iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I couldn't put it off any longer so I bought a sawmill.

Started by crtreedude, September 12, 2007, 08:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crtreedude

Not a problem Adam - I will definitely take a bunch of pictures of the operation and the some of the wood we slice up.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Handy Andy

My name's Jim, I like wood.

ADAMINMO

Have you got that mill up and runnin yet CR or has it even made it there yet.Inquiring minds want to know. ???

crtreedude

Adam, you might be pyschic - it arrives tomorrow! It would have been earlier (about two weeks) but we combined it with other stuff.

I will definitely keep you posted with photos and such.  8)

Jeff

Fred, whose going to be your sawyer? (No, I'm not looking for a sawing job ;) )
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

crtreedude

Jeff knows me so well - he knows it isn't me! (sounds too much like work to me - especially being on the wrong end)

Martin is going to be the facilitator I do believe but the sawyer is going to  be Juan Luis, a person you haven't met. He worked for years in a furniture shop until he developed a problem from breathing dust. He has no problem with wet sawdust, just the dry stuff (even with protection)

The advantage of course is that he knows how the wood is used. Our work shop master (Jose) will give to Juan Luis the exact specifications that Jose needs for the shop. Since we are focusing on doors and cabinets we can use a lot of shorter pieces. Also we have a very nice lathe and other stuff for the craft market.

We figure the woodshop is going to need between 2 to 4 thousand BF a week to keep it fed. That is about what I expect from the saw - depending on the type of wood, etc. etc.

I will definitely be involved in the early weeks - I have a few pounds I need to lose...  ::)

ADAMINMO

Sounded like Jeff was volunteering to me.  :D He was quick to cover his self though!!  8)

Furby

Quote from: Jeff on October 23, 2007, 12:04:18 PM
Fred, whose going to be your sawyer? (No, I'm not looking for a sawing job ;) )
I am! :)
Send the air fare! ;D

crtreedude

ADAMINMO

Well whats the word on the new mill there Tree Dude? How is it workin for ya?Got any good pics yet?Inquiring minds want to know.

crtreedude

Haven't made sawdust yet. All workers are either planting trees or building our house. The schedule is for in about 2 weeks I figure we will cut a few thousand BF. I have been planning on doing something small but with one thing and another, there has been no time.

But, it won't be long now.

Tom

That's what the Monkey said when the train ran over his tail.  ;D :D :D

crtreedude

crtreedude

Just to let all you nags (  ;D ) know who are watching this thread, I did finally make some sawdust and cut a nail to boot!

ADAMINMO

You are not supposed to cut the nails!!! Only the "wood" .You must remove the nail when you take down the "Free Day Old Coffee" sign!! :D Just kiddin.....How is the saw working for you?

crtreedude

The mill is working very well. It cut very nice planks.  What was particularly nice was how fast it was for the guys to learn how to use it. They were pleasantly surprised on how easy it was to use.

It is what I was looking for, a solid mill that does what I need. The quality looks very good and so do the welds and such. (I always look at welds, having done my share in the past. ;) )

There wouldn't be by chance a tips and tricks type of manual for the sawmill, would there?

ADAMINMO

Nope ...... Nothing I would have but I'm sure with all the owners and operators of small band sawmills there will be a multitude of knowledge and answers for any and probably all questions. Got any pics up yet to put on here. A picture is worth a thousand words.

thecfarm

I think my mill is up in the air about a foot.That's just about right for me.I have my wood brough at just about the same height,just a little higher.I put 2 pieces of metal from my brough on the mill and roll the logs on the mill.I put the logs on the brough with my loader.This will be replaced with a trailer in the near future.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ADAMINMO

Hows that mill workin out CR? Guess no news is good news.Did the operator get it all lined out on what and how to cut? I'm sure you guys are doing great with it.

Thank You Sponsors!