iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

??MY FINAL CHAINSAW??

Started by kototama, October 22, 2007, 12:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kototama

This is may be the last saw for me.  Wife wants me to hang up the "wood getting" and start buying.
Josered 2152 let us down this week and will be looking at getting a new saw -----or not.
Like what has been said about the Husky 350 and 357,but what about the Husky 455 Rancher.
Neighbor has a Sthil 260 pro that he likes.
I do not like the local Sthil dealer but if there is a good enough reason to deal with him I will.
Husky dealer is OK but pricey and has a shop.
I have read a lot of the comments but would appreciate some suggestions from you knowledgeable people
Be well

Furby

Welcome Kototama! 8)
I do belive you are our first posted  (as far as I know) from NM. :)

Jeff

Nope, third to post, but welcome all the same!  There are a LOT of trees in New Mexico. Dont know why we dont have more members from out there. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

solodan

Quote from: kototama on October 22, 2007, 12:44:11 PM

This is may be the last saw for me. 

Not if you stick around here.  ??? We'll tell you all sorts of reasons you need buy more things. ;D   Welcome :) :)

sawguy21

:) Welcome aboard. The 455 is relatively new and has yet to be proven. I am a Husky guy but have to admit the MS260 is a good saw.:-[ Light, reliable and decent power.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Warbird

I'm all about Stihl saws.  But Husky's are okay, too.  ;)

How much wood are you going to be cutting per year?  I have the MS-270C and it is an awesome saw.  I'd recommend it over the 260.  You get a little more power and fuel for the extra 1 pound of weight.

How much wood do you want to cut per year?  I cut 6 - 10 cord of firewood per year and am considering upgrading to the MS-361 next year.  Not sure I'll be able to afford it but it shore would be nice.  :)

thecfarm

It's all about the dealer.I travel out of my way because I did not like the way a problem was dealt with at a Kubota dealer.I myself feel that is real important even if it cost me more time or money.Welcome to the forum.Let us know what you buy.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

kototama

Thanks for the warm welcome and good thoughts.
Sorry I forgot to mention that we cut about 4-5 cords of fire wood.
Small stove means more cuts per cord.
Mostly Pinion, some cedar and some oak
Went out kicking tires at the local saw shops.
Looks like it will be mail order because of price.
Even went to the pawn shops they had some OK?? saws but the pricing is too near new price and they don't want to dicount.
Ebay looks a little tricky. (Mail order bride syndrome)
I too will go out of my way to work with another dealer but in our case that comes to 90 ,110 to 180 miles each way.(Farmington, Albuquerque. Flagstaff,AZ)
As of yesterday it looks like the 350 might be what we need/want. (avoids the Sthil dealer)
Haven't ruled out the Sthil 260or 310.
Be well

Gary_C

Another welcome here. Just remember this good advice cones with a price. We like pictures!!!   8)

I have always heard that NM was very beautiful and would like to see proof, along with your "final chainsaw.'    ;D ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

sawguy21

You want a discount from a pawn shop ??? Good grief. Going mail order over a few bucks may cause problems later when you need parts and service. You need to knock the dust off your wallet if you want a good tool that will get the job done.

submarinesailor

Kototama,

Welcome to the zoo.  Where in New Mexico are you located -Continental Divide?  One of my daughters calls the Taos area home: Questa and Tres Piedras.

Bruce

kototama

Location is 20 miles east of Gallup.
Where your daughter is it is really beautyful.
The wallet issue is not insignificant.
Locally it would cost total over $400 with tax added.
Norwalk will get it here for $313 and includes 2 extra chains a hat and T shirt.
Thats either 25% or 33% diffrence
If any one wants to help support our locall economy they can dust off their wallet and send the diffrence to me.
Pics as soon as I can get to them
Be well

Warbird

Quote from: kototama on October 23, 2007, 09:25:33 AM
Haven't ruled out the Sthil 260or 310.
Be well

If the price is right, I highly recommend the MS-361 over the MS-310.  More power, less weight.  I've researched a lot of Stihl saws (and asked a few questions around here! ;) ) and IMO, that's the best firewood cutting saw Stihl makes.  Best power for the weight you have to lug around and it'll run the 3/8 full skip chain without blinking an eye.

Warbird

I just realized you said only 4 - 5 cord of wood per year.  The MS-361 is a lot of saw for only 5 cord per year.  But you did say you wanted your "final chainsaw".  ;) ;D

solodan

If it's Stihl you want, then I think you need to deal with your local dealer. I don't think Stihl wants their dealers shipping saws mail order. I run Huskys cause I can get parts locally or overnight from Baileys.  :)

kototama

I am leaning toward Husky for the same reason(s)
Thought I may pick up a low-end saw just to get started.
When I started back cutting a couple of years ago (it was 40+years lay off)it was with a Poulan.
Smal Husky/Sthil should be and improvement
Be well

Warbird

Husky's are fine saws and I'm sure will serve you well.  For the record, I believe Baileys sells Stihl parts.

solodan

They do, but you need to go into their store to purchase a Stihl saw. :)

Trax

If I had to choice one medium size saw It would be the Dolmar 5100S hands down. This saw cuts circles around my  MS-260.  I'm thinking of selling my 260,361 and 440 and replacing them with the 7300 Dolmar

little Bark

I was given a 350 Husky as a gift back in the spring of this year. I cut about the same amount of wood maybe a little more.  Not the saw I asked for but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.  To make a story short I now own a second saw.  The 350 is nice for cutting up to 12" dia. dosn't handle the big stuff verywell.   I am looking foward to having a nice small saw for cutting limbs  and bigger saw for the cutting bigger picies.  Good luck.  The ideal saw for my area if I had to have just on saw would be a 362 husky.

Always use the rite tool for the job.

Warbird

Quote from: Trax on October 30, 2007, 02:41:42 PM
I'm thinking of selling my 260,361 and 440 and replacing them with the 7300 Dolmar

Send me a PM when/if you get serious about selling that Stihl 361?  Depending on the price (and if I can sweet talk the Mrs), I might be real interested.  ;D

logwalker

I am using the 350 Husky as my knock-around saw and have been pretty happy with it. I wouldn't have any problem cutting 5 to 10 cords a year with it. It is light and well balanced with enough power if you keep it sharp. Baily's sell clearance loops with 18" bars foe $20. Hardly pays to dress the bar. For reference I probably cut 25 or more cords a year. Mostly with an older L-65 or a 15 years old 268 Husky. The only saw that ever failed me was an 011 Stihl. But I had let it load the cooling fins with chips and it overheated. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

SawTroll

Quote from: little Bark on October 30, 2007, 04:10:24 PM....  The ideal saw for my area if I had to have just on saw would be a 362 husky.

The MS361 performs about the same, and is over a pound lighter, and less bulky...... :)
Information collector.

sawguy21

The 362 has yet to make an appearance here.

SawTroll

Quote from: sawguy21 on November 01, 2007, 10:28:17 AM
The 362 has yet to make an appearance here.

I think the recent appearance was just a limited re-introduction. The original version was discontinued some years ago.
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!