (Appropriate!!!   ;D) and gave a shove and she jumped right in.  Then she kept jumping!  Into the rear bench, then the front seats!   :D  Once there she turned and rammed the drivers window, then the passengers, then the drivers again!  Frustrated she squatted and urinated on the console!   :D :D :D  She looks at the scene horrified and says, "My husband's going to be p***ed!"  I was like, "YEAH"!!!!  I was checked local news for wrecks along her 40 mile journey home.  Didn't find any so I guess she must have made it home.   :)
Lucas 6-13+slabber, Mr. Sawmill bandmill, orange chainsaws, JD SSL, Case Backhoe, farm tractors, trailers, and 150ish acres of trees.  Fledgling woodshop with CNC router, laser engraver, Woodmaster 712, and a Berlin 108 moulder (project).  Oh, and a lovely (patient) wife and four offbearers.

Offline florida

• Share Post
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2019, 10:36:05 AM »
I wish I had a photo just to remind me how stupid I was when I was young(er).
It was lean times, construction had completely dried up and I was doing anything I could to keep food on the table and a roof over my head. I found work as a subcontractor for Sears installing aluminum awnings. They came in cardboard boxes of many sizes, as small as 3' x 3' and as larger as 6' X 16.' The only vehicle I had was a worn out Dodge Dart Swinger and a light roof rack. Later I added a bolt on bumper hitch and a 4' x 8' trailer with a 4' tailgate I could let down. I pulled out of the Sears warehouse many times with the trailer stacked full of longer awnings  and a half dozen more tied on top. The roof rack held the smaller ones, stacked up 3 or 4' and if I had more I opened my trunk, stuck a rope across, closed the trunk, then stacked another pile on it! That poor little 6 cylinder Dart had to work hard to haul those loads but I always made it. I forgot I always had a 6' stepladder tied on somewhere as well.  

General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2019, 10:53:38 AM »
This is a local contractor

<
br>

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2019, 11:04:36 AM »
I had a little Nissan pickup when we moved to our country property where I was building a big barn (2,200sf).  I was finishing the inside ceiling with pine ship lap siding.  The longer the better :-X, less joints.  I had picked up a load of 20 footers - carried home on my my home-made wooden rack.  Just uprights in the bed, nothing out over the cab.  That worked great as the bundle was stretch wrapped.  As it happens with long lumberyard wood, some of it had some significant movement.  Enough that I couldn't cut short stuff out of it.  So I loaded up about 2 dozen to go back.  I had already traveled about 10 or 12 miles and was within a mile or so of the yard.  I was coming down an over crossing (steep down hill) when the light went red.  I jump on the brakes and half the wood telescoped out in front of me, touching the road probably 20 feet out.  I didn't drop any and just had to push it all back.  Now I check my straps after traveling a few miles for any settling of the load!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline goose63

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2019, 04:36:08 PM »
A few years agao a drunk picked his buddy after some more drinking thy thought it would be a good idea to steal a calf then got picked up for d w i spend the night in jail the ones wife came to pick them up found the calf in the back of her mini van it had left a big mess went in the jail and said shoot both of them two drunks 
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Offline Greyman

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2019, 05:09:23 PM »
When I was in high school my parents bought a house with a lot of extra sidewalks etc. (previous owner worked for a concrete company) and we broke up a lot of it and hauled it to the dump in our Toyota HiLux.  We had to all ride in the cab to go to the dump in order to keep the front wheels on the ground, but they would still bounce up off the road going around corners.  Crazy.

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2019, 08:06:47 PM »
Florida's Dart story brought back a memory of my starting out. The pinto wasn't getting it, and it was Michelle's car, so I bought a very high mileage Duster driven by a little old lady to church on Sunday's, best I could figure church must have been down in Mexico somewhere cause I found stuff from there under the back seat and a bunch of some kind of seeds. I broke out the sawzall and made an El Cadusto out of it. I used it for a few jobs and sure got some looks going down the road until I could buy a little Datsun truck that I mercilessly overloaded. A buddy at work went home one day to find his possessions, and wife, gone. I sold him the ElCadusto for a dollar and he drove it till he got back on his feet, that slant 6 was unstoppable. He came in one day and said he made twenty times what he paid for it :D.
A laborer works with his hands
A craftsman uses his brain and his hands
An artist uses his brain, his hands, and his heart

