iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 385 won't stay running.

Started by DR Buck, November 03, 2007, 03:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

My Husky 385 sat unused for about 3 weeks until I got around ordering a few new chains.   Today I put on a new chain and filled the fuel and oil tanks.  The fuel tank was empty.   Hit the low compression start button, pulled out the choke and yanked on the starter rope.   It sputtered on the 2nd pull.   I pushed the choke in and pull the start rope and it fired right off.  Then promptly quit.  :(     I repeated the process a number of time with the same result.   I then dumped out all the fuel, mixed a new batch and refilled it.   Same thing....start.....run a short time.......quit.     

If I let it idle after pushing in the choke the RPMs go way up then it quits.   If I give it fuel, it revs up OK, then quits.   It never runs more than 4 or 5 seconds.   

I can't find any pinched fuel lines, the filter is clean and nothing appears to be loose in or around the carburetor.

It worked fine when I used it last.    This is a very low hour saw.     Any ideas?
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

cantcutter

I had my 455 act like this just a year after I bought it. It would start and then quit. I took it to the shop and they dipped the carb and it was fine after that.

Kevin

The symptoms would indicate a fuel restriction, leaky crankcase seal or air leak at the carb intake.

arojay

Check your throttle stop screw.  My 385 has got a crappy screw and it won't hold the setting.  A friend has the same trouble with his 385.  I used some loctite on mine and he just gored the threads on the screw.  If you have the same problem the screw will back right out in a second or two after setting and starting. 
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

Dan_Shade

hey, Dave, paint the handle white, and it might start  ;D
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

ehp

It shouldnot happen this way but it sounds like your needle and seat in the carb is stuck  now whats weird is the saw should not start . Maybe its partly stuck and letting a bit of fuel threw but not enough to run the saw , I have seen lots of saws that were left sitting and the oil out of your gas gets on the needle and sticks to the seat , pull the carb off and check it

joe_indi

If you have already checked everything else such as fuel line, pickup body, impulse line, loose ignition module etc, the cause will be the valve jet in the carb.
This jet has a small diaphragm which opens and closes according to the pulses generated by the piston.
If this valve is stuck, air flows back into the metering chamber and does not allow fuel to enter the metering chamber.
Since this is a fairly new saw you could most probably  get the valve working again.
To do this mix up equal quantities of gas and 2 stroke oil and have it ready in a squirt bottle.The type used for eye drops.
Also have a can of cleaning spray such as WD40 or similar stuff ready.
You will need to start the saw without the air filter.
You got to be real handy with both hands or have somebody to assist you with this.
Once the saw is running squirt a few drops of the Oil/gas mixture into the intake.
Blip the throttle a couple of times and repeat the squirting, blip the throttle enough to prevent the engine from dying out.
Try revving it now.If it revs, use the cleaner spray, the engine might sound like it is going to die out , just blip and try to rev it up again.
Use the oil/gas mixture once more , and then the spray.
If all goes well, your saw should be fine now.
Joe

barbender

I've had saws do that, the problem was the tank vent got loaded up with sawdust/bar oil. If your saw is oiling too much, they tend to load up like that. The gas tank vent is usually on the back side, I think I had to pull the saw apart to get at it. To see if that's the problem, crack your gas cap open a little to let some air through and fire up your saw, if it runs ok then your vent is plugged.
Too many irons in the fire

DR Buck

It's Fixed !    8)  8)  8)  8)

I had a fellow over today picking up a load of fire wood and I mentioned I was going to work on my chain saw and told him the problem I was having.   he said he had the same symptoms with his last year and that the gas line Had gone bad.   He said it was caused by the ethanol in the gas.  (I don't know about this.  First I heard of it  ??? )   Anyway, I decided to  take a close look at things.  What do you know, a hole and lots of deterioration where the gas line come through the case from the fuel tank.   I pulled out some slack and cut off the bad section and reattached it to the carb, pulled the starter rope and it fired right up and runs like a champ HUSKY.   8)

Now all I need to do is get a new gas line so it will reach the bottom of the tank again.  :D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Thank You Sponsors!