iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forestry trailers

Started by RSteiner, October 28, 2007, 08:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RSteiner

Lately I have been looking at the forestry trailers with hydraulic loaders that can be towed by a compact tractor.  I'm thinking that one of this units would allow me to move more material a little easier and quicker. 

I don't know anyone who has owned or used one of these and I am wondering just how useful the smaller trailers are.  It is either invest in a used 1 ton truck or a small self loading trailer.  There seem to be several trailers on the market these days.

Any advice, opinnions, or thoughts?

Thanks
Randy
Randy

thecfarm

I looked a few times myself.Was one down the road from me on a job.Was behind a 35 hp tractor.Does good for small,short wood. I want to grab onto a 2 foot hemlock,16 foot long and really move it.Won't happen with one that you can haul behind a 40hp tractor from what I've seen.Maybe up close to the trailer,but if you start to reach out with it,it just won't do it without spending more than $10,000 or even more.The pictures and videos I've seen always show them moving plantation wood.Small wood,like a foot through.I would like one for my sawmill and to haul rocks with.I think it would do a great job with the rocks.They don't stick out 8 feet in 2 differant directions.Maybe one for a 60hp tractor would be better,but that's not  a compact tractor.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

I have used one behind my Kubota L48 (48HP). I believe it is made by Metavic. It was setup for horses, so it had another steering axle in the front and a long tongue with no weight, not an ideal setup for a tractor. This unit had a 9HP Honda which was more than adequate, and a hydraulic winch as well. It would load some fairly large sawlogs, but obviously had its limits. If you were going to load large hardwood logs you would probably have to make them fairly short, no 16'x30" oaks. :D I see them advertised in the Sawmill and Woodlot magazine. I think they may have originally been intended for the pulpwood market, but may be wrong. I certainly would like to have access to one again, very handy for getting the logs out of the woods without getting them packed full of mud. I could load the trailer up with way more than I could skid as well.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

deadeye

i have a majaco m140.  it has a 14 foot boom on it and have a 11 tonne trailer underneath.  when i bought it i had the feet change from ordinary to telescopic. it will lift 16 x 30 pine but when you come to hemlock it's a different story.  the closer you pull the log the more you can lift.  i have a 65 hp tractor and on a average load get about 1000 ft of log on, when i haul on good road i have extentions that let me put on 1500 ft per load. i wouldn't log without it, weather for sawlogs or cord wood it is worth every penny. 

semologger

i made a small trailer last year had the stuff so why not ya know. i used it a little picking up old tops from my place i just bought last year. i have got a lot of work yest to do to it. its going to be one of those winter jobs in the shop. this is what i got so far

it has a winch off my old fourwheeler. and the mast is an old satalite dish i had in the yard..
i am going to change alot. just got to have the time. i have moved some pretty good size wood with it. i pull it with an 2wd honda rancher 350

beenthere

semologger
Are you unloading the log cart and stacking on the pile in this photo??

If 'tother way around, how do you unload the cart?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

semologger

i just thru some on so i could take some pitchures for you guys. i had the wood there for a while it was dried out loaded most by hand.

thecfarm

That's quite the loader you have there.Probaly can hardly tell you go through the woods with that set up.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

RSteiner

Thanks for the feed back.  My use right now would be 90% fuel wood.  I have access to a good deal of smaller diameter hardwood, stuff around 12" DBH that will not make a saw log.  Currently the trailer I have can hold about 1/2 of a full cord.  Loading and unloading is done by hand.

For larger saw logs I do have a logging arch I built that will handle a 24" dia. X 16' piece of hardwood.  My thoughts were the forestry trailer would allow me to transport a little more material per load and make loading and unloading easier on me.  I have seen ads for some of the smaller loaders which have backhoe type buckets as an accessory for what I would guess be light digging applications which would be a plus.

Randy
Randy

Ed_K

Heres what I'm using. I also have a grapple mounted on the frontend loader to stack the logs and load 12'-16' logs onto a modified hay wagon.

The forestry trailer is nice for 8' and 10' logs 12' if you put them in the middle of the load. The loader is rated for 900# at trailer side but I have no problems loading 1500# logs by picking up one end and putting it on the back end then pick up the front and sliding it on.
Ed K

semologger

ed k do you have a larger pitchure? i can barely see what you got.  ;D

Mike_M

I have been looking at one of the road versions sold by Bailey's. It's main use would be to haul alder, maple and doug-fir for milling and as fire wood for the Taylor stove. Check out Bailey's web-site for more information.

Ed_K

Semologger, I had to shrink it to get into my photo gallery.I can try to email it to you?
Ed K

Woodhog

http://www.gohardy.com/english/bois.html#remorque

I see a few of these little Hardy loaders around here, the site above has a video of one being used with a 4 wheeler...

If you are going to use a forestry trailer around the woods your tractor should be 4 wheel drive.

I see on the picture with the four wheeler (atv) they have quite a load on it, must be good bottom where they are hauling, also on my ATV the specs for the hitch say tongue weight max 35 pounds.

semologger

how much do those big trailers cost? thats why i made mine the way i did simple.

