The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Tally-I/O

Author Topic: First deer gun for a teenager  (Read 7824 times)

Offline LeeB

• Senior Member x2
  • proud to be a TEXAN in Arkansas
    • Share Post
Re: First deer gun for a teenager
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2007, 03:06:03 PM »
OooK, I guess I asked for it. Iwent from not aclue to now having moer choices than I know what to do with. :D. I'll have to mull all this over and try to figure it out some how. Paul isn't a real big boy but he's stronger than he wants to believe. The weight issue is a good point Bro.N. I get tired carrying the 30-06 and I'm a great big feller. Many good points and suggestions guys, thanks.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Offline Faron

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2007, 08:24:02 PM »
LeeB, I don't know a lot about various calibers, but I recently bought a gun I really like. It is a  H&R Handi rifle, in 500 S&W.  H&R, and New England Firearms is owned by Marlin.  The gun is a single shot, with a wood stock.  This isn't an expensive rifle, a little over $200, but has pretty good reputation, far as I can tell.  You wouldn't want the 500 S&W for a youngster, but it is available in a wide range of barrels.  One thing I like, you can send in your gun for refitting and get another rifle caliber for $87 or so, or a shotgun barrel for $41.  I have hunted with a muzzle loader for years, so the single shot aspect doesn't bother me at all.  I really think for a youngster that is a good thing, as it helps remind him of the importance of taking a good shot and making it count.  I like the fact that it is light and easy to carry, and I don't have a fortune wrapped up in it.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Offline LeeB

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2007, 08:53:39 PM »
Faron, the single shot aspect does'nt bother me either. I've tried to teach him 'one shot, one kill' when hunting. My opinion is if you can't get off a clean shot, don't sqeeze the trigger.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Offline ADAMINMO

• Today is gonna be another one of those days!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2007, 05:25:38 PM »
Bolt action 270 is my choice.Mine has worked excellent all around.Sweet for thise long distance shots and still shoots sweet for those close up woods shots.I have the model 710 with syn stock.

Offline DWM II

• Share Post
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2007, 09:13:42 PM »
Lee, my daughter killed her first with my .270. After her proving to me she can handle recoil I purchased the H&R handirifle in 7mm-08. I could not have gotten a better caliber imo. The recoil matches the .243 model and the ballistics on paper match my .270 in 140 gr. core locks. I also like the single shot for shot placement training.
Good luck with what you choose.
Stewardship Counts!

Offline rbhunter

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2007, 02:41:30 AM »
I brought a 7mm-08 for my daughter to shoot her first deer with. I loved the gun so much I sold my 270 and now I shoot the 7mm-08. She was twelve at the time and the gun does a good number on the deer. For her first deer I used 120 grain hollow points. Since she has not hunted anymore this is now my gun and if she ever starts again I will have to get her another one.

A man I work with also shoots one and loves it.
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

Offline limbrat

• step back and look again
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2007, 08:56:49 AM »
CZ  I have a cz 527 carbine that is just a wonderful gun. Its short and lite with a great trigger has beautiful wood and is very very well made. Bolt action with a 5 round detachable magazine they come in 223 and 7.62x39 so its cheap to shoot. I have the 7.62x39 figure it is a 30 cal. a little liter than a 308 but very fast and able for white tail.

Are they building a elk herd in the ozarks?
ben

Offline rbhunter

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2007, 11:30:12 AM »
I could not remember who produced the carbine in a 7.62X39. I had a SKS at one time but traded it. I would like to get something like that for my wife to shoot. She has had several back surgeries so I need something without much recoil. She is using my son's 30-30 for now and he is using my 7mm-08 and I am using my muzzle loader.
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."

Offline DWM II

• Share Post
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2007, 07:12:36 PM »

Are they building a elk herd in the ozarks?

They are re-introducing elk through-out the middle and eastern mountain ranges. I was in the Kiamchi mountains in south eastern Oklahoma and they have a reproducing herd there with a very limited draw hunting season.
Stewardship Counts!

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2007, 09:33:39 PM »
1st deer I shot was with a .22 Hornet.  I took a lung shot and it piled up 50 yards away  8) 8)  One shot one kill  ;)  Second deer that season I killed with Dad's 30-30.  I took two shots to be sure.  The second was when the buck stopped and was going to fall over anyway ;) ;D  The shots were 2 inches apart behind the shoulder and the deer went just as far as the one I killed with the Hornet.  I've used a .270 Win in a Mod 70 Winchester ever since.  It kills deer dead for sure but sometimes they sprint off a few yards before completely expiring.  I've haven't been able to hunt for a few years due to employment obligations but that is fixing to change ;) ;D  I mentioned the .260 Rem earlier as that's what I've got in mind for new deer rifle in an AR platform  8) 8)  Figure I'd better get one while we still can get them  :( >:( >:(
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline limbrat

• Share Post
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2007, 11:30:18 PM »
Oh well it will me a while before they walk down here. I sure am ready to shoot something thats to big to drag back to the truck.
ben

Offline ely

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2007, 12:47:44 PM »
been there, the story about the 243 going straight thru and leaving no damage made me think back. i think it was last year but there was a brand of factory ammo that had problems with their bullets not expanding and caused hunters all over problems with wounded deer. i do not know the name of the ammo but i even seen an article make mention of the problem in the nra magazine. i personally know several people that this affected and it was in 243 cal. each time. my boss just shot some different ammo the next day and he killed his deer with that shot.
the bad deal was they lost two deer the same day with those shells, they later found both deer ruined, after they had ran away like they had never been hit. one guy found a little hair but neither found any blood at all. i also know a couple more friends that has the same story.

Offline Haytrader

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2007, 07:11:56 AM »
It is hard to beat a 6mm or 243 for the first gun.
Don't worry about out growing a small calibur, just get a bigger one. That is how you get a gun collection.
 ;)
I have "out growed" a lot of them.
 :D
I have 3 SKS. One I brought back fromCambodia.
Haytrader

Offline Part_Timer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2007, 07:34:11 AM »
All this first rifle talk has me wanting to add to the collection.  But where to start. ??? ??? ??? I've had an itch for a M1A.  Like Corley said "while you can get one."
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Offline LeeB

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2007, 06:38:49 PM »
Well I finally settled on a Savage 30-06. Not the best brand on the shelves, but it will get him started and it was reasonably priced. Package deal with a scope was $365. The boy was proud as punch. Almost broke my ribs. ;D ;D

Offline Reddog

• Senior Member x2
  • Forest & Urban woody plant management
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2007, 07:11:33 PM »
Good choice.
My 30/06 Savage has taken lots of abuse, and never let me down.
Nosler 180gr partions make a great all around large game round.

Offline limbrat

• Share Post
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2007, 01:04:07 AM »
Savage model 10 or 110 are find guns and dang fine shooters.
ben

Offline LeeB

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2007, 05:39:44 AM »
Model 110

Offline rbhunter

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2007, 01:00:39 PM »
The 7-08 I have is a 110. I love that Gun.

The one question I never asked was if you all hunt more open areas or timber? When in timber I will often grab my sons 30-30 or my black powder depending on how thick it is.

Offline DWM II

• Share Post
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2007, 06:52:38 PM »
Savage model 110 30.06 was the first rifle I bought myself when I was 16, I have always regreted selling that gun. :( Good choice and good hunting for the young fella.
Stewardship Counts!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Not a teenager anymore!!

Started by Woodhauler on General Board

19 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 11:18:48 PM
by JohnW
xx
Got the teenager sawing tonight...

Started by zopi on Sawmills and Milling

9 Replies
Last post April 03, 2008, 05:47:15 AM
by Woodchuck53