iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What direction is foreward for you? (equipmentally speaking)

Started by Nate Surveyor, December 09, 2007, 01:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nate Surveyor

For me, I think my biggest need is a tractor, with forks, and a bucket for sawdust. (Or whatever those stringy things are that a circle saw makes!)

I think that is the next step.

That and a 220v planer.

If I find a good big floor sander first, I may go that route. Build the floor, sink the nails, and then sand it all.

What is your biggest need, equipment wise?

N
I know less than I used to.

bandmiller2

Nate,if you've got a mill you pretty much need a loader.The handiest one I've used is a skidsteer[bobcat]with forks.What I use is a john deere 60 with a JD 45w loader with adjustable forks.I had a multitech log grapple on the old deere but it was awkward.Its hard to beat forks,you can handle stock on a pallet or logs.I removed the bucket and made up fork mount its very important to be able to see the end of the forks.The long reach of the loader is handy.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

solodan

I'm right there with you Nate. I really need a tractor. :-\ The first thing everyone asks when they show up at my mill yard is how do you move these logs? I have a couple of log arches a Yamaha Rhino, a Ford 1 ton a, Highlift, a cant hook, a peavey, and some winches and chains. I can move them, even the 40" ers. Most of my logs I  mill, I buck to 16'. So I usually have some pretty heavy logs to move. I am looking a getting a smaller articulating wheel loader, cause they just seem to lift a whole lot more than a skidsteer or ag tractor. I also like the visibility that you get from a wheel loader as compared to a skidsteer. I also think a wheel loader is a better machine for moving snow. I am not having much luck finding what I want, used anyway. If I was going to buy a new one I think I would buy a Coyote c15 :)

woodsrunner

nate,
being a newbie i'm a little reluctant to reply, especially since i don't own a sawmill (yet) BUT here goes. i have farmed (row crops, vegetables and cattle) and been involved in timber growing and production for about 35 years and nothing is as handy and versatile as a good front endloader. Your uses for it will be limited only by your needs at the time. if sawmilling will be the primary use for it a good used mid sized wheel loader would be my choice. set it up with a quick change bucket/fork/grapple combo and i am sure it would meet 99% of your heavy equipment needs. if you can't find a good one in your price range a 4wd farm tractor with a stout FEL would be my second choice. Farm tractors aren't as strong on the front end as a dedicated wheel loader but will work if you're careful and don't overload them with monster logs. i use mine here on the farm for all kinds of things, can't imagine life without it. skid steers are great for some things but really heavy loads in my experience are not their forte. my .02.

Corley5

I'm actively searching for a 4X4 one ton dump truck.  Almost got one a few days agoin Pruedenville Mi but when I saw the Mickey Moused way the dump was attached I took my money back home
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Tom

Needing a multi-purpose machine to use around the house, I bought a Ford 555A rubber tired backhoe/loader with the intentions of selling it when I got the ditches dug, the stumps pulled and the land cleared.  Then I was always finding a use for it and it found a home.  My wife calls it her wheelbarrow.  

With the mill it is handy for moving trash, putting forks on the loader to move logs and lumber and putting skid hooks on the Hoe's crowd boom to "Boom" logs around the mill and to load or unload logs from trailers.   It's still got a job, even after 22 years.   I know I should probably sell it, but I don't know what I'd do without it.  :D

thecfarm

Can't do much at the moment.Just had a outdoor funace installed.Looking at a forestry trailer.But from what I can see,from what I need to do,I need a good size one.Than I need a tractor bigger than my 40hp one to move it around.I probaly will settle on a 4wd ton dump truck.Just some old junker.Will not leave my land.We'll see what happens in a few years.Maybe a small dozer too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Nate Surveyor

I'm impressed with the wheel loaders, but they are 'spensive!

And, I'd like a backhoe, and stuff too. I lean towards tractor, with bushhog and frnt end loader.

But, I am going to be careful to get one that can lift alot.

