iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

machine to hog out beams

Started by spencerhenry, December 03, 2007, 06:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doublecut

We have a attachement that work with any swing mill that will take lumber out of the notch instead of hogging it into sawdust.
I have pics but my limited  computer skills may hamper getting  them up on the forum. BUt i will try.
doublecut

Don P

When you cut a log in half and then dry it, the same shrinkage forces are at work that would have caused it to check. The flat faces of two flat slabs tend to become convex. Notched vertical log corners tend to become obtuse as they dry.

An end mill type of cutter would be a pretty neat machine, it would need to be a pretty healthy diameter to hold up at much depth.

I've wondered about something similar. If a stylus was following one log''s natural contours and the end mill directly above it was removing the corresponding wood from another log, you'd have a perfect scribe.

LOGDOG

How about this? Photos courtesy of DOUBLECUT.  :) (Hope this works- been a while since I posted photos.)

I think that may have actually worked.  :)

LOGDOG

Mr Mom

What about the logosol planer/molder that you can use on there mill??
Could you have them make a knife that would do that??
Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Dangerous_Dan

How about mounting a router, saw or cutter head to this contraption.

It's got 2 heavy duty tubes with tight fitting linear bearings and a ball screw to move it back and forth. From what I have been told it is some kind of lift for use in a pharmaceutical  co lifting material into a reactor.
The frame is made of stainless and my buddie was going to scrap it.
First you make it work, then you trick it out!

spencerhenry

that looks like what i need to do. how deep can you go with that?
great pictures

Thank You Sponsors!