iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help with chainsaw chain

Started by DonT, October 20, 2007, 04:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonT

Hi everyone I need some help understanding chain terminology.I have two saws that run,3/8 chain.One is a stihl 034 with an 18 inch bar,the other is a 372xpg(love those heated handles)it also has an 18 inch bar,my question is do these saws run the same chain?The husky chain I have been running is 73LG068,73LP066 on my stihl.Can someone explain the differance in chains betwwen the two saws,The husky chains are longer so I  believe the 68 and 66 represent the number of drive links?Can i buy a role of chain and run it on both saws?What does the 73 stand for?What is the differance betwwen LP and LG chain types?i would really appreciate any help that could be offered? Thanks DonT

Kevin

Quotedo these saws run the same chain

Don;
These are both 3/8"pitch chains but different length.
As you stated
Quotethe 68 and 66 represent the number of drive links
You might be able to change the drive sprocket on one or the other to run the same length chain.
The bar groove should be the same on both but you better check them, the 73 is .058"bar groove.
I prefer the LG to the LP.
The LP has the bumper drive links.
http://www.oregonchain.com/38.htm

oldsaw

What Kevin said... ;D

You could probably use the Husky chain on the Stihl, but wouldn't be able to use the Stihl chain on the Husky because it would be too short.  Your chain adjustment should cover the two link difference, but you will use up a lot of it.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

DonT

Thanks for the help.I had been told at one time that the husky and stihl bars differed in bar groove size,but if they are running the same chain this is obviously not true.I have always just bought loops of chain for each saw but was looking at ways of saving a little money and thought buying a role of chain might be cheaper than purchasing individual loops.   DonT

Kevin

That's true Don, off the shelf Husqvarna and Stihl saws usually have different bar grooves but they can be swapped out that's why I mention to make sure what bar groove you have on both bars, it's possible to be running the wrong chain on a bar that has bar rails that are spread.
QuoteThe bar groove should be the same on both but you better check them,
The numbers are usually stamped on the bar.

DonT

Thanks again kevin,time to put those nasty reading glasses on i guess.   DonT

Thank You Sponsors!