iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pocket knives

Started by thedeeredude, December 05, 2007, 06:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedeeredude

I am a pocket knife aficionado.  I admit it.  I am looking at a new purchase, a Kissing Crane mule with a 2-3/4" blade(3" is the legal limit at work).  Its got some sort of hardwood handle(the main reason for buying it over a Case sod buster with a plastic handle).  Anyone know of a good reputable dealer to get one online?  Thanks.

submarinesailor

york

Albert

thedeeredude

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

CHARLIE

Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

thedeeredude

Thanks for the replies fellows.  I have a good Case knife that was a birthday gift that I use at work and I dont want to wreck it.

Tom

Well, Deerdude, I'm a lover of knives too.  Not the kind of knife that people spend a thousand dollars for and hang on the wall, I love those that are engineered to carry and work.

When I was growing up, Case was "the" knife to carry.  It's claim to fame was the good steel in the carbon steel blades and the roundness of every surface.   Case knives didn't wear holes in your pockets.  The little Peanuts were the best everyday gentleman's knife made.   Then they lost the reason that they were popular. I don't know why.  The family sold the factory and the knives began to have corners, blades whose back corners stuck up, square ends that wore trousers, not-quite-finished back edges that wore cloth and wood or antler or bone handles that hadn't been polished enough.

Now Case is more of a collector's item, not a tool.  I'm not sure that that the quality is there because of it.  When I buy someone a Case for a gift, I have to pick through a lot of knives to find one that care was taken in its manufacture.  Even then I have to accept some defects that didn't used to exist.

Old Timers are good knives but have never measured up to the quality of the old Case.  Even Schrade copied a lot of Case's designs but lacked the interest in finishing the product to make it a "carrying" knife.  There is much more to a "Dress" knife than that the blade is good steel and the proof of a good knife is in its use.   Wall hanging stuff can be purchased from China, Taiwan and India for little dollars, but I wouldn't waste my money on one to put it to work.

Nate Surveyor

I am a big fan of the GERBER LST, 3.5" blade.

I can make a great CASE for buying one.

They sharpen well, and can BUCK right through a deer.

They will make an OLD TIMER happy!

I could go on!

:)

Nate
I know less than I used to.

thedeeredude

Case knives have become so expensive its ridiculous.  I did get to tour the zippo/case museum in Bradford though.  Pretty neat and they sell every case knife you can think of.  I want a carbon steel blade though, no stainless.  I think I may either get the Kissing Crane or an Okapi from south africa.  Had one before and it was very nice, IMHO.

tcsmpsi

Hey deerdude

Haven't had any of the cranes in stock for years, but I'll see what I can find.  Do keep the 'sodbuster' and the peanut, though.   ;D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

thedeeredude

Quote from: tcsmpsi on December 10, 2007, 07:30:07 AM
Hey deerdude

Haven't had any of the cranes in stock for years, but I'll see what I can find.  Do keep the 'sodbuster' and the peanut, though.   ;D

Are they stainless or carbon?  Thanks.

tcsmpsi

The sodbuster is chrome vandium and the peanut is stainless.  I pretty much stick with the old standard yellow handles on the Case knives.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

flip

I have a Ken Onion "chive" in my pocket now, it is assisted open.  I find them handy when holding something and don't have both hands available to open the blade.
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

IL Bull

Case still makes the carbon steel blade pocket knives.  You just have to make sure before you buy. :P
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

getoverit

I have quite a collection of queen steel knives. Some of them are good every day knives like Tom talks about and some of them are best suited for wall hangers. The steel in the blades seem to hold up well and they are made pretty good too. Hard to find them though.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Texas Ranger

Growing up, there was always a "queen" in my pocket, single blade.  Hunting, fishing, camping, walking down the road, there it was with me.  Now it is a Gerber and a Swiss Army.  I guess it averages out between the two.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Shotgun

Always (!!!) a knife in my pocket. I have well over a hundred.  Many new Case knives.  I bought out a Case dealer many years ago and have many left that are mint (and well stored) condition.  My carry knives are Case or Buck.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

tcsmpsi

Now, for daily carry, for years I have been carrying a Gerber Applegate/Fairbairn...and a Victorinox Classic Swiss Army in my watch pocket (along with a spare cuff key...and my lucky coin).  The little Swiss Army is indespensible for fine, field surgeries with its razor sharp blade and scissors (which have been sharpened many times) and its tweezers.  The toothpick has come in handy many times, as well.   ;D

I also keep a medium equipped Swiss Army 'full size' in my fanny pack, and another in another place or two. 

It is, I would venture, impossible to beat a good Victorinox.  Heck, today you can even get them with built in data storage, lights, lasers, etc., etc.

Though, I do and always liked Case knives.  Just because.   ;)

DWM II

I carry a case sodbuster jr with the black handle. It has the stainless blade which I dont care for. My working partner carrys the yellow handle with a carbon blade and that thing stays as sharp as a razor, and it sharpens much easier as well.
Stewardship Counts!

thedeeredude

Quote from: DWM II on December 11, 2007, 07:25:10 PM
I carry a case sodbuster jr with the black handle. It has the stainless blade which I dont care for. My working partner carrys the yellow handle with a carbon blade and that thing stays as sharp as a razor, and it sharpens much easier as well.

Precisely.  Carbon or bust!

mike_van

When I started grade school in '59, I had a pocket knife, we all did. Nowadays, you'd be doing hard time in the big house for that - How sad.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Dan_Shade

it is sad, it's a commentary of what happens when you don't punish bad people (or properly rehabilitate - whatever you fancy to call it), and let idiots who have a complete lack of understanding of how the real world is run the place.

I often wonder how many people have been stabbed with Old Timers, or Case, or Buck knives.

I've always felt that a man worth his salt carried a knife with him, and got grumpy about having to remove it.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Beweller

Doesn't anyone like Boker?
Beweller

limbrat

I have carried a victorinox tinker for years the metal imbelem on the side now stands well higher than the scales, didnt know my back pocket was that abrasive.
I did buy one of the novilty knifes from a c-store that has realy impressed me for a general box cutter paint scraper kind of knife. Its stainless made by crtk and i think it is called a p.e.c.k.. It has a 1.5" bird beak blade that is wide in cross section with a good point. It is the simplest lock blade i have ever seen its just a blade and handle two pieces of metal with a pin hinge a stud to stop it at full open and another to stop it at full close and a ball bearing to hold it closed. No scales no springs no seperate dividers no seperate locks or releases. The handle has a relief cut in it so that when it is open one end of the handle swings behind the blade and locks it open. It had a money clip on it but i took that junk off. Its less than .25" thick when closed and half of that is blade. Its a effective light duty tool, a novel mechanical device and it s nothing in your pocket. Im gona keep it.
ben

Thank You Sponsors!