Ron Wenrich

I think woodsmill is running one of those trailers.  I'm not sure if he uses it in the woods or just on the road.  I'm thinking a set of outriggers would help in pulling in those bigger logs, as long as the boom can handle it.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

RSteiner

Quote from: Ed_K on October 29, 2007, 09:35:00 PM
Heres what I'm using. I also have a grapple mounted on the frontend loader to stack the logs and load 12'-16' logs onto a modified hay wagon.

The forestry trailer is nice for 8' and 10' logs 12' if you put them in the middle of the load. The loader is rated for 900# at trailer side but I have no problems loading 1500# logs by picking up one end and putting it on the back end then pick up the front and sliding it on.

That is a nice looking set up. 

Some trailer packages I have seen the trailer wheel position can be adjusted to accomadate the load lenght for the best tongue weight.  That adjustablity looks like it would be a nice feature. 

I have seen the video of the Hardy trailers and loaders, it is better sometimes not to see how easy they make it look.  I have a 30 hp. 4WD Kubota that I think would pull one of the smaller trailers in the woods and would hope to be able to pull the trailer on the road with my pick up for areas that can be driven to.

I have also thought of trying to build one.  I know how to make the trailer it is the loader part that I need to do a little more thinking about.  And, how do I convince the wife that my project is more important than the things she would like me to build/finish.

Randy
Randy

submarinesailor

I was wondering if any of these trailers have hydraulic brakes built into them.  I have a several steep slopes to get down on my mountain road and I don't want to be pushed down the slope by a trailer load of logs – that would be a bad thing, a very bad thing.

Bruce

sprucebunny

I recently looked hard at trailers like these.

The ATV type loaders that generally, have 9foot6 of reach would carry about the equivilant of 3 thirty foot 12" trees like I can drag out with my Fetching arch but it would be easier and the logs cleaner.
Since I now have the J5 with 100 horsepower to drag stuff, I looked at the trailers that have about 11foot6 inch reach but none of the used ones available had brakes which I wanted.

I ended up buying a used 14 foot reach Majaco trailer with brakes from a member here.
It's great for managing logs around my yard and loading the sawmill but I haven't had it out in the woods yet.

The Anderson 11foot6 comes ready for a dirt bucket. The Metavic ones, you have to buy a different outer arm to use the bucket. Metavics also only rotate 270 degrees while most of the others rotate 360. The Metavic may have more power in that rotation, however.

Remember that these trailers have about 800 pounds of tongue weight. It's less of a problem with a tractor where the hitch is really close to the rear axle.

I think it's like sawmills ... buy the biggest you can tow and afford !  ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Ed_K

My loader has a 9' reach,when I break it I'll rebuild to at least 15'. This contraption was my first try at low impact logging. I found out real quick the 4wheeler was WAY to small.

Then I bought a Massy 1433 4x4 33hp it worked good on a couple of jobs then I went for a ride down a hill with a load of 10'6" red oak.
That was the begining,I then traded the massy for the Landini. If you decide on a 4x4 tractor also buy a set of ice chains too. They'll save you a scare when ground freezes up.
Oh, the flex 380 trailer has the hydraulic axle positioning,but I leave it all the way back to gain more weight on the hitch. With a rebuild it'll get hydraulic brakes installed.
Ed K

TeaW

Have a 1700 Hardy forestry trailer that I have used for hardwood thinning for 6 years ,could not get along without it now.I was looking for a smaller trailer and found this one used ,but i am happy with the reach (17 ft)  and the size .It does not replace a skidder you have to stay on the main trails and skid to it. Even a samller unit with a compact tractor on it makes a long outfit in the woods.Brakes are important if you have any hills at all
TeaW

woodmills1

sorry, I haven't been on much in october, but yes....................... 8)

I have a blue ox over the road little ox trailer I tow behind my one ton.

I also have a metavic/payeur forster package for the woods.  It is a metavic 1050A trailer and a 30.5 HP Kioti tractor with upgrade/mods from payeur in canada.

Once you have a grapple you won't look back

both of these have been great to me, expanding my business and supporting my woodmizer.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

thecfarm

TeaW,how many hp you got there.Looks like a good size tractor from the picture.That glass wouldn't last long with me.I'm careful,but always seems like something happens.Seems like I get in more of a mess with the 6 inch stuff than the big stuff.I suppose you have heat in there too.That looks like a good setup.The one piece of land I cut on most of the time has quite a hill to get to it.Once I'm up there it's just about level.I would need some brakes on that trailer with that much of a load.I have come out of the woods with almost a cord of limb wood behind,that feels fine.Looks like almost couple cords you have on?

TeaW

cfarm, tractor is 8200 Kubota about 73 hp. Your right about the glass you have to be careful !The tractor I had on this trailer before didn't have a cab and runnin this thing was the coldest job I had.Its a treat now.There is no trouble putting two cord on it, if your on good footing with no big hills.  I don't have brakes so all you can do is load acordingly
TeaW

Thank You Sponsors!