iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

metal detection

Started by bandmiller2, December 06, 2007, 06:27:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Has anyone tried to find tramp metal with one of those airport security wands ,might be handy if they work.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

John_Haylow

Hi Frank.
I have a hand held Lumber Wizard that is suppost to work down to a depth of 6".There are probably better units as these retail for about $100 and more for woodworking.
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

scsmith42

Frank, a couple of years ago I was up at Mark Stricklands place (GA_Boy), and Craig Blake (Captain) was there also.  Someone had brought one of the airport wands which we compared with some of the higher quality metal detectors.

The airport wand did detect metal, but only at a very shallow depth (around 1" as I recall).  The unit that we tested was not as good as a more traditional (ie expensive) detector.

Mark or Craig may have a more detailed memory than I; my main recollection was that it was only suitable if run over the log prior to every pass for a 4/4 board.

Granted this may have been an older wand - it was not a scientific study.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

pineywoods

Kids gave me a harbor freight wand type detector. It sorta works, but I wouldn't depend on it finding anything more than a couple inches deep. However it works well for finding the bolt-washer-nut-etc that I'm forever dropping in the sawdust under the mill  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

brdmkr

I have a bounty hunter detector.   I don't know what model.  It cost about 150 or so.  I really don't know how deep it will detect, but I have not hit metal since I started using it.  I have had to cull some logs that I could not dig to the metal with chisels and an axe (metal was over 4").  I have not done any tests with it to know how deep it will probe.  No more than I saw, it seems like a decent choice.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Thank You Sponsors!