iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Handling Timbers in the ice and snow

Started by Scott G, December 06, 2007, 12:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott G

Does anyone have any tips on handling icy and snowy timbers with metal forks.  No matter how slow I go, all it takes is one bump and the timbers go sliding all over the place.  Any suggestions will help.

Thank you

submarinesailor

Good ratchet straps holding them in place until you are stopped or ready to dump.  Been there done that, works great.

Bruce

John_Haylow

Hi Scott.
How about adding some little spot welds on the forks with an arc welder.Just enough to grip but not interfere.
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

beenthere

Adding a thumb with hyd cyl to hold down logs would be a good addition, if you do much handling of logs ooops - timbers. 
Just need to consider how much time you want to save...messing with picking them back up, driving slow, or getting off and chaining/strapping them down..All needs to be figured in. :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Sprucegum

As mentioned, ratchet straps are safest and do the least damage to the timbers. And they don't take very long. It just part of work in winter  :-\

Scott G

I don't handle any logs so a clamp really would not work.

My supervisor will not let me weld anything onto the forks because, "it will weaken the forks".

I have tried ratchet "belly" straps but when I am moving 50 - 100 timbers a day, that is a lot of getting on and off of the lift, but it works and that may be my only solution.

Thanks

beenthere

I missed the timbers part.

If no welding, and no top clamp (a top clamp will cause less damage than dropping them off the forks onto the ground) ...
then put the timbers on a pallet that the forks fit into...move them that way....
....smooth out the bumps....

....or get off and strap them....that will work given you have the extra time. ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bibbyman

I have the same problem moving wet or snow covered logs.  Especially logs with smooth bark like sycamore.  Also hickory that's lost its bark. 

One thing I think aggravates the problem is the fork setup on our Terex fork attachment.  They adjust in and out and thus are not solid.  So the least little bump and they swing side to side like..... (well,  I better not use that analogy!) and the load shifts and often comes off. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

WH_Conley

The forks on Ford are chained solid, those hickory in the spring of the year will still move.

Welding won't hust as long as the welder takes his time. Short spot, wiat, spot, wait, don't get it hot. Any good welder will know how to do this. Course if the boss has his mind made up.
Bill

Gilman

I definitely wouldn't weld any of my forks.

I would make a set of mock fork extensions that my virgin forks slide into.  The extensions could have spike grippers welded on them.  Or loops welded to the side of them making strapping quicker to do.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Robert Long

timcosby

Scott G

Fork extensions sounds like the way to go (moving south sounds like a good idea also). thank you.

sawguy21

Will the boss let you pin the extensions to the forks? They have a bad habit of falling off if the forks are tapered, and most forks are.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Furby

Simply welding a loop or and eye to the sides of the extensions at the end nearest the mast or what ever your forks are mounted to, allows the use of a chain or strap to hold the extensions on the forks.

wle

Go to ebay look up thumb attachment skiddsteer,mount on bucket or forks nice clamping method,bolt on or weld mine works great

Thank You Sponsors!