iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer LT10

Started by inspectorwoody, December 02, 2007, 06:39:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inspectorwoody

Is anyone running one of these?

Bibbyman

I've cut a board or two with one at a show one time.  Works great.  Just a little slower than our LT40 Super.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

inspectorwoody

SwampDonkey

If I wanted a small WM brand mill I'd go for an LT15. For the majority of wood around here a LT10 would be fine, but I'd like to be able to cut a big 24" spruce or yellow birch on occasion. I wouldn't do custom sawing, but my own lumber to build and maintain buildings. Often wondered why a lot more farmers around here didn't own a mill. Seems the fathers and grandfathers built these grand barns and the next generation let them fall down.  ::) I guess those days of cut and mill your own are gone by. I know father was always figuring in his head over this stuff and it always seemed cheaper to just go buy the lumber. We've cut our own timber a few times to get milled and dad always said we never saved any money. Yes it's your own timber, but it doesn't get into lumber stacked next to your job site by standing back looking at it.  :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Furby

Same here! ;)
LT15 over the LT10. :)

MartyParsons

Yes the LT15 is a better machine because larger engine options ( 13,15 25, Diesel, Electric) easier blade height settings, Manual feed, larger log size 28", moveable blade guide arm, just to name a few. Like the .045 blade 9 degree or 10 degree hook angle
The LT10 has worked well for many owners. 24 " log size, bed sections available to cut longer lengths. 7 hp Briggs engine. Cable assist for track helps the mill run smothe through the cut. Would be great for a small farm, or a homeowner. .042 thick blade with 10 degree hook.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

inspectorwoody

Thanks for the replies.  :)

sport500ho

Hi I had a woodmizer LT10 for a short time. I  bought it used for $2000 the guy wanted to unload it fast. I used it on the weekends to cut some locust fence posts and oak and popular boards. I sold it 6 months later for $2600 so I can't complain about that but it was underpowered. You had to push REAL SLOW when you were cutting anything over 12" thick and the head rocked back and forth. To be honest if you want something to keep for a long time I do NOT suggest getting it. The frame and rails twist and rock. I am looking for a used LT15 now. Hope this helps !

beenthere

Prolly the LT10 you had just needed some tune-up and maintenance...used a lot, they will wear out some parts...maybe wasn't so loose like that when it was new.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Haytrader

Both of those small mills are flimsy IMO.
Especially for the money.
Get one of thier monorail mills or get another color.
Haytrader

davemartin88

I looked at both an LT10 and an LT15, decided to go with the LT15 because of the larger engine and just seemed more solid overall. Cut a few test boards with the LT10 and it worked, just had to go slow, noticeable difference cutting with the LT15. Neither would probably be considered production type units but the LT15 certainly isn't flimsy. You can get a good workout with a manual mill!

thecfarm

At the time I  was looking I don't think WM had a small one like the LT10.I myself would not even consider it for what sawing I do and I only saw for myself.Just depends what you plan on doing with it and how you use you equipment.I have seen tractors that are being used and they look in great shape.Give it to me a year and it will look alot differant.I don't abuse what I have,but things happens to my equipment.Now if someone was using it to cut out wood for furnature and not have to saw out good size logs it would work out well for them.I am trying to buy whatever I want bigger than what I need at the present time.Your ideas will change in 5-10 years on what you want to do with a certain piece of equipment.This way I don't have to try to sell something and buy bigger later.I may not have the money 10 years from now,but do have it now.I saw both the 10 and 15 at the 25th Ann show.The 15 is the one that will take a little abuse.That saw is built to last
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Don K

I have a LT 15 and there is nothing flimsy about it. I have cut some logs that I had to trim with a saw to clear. It is built solid and for the money it is a heck of a saw. I cut over 4000 bd ft of SYP and spruce pine for interior T&G for a friends house. Said it was some of the best looking wood he has ever had cut.  I've cut over 15,000 bdft over the two years I've had it and no problems yet. Ain't nothing flimsy about that.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Haytrader

DonK,

Didn't mean to ruffle yer feathers (or anyone elses).
I saw one (lt15) being demonstrated by a WM rep at a WM feild day.
He had a small osage orange log on it and maybe fed it a little to fast and the blade bound up, the frame jumped off the ground and it killed the motor. A bigger motor might solve two out of three of those situations but an angle iron frame is certainly not as rigid as a tubular frame. Now, if the angle iron is bolted down to somthing, maybe it wouldn't twist like I witnessed.
I still think there are better small mills out there for the same money, or less.
Again, the monorail mills are a different story.
Haytrader

WDH

I don't consider my LT15 to be flimsy at all.  The product it produces is as fine as from any mill on the market.  It is just slower than the big honkin' mills.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don K

Haytrader, That must have been a LT 10 if it had a angle frame. The 15 uses a square tube frame that is app. 3"X6". Didn't ruffle my feathers, I just figured you were just misinformed on the workmanship and quality of the LT 15. :)

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Haytrader

Don,

When did they start making the 10?
This was about six years ago. Could the early(er) 15s have had the lighter frame and since have been changed? As I remember, it was a 15, but sure could be wrong.
Haytrader

Don K

I bought my 15 in 2005 but had been looking for a few yrs before that. Don't ever remember a angle frame. I could be wrong. I think the 10 came out in 05 or 06. First one I saw was at Moultrie.

Don

WDH

Bought my LT15 in 2001, and it has the same frame DonK described.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dave Shepard

I believe Wood Mizer considers the LT15 to be a mono rail frame, with a little support out on the end. Don K or WDH, you want to check into this for us? I have seen the LT15 run, and it produced some great lumber. Even sawed out some frozen,knotty hemlock up in thecfarm territory without a hitch. ;)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

sport500ho

My LT10 was in like new condition. They started making them in 2005. When you put a 20" log on it and take a wide cut to make locust posts the head rocks back and forth and the frame is angle and they slide together with a bolt to hold it together so it moves around alot. The engine is underpowered and bogs even with a good sharp blade. The LT15 is a lot stronger and with twice the power. I know one guy that was happy with his LT10 but he was using it for crafts and stuff

Don K

Dave you are right. The other post does not ride directly on the rail. It has a clip that bolts on under a lip and two felt wipers but there is about a 1/4"gap btween the rail and the post. They basically needed something to bolt the blade tension domahickey too.

Don

Thank You Sponsors!