The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Arborwear

Author Topic: machine to hog out beams  (Read 9256 times)

Offline eamassey

• Share Post
Re: machine to hog out beams
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2007, 10:14:44 PM »
If there is any serious demand for a "beam hog out" machine, I will build one and guarantee it to work.  Give me some specifications: Max and Min beam size, max length beam, max depth of groove, max width of groove, required production rate.  Obviously, if you want a machine that can do everything -in this area- imaginable, and at very quick times, it would require a large and expensive machine.  A relatively slow machine capable of doing a quality cut- might be affordable to somebody out there.

Alternately, I would build a machine to do this function and do it myself---IF, there was the combination of volume and profitability.  (I doubt that the demand volume is adequate.)

I think I would go for clamped log/ moving powerhead- using an end mill type cutter rather than a saw or dado type cutter.  Or, one could build a very unusual cutter head using carbide inserts to cut a one inch kerf- then multi-pass to get any width cut- bigger than the single pass kerf. 

Offline solodan

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2007, 11:26:03 PM »
I have been asked to do this several times, and like I said before I do it on a swinger. :) If I need it to be super clean, than I just take a kerfs width each pass. Sure, I may need to take 24 passes to get a 6 " wide cut, but so what, the customer has just paid me the equivalent of 2 extra hours for something that takes me an extra 15 minutes. :)

Offline getoverit

• Senior Member x2
  • freeing trees from silence
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2007, 11:12:38 AM »
The idea of the log beaver wasnt to turn a log, but rather the engine moving along a rail with a router bit attached to it. The log would remain stationary and the engine/router bit/ shaper head would run up and down the log taking out a channel. This should be something fairly easy to build.

There was another similar machine to this one that was set up to cut out tongue and groove joints on logs for use in log cabins. Same approach, but when the outside of the log was turned true and round, then the log stopped moving and the channels or tongues were cut using the same bit.

I dont see why this wouldnt work for what you are wanting to do. By the way, they just built a new sporting goods store here in jax called "Gander Mountain". In the store, all of the steel support beams have been covered over with hollowed out logs that were sawn in half length wise, then a channel routed out, then wrapped around the steel post and screwed back together. Makes a pretty nice looking decoration and makes you feel like you are in a massive log cabin.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Offline Dale Hatfield

• A plan is a start to a great ending
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2007, 07:17:30 AM »
It seams to me that on the swing mills. That you could make angled cuts to remove larger  chunks of wood .The 2 cuts would work you down to the shell faster than many vertical cuts to be knocked out . Start in the center wit a vertical cut the go to the outside with angled cut to remove a section. Just stay inside of the shell section with the angled cuts.
I have been pondering this same thing. but to make outside/inside corners for cabins. But as the log dried the angle may change which wouldnt make for a tight corner. I guess air/kiln dried logs would make the diff.
Has anyone seen what happens with the shell  log cover after it has dried?
Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Offline Don_Papenburg

• Senior Member x2
  • I need money
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2007, 09:00:44 PM »
A shell log should be fine as the crack inducing center has been removed If it is installed so it can move with the humidity changes.   It would be sort of like when you drill out the center of a pillar  it lets the outer wood move. Without the wood in the center the pillar can shrink and swell with out cracking .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Offline doublecut

• Full Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
    • D&L Doublecut Sawmills
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2007, 12:20:31 PM »
We have a attachement that work with any swing mill that will take lumber out of the notch instead of hogging it into sawdust.
I have pics but my limited  computer skills may hamper getting  them up on the forum. BUt i will try.
doublecut

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2007, 12:54:55 PM »
When you cut a log in half and then dry it, the same shrinkage forces are at work that would have caused it to check. The flat faces of two flat slabs tend to become convex. Notched vertical log corners tend to become obtuse as they dry.

An end mill type of cutter would be a pretty neat machine, it would need to be a pretty healthy diameter to hold up at much depth.

I've wondered about something similar. If a stylus was following one log''s natural contours and the end mill directly above it was removing the corresponding wood from another log, you'd have a perfect scribe.

Offline LOGDOG

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2007, 02:13:52 PM »
How about this? Photos courtesy of DOUBLECUT.  :) (Hope this works- been a while since I posted photos.)

I think that may have actually worked.  :)

LOGDOG

Offline Mr Mom

• still alive!!!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2007, 03:25:40 PM »
What about the logosol planer/molder that you can use on there mill??
Could you have them make a knife that would do that??
Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Offline Dangerous_Dan

• Full Member x2
  • Poor planning on your part does not constitute an EMERGENCY on mine.
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2007, 04:45:56 PM »
How about mounting a router, saw or cutter head to this contraption.

It's got 2 heavy duty tubes with tight fitting linear bearings and a ball screw to move it back and forth. From what I have been told it is some kind of lift for use in a pharmaceutical  co lifting material into a reactor.
The frame is made of stainless and my buddie was going to scrap it.
First you make it work, then you trick it out!

Offline spencerhenry

• Share Post
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2007, 12:20:27 AM »
that looks like what i need to do. how deep can you go with that?
great pictures

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Old Barn Beams / Dried Beams Wanted

Started by Michael NY TF on Wanted

4 Replies
Last post May 08, 2016, 08:34:36 AM
by Chuck White
xx
Machine for S4S and T&G?

Started by Brad_bb on Sawmills and Milling

52 Replies
Last post November 24, 2017, 04:59:31 PM
by scsmith42