Offline Southside logger

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2019, 09:47:57 PM »
I learned to drive by bombing around fields in an old yellow Duster with black, vinyl seats - man oh man - there was never a time of year those things were not hot, and yes you are right, those slant 6 engines were simply unbeatable, would run for ever.  
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger

Offline woodmaker

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2019, 02:34:38 AM »
 A few years ago, when diesel fuel was 4+ dollars a gallon ( and everything I owned was diesel), I bought a crown vic  cop car at auction from  a local town.
 I needed a roll of 2 " water pipe to finish a job but the local Webb store didnt have one in stock. There was one ,however , at their branch about 60 miles away.I called that branch, asked someone to measure the diameter of that  roll, then measured the trunk . Assured that it would fit , i went to pick it up.When I got there, I found the guy had measured the wrong roll, and what i wanted was 2' larger than expected. Not willing to drive back,get a truck,and come back again, I stuck as much in the trunk as I could, ratchet strapped it in ( leaving about 4 feet hanging out the back, trunk lid in the air) and came home . 
franklin q80,builtrite 40,husky 372,sachs dolmar 123, dozers,excavators,loaders,tri-axle dump trucks ,autocar tractor with dump,flatbed and detachable trailers, and 8  f350 diesels

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2019, 08:01:49 AM »
The Achilles heal for those slant six cars was the torsion bar pockets rotting out. I had a Valiant and a Duster.

Offline Southside logger

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2019, 08:34:29 AM »
The entire trunk on my Dodge Aspen rotted out so badly you had to drive with the windows down to keep the exhaust out, but the slant 6 kept on running.

Funny, nobody cared about the exhaust and nobody died as a result in that car, imagine what would happen today. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2019, 09:07:02 AM »
   Looking at htis thread makes me homesick for overseas work again. i worked in the mideast and Africa and saw some very interesting luggage come in at the airports and very interesting loads hauled in and on the vehicles over there. I know you can load 2 full sized camels on a small Toyota p/u or 4 full sized camels on a long bed Chevy. We got behind a station wagon in Cameroon one time and saw a full grown steer tied up in there. I've seen taxis pull up and open the trunk and start unloading grown live pigs. The trucks and buses over there had loads stacked on top so high they were top heavy and sometimes turned over on the uneven sandy roads over there. People would be riding on the top of loads and standing on the bumper at the back of the bush taxi - a 15 passenger van. When 2 bush taxis would collide they would sometimes have 75 people killed. Same with TapTaps in Haiti which were the local bus service. When you'd ask how many people could fit in a TapTap or bush taxi the correct answer was always -1 more.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline doc henderson

• Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2019, 10:39:34 AM »
My wife's aunt Judy was reported as a little prankster in her younger years.  She and a friend "kid" napped a local goat and snuck it into a local bar.  The bar called the local sheriff and he was less than amused to find his goat roaming around the bar.  I had a friend whos family raised goats.  We went in Kindergarten to see them and bottle feed them.  In later years there may have been times when a group of guys sat on stumps in a circle and had a few.  There was a wheel barrow in the circle and eventually a goat would jump into the WB and set like part of the group.  The goat never did have a beer with us.

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
  • made 70-11 and still feelin pretty darned good!
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2019, 11:54:48 AM »
Wife's grandfather was a (sort of) cattle dealer.
Took her grandmother's nearly new Pontiac and trucked a calf in the trunk.
No history of how the trunk looked afterward.
He did this fairly often when he only had one calf to pick up, even though he had a truck.
The car was the nicest she ever owned.
LT40SHDD51
Kubota 8540 tractor, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 550 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo
241 acres of woodland

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

question
Do I need a CDL to haul my own stuff?

Started by Greyman on General Board

61 Replies
Last post January 10, 2019, 09:10:47 AM
by gspren
xx
Haul my logs

Started by Mlamountain on Job Opportunities

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2011, 07:51:51 AM
by Mlamountain