The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Tally-I/O

Author Topic: Getting closer to buying a real planer  (Read 49 times)

Brad_bb, A-z farmer and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Brad_bb

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Getting closer to buying a real planer
« on: Today at 07:32:06 PM »
I'm looking at this one:
209HH 20" 230V 1 PH 5HP.  Byrd Shelix head

I'd like to keep all the same cutters if I can for convenience, Hence the Byrd Shelix head.  I only have single phase in my new shop so I figured I'd stick with that.  

Anyone have any opinions or experience with this one?  Will it run continuous and have enough power?  We'd always like more,  but...  is 5 enough?  If I'm making some flooring stock, I want it to keep up.  
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Online btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
Re: Getting closer to buying a real planer
« Reply #1 on: Today at 07:46:22 PM »
Thats the 24, right?

5 hp will be ok, just cant take a big bite. 

Ive got that same planer only 15 with 3hp. It does ok, but if I was doing production work Id need more hp. Those byrd heads eat up some power.  

Its been a great planer all in all. 
HM126

Offline Tin Horse

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: Today at 08:07:33 PM »
Just bought that same planer a few months ago. I had sold a 3hp General International 15" carbide. It produced a great finish but couldn't sustain long periods of work. Also found out they are out of business.
I spent a long time researching and pricing. There are other 20" units out there cheaper with little or no dealer support.
The Powermatic has support and warranty. I even was able to speak with tech support in the US. with questions. Since getting it I've done only 12" white pine and some red oak. It has run up to 4 hours steady. Night and day difference between the General. Great finish on knotty pine and no belt or motor heating. The quality is better than the few other options available in my area.
Like everything else these days they are built off shore but the US quality and support is still there. 
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:11:59 PM »
that looks almost identical to a grizzly;  I have a 5hp 20 inch, straight knives.  works well;  I think straight knives are better at taking bigger bites and the spiral cutter heads are better for shallow cuts, but a great finish.  some planers have an easy adjustment for the lower table roller.  for thick irregular wood you need the rollers set higher than for a final planning,  idealy a knifed planer with the rollers set high for stuff off the mill, and a spiral cutter for the thin final cuts.  mine is hard to set, so set low, but with wavy boards sometimes the wave hits on the table.  new the planer at grizzly is about 1600 buck last I checked, but some stuff when up after the tariffs.  mine runs at 16 or 20 feet per minute.  I have had it for 25 years.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Online busenitzcww

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: Today at 08:15:02 PM »
I had the G1033X planer which is basically the same planer I abelieve just a different color. Was a great planer for figured/burly grain. I kept on overheating and tripping it. If it was 5hp just for the head it might work better but it runs the feed too. I got fed up with it as I was just running too much lumber through it and ended up going with an Oliver 299. 
Good planer but I wouldnt consider it a heavy duty workhorse.

Online btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:23:53 PM »
Right, 20 not 24.

Sometimes I think Im losing it. Other times, Im sure of it. :)
HM126

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: Today at 08:25:08 PM »
the spiral head version is $2,750.  my old planer I paid 1600 years ago, and it remained the same until the tariffs.  now $1,900.  tried to post a pic but copy and paste did not work, so go to grizzly and see it for yourself.  I have had good support from Grizzly.  poss. all made in the same factory, or at least same design.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: Today at 08:30:22 PM »
a more expensive version has a lever that allows adjustment of the table rollers for different uses.  i.e. right off the mill vs fine finish planning. the older version requires a dial indicator, and allen wrench for the set screw and a cam that raises and lowers the roller x 4.  a 20 minute procedure.  I have heard good things about Powermatic, but look for yourself to see if it is better than the grizzly version, or just a different color.  good luck.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Time to get a real planer??

Started by Brad_bb on Sawmills and Milling

16 Replies
Last post May 09, 2016, 09:11:08 PM
by woodmills1
xx
Recommendations 4 buying new planer

Started by Brad_bb on General Woodworking

19 Replies
Last post July 15, 2008, 09:50:57 PM
by Kevin_H.
xx
Looking at a Husky 365 Spc, was thinking of buying it, but not sure its "real" ?

Started by Windy_Acres on Chainsaws

8 Replies
Last post July 04, 2014, 03:43:58 AM
by SawTroll
xx
getting closer

Started by lirachamo51 on Sawmills and Milling

38 Replies
Last post September 17, 2015, 07:51:23 AM
by Kbeitz