iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mulberry Tree Fell Down

Started by johnjbc, April 20, 2003, 07:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnjbc

Ground Hogs kept digging under the roots  >:( :( of this mulberry and in spite of my efforts to keep it it fell down. Hopefully I will make some pretty lumber.  8) 8)

The root ball

Did a job on 2 saw chains

LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Tom

That's a lot darker than our Mulberry in Florida.  Ours is very light wood, almost cream colored and the bark is not nearly as furrowed as that.  What we have is Red Mulberry.I'm told.

Here is a fun article. click.

CHARLIE

Wish I had some of that for woodturning.  Mulberry wood makes beautiful wooden bowls and such. You might offer the crotch wood or limbs too small for boards to a woodturning club or a local woodturner.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

ohsoloco

I have a couple of mulberry trees in the backyard...at least you don't have to contend with the purple bird droppings anymore  ::) :D

Ron Wenrich

Depends if its male or female.  I have a male and get no bird droppings at all.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

ohsoloco

These must be females...at the house I can always tell when the mulberries are getting ripe  :D

johnjbc

This tree didn't get any berries on it. Must have been male. There are quite a few of them along my fence row and about 1/2 get loaded with berries. There seem to be 2 crops a year. This tree was different in that IT had 1 fairly straight trunk, most have multiple trunks and don't get very big. From Tom's link I may have both red and black.
Charlie I gave a bowel blank to someone that rides home from work on the same bus. He said he was going to put it into a plastic bag to dry. There are several more on the slab pile
Here is a picture of a nicely figured board from it

About 300 bd. Ft.

The slabs

Frank_Pender

That is some nice spalting! 8)
Frank Pender

J Beyer

Beautiful spalting and patterns.  Would make for some very nice bowls or cool picture frames.
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

woodbeard

Here is a piece of red mulberry I had sawn some time back.
Just planed it today and made a threshhold for the door of our new bathroom

Norm

I never considered mulberry as anything but a nuisance tree but after seeing johnbc and woodbeard's pictures I will definately saw up the next one of any size. Thanks for the pics guys.

ohsoloco

Most of the mulberry trees that I've seen also grow in clusters of little "trunks."  Last year the tree service I get my logs from took down a nice, big mulberry tree....but the only way into the yard was through a small gate in the brick wall  :(  I sure would've liked to open that thing up.

johnjbc

Finally got time to post a picture of Mulberry Trees growing in clumps.
There is about 2000 feet of fence line like this in my back yard. Too bad I didn't do some trimming when I moved here.
 ::) ::)

Thank You Sponsors!