I feel that the amount they lift is less than wheel loaders. I used to have a wheel loader. Nice one too! (Tonka!)

Nate

solodan

I would like to get a small wheel loader around 10klbs so I could haul it with a 1 ton if I need to.  The problem I am finding is finding that the 30K lbs are way easier to find, used that is, so they are about the same price range. Nate how well did yours work on rough terrain that is the only thing that I see as being a problem, but around the mill yard it should do great.

Nate Surveyor

My Tonka? :D

Well, let me see now. I was about 5 yrs old. The tonka was about 8" tall, and about 15" long. It went over many kinds of terrain. Couches, chairs and tables.

But, it really found it's niche when I discovered building towns, by back dragging.

It was real good too in the sand from a recently drilled well.

Boy those are some great memories!

:)

(don't kill me for this, I thought everybody knew what a tonka was!)

Nate :D :D :D

SwampDonkey

Straight ahead. Just answering the question posed.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

slipshod

I got my loader before I got my mill. That being what it is I never had to be too creative when it comes to moving logs around. I have a John Deere 4600 compact utility tractor and the thing is a horse. I have almost every tool that can go on a three point hitch. On the front is a quick removal 460 loader and four way bucket. I bought this machine new in 2000 and it is perfect for what I do. The four way bucket will pick-up and carry big logs, makes it easy to put them on the mill and holds them where i want them until I get the clamps on. Two years ago I made a set of forks for it and I have found more uses for those then one would think.

brdmkr

Nate,

I am with you in the loader department.  I have a Ford 4600 SU tractor.  It does great with a bush hog or box blade, but it does not have much beef in the front end for a FEL.  I'd buy an FEL for it anyway, but finding a used one that will work for me has been challenging.  I have about decided that I will just keep dragging logs SLOWLY until I can save enough cash to get a 4wd tractor with a grapple loader.  I suppose that as the need increases, I may be able to convince the wife to let me sell the tractor I have and get one with a loader.  You really do need a tractor and loader if you are moving logs. 

I could also likely make do with a fairly large log arch.  I suppose I need to learn how to weld!
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

solodan

Nate, Yeah I know what a Tonka is I still have some. 8) Just didn't read the post real well. :-[ :-[  I would be real happy if a small farm tractor would work, but a farm tractor with a FEL just aint buit to lift 5000lbs logs all day. I am real happy that I get alot of big wood, but I am not real happy about moving them.  :-\  One day we moved a 16K lb. sugarpine log with a Highlift jack. 8) 

SwampDonkey

Be careful around that monster wood. I don't want to read about a mashed solodan.  :-\

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Nate Surveyor

I have made myself a logging arch. I will post pics later, after I like it better!

And, I have a big Polaris 4wd 800cc 4-wheeler. So I can pull it.

But, there is no substitute for a good set of strong forks, and a lift that can lift 3000+ (more like 5000)

Solodan, I didn't mean to put you on the spot, but the memories of my Tonka loader were pleasant!

N

york

Hi,i am looking for a snow pusher-that will go in place of the bucket on my loader....is not a blade but a upside/down bucket-they work well,cost about 3,000 for a 6 ft.
Albert

solodan

Maybe I should be looking at the Tonkas, they're more in my price range. :D

raycon

Moving logs I either use an old ford tractor (1962 industrial 2000) with FEL-starts every time. The 3 point hitch can skid any log I'll ever lift onto the mill. I see them around here for under 2k starting out again I'd still go that that route. 4wd drive conversion kits exist.  I bought a skid steer this year an early 80's Thomas with 2200lb lift weighs in at 10k+. Next thing is a tie log truck I've been watching rot into the ground for 10 years. If I had cash and time I'd get a CDL and the blue ox down in the for sale section.
Lot of stuff..

Nate Surveyor

OK, What is a FEL? And a CDL (commercial Drivers license..!) I will go look at the blue ox.

And thanks a ton to everybody for the replies.

Nate

SwampDonkey

Nate Surveyor

I see, I see,

(said the blind man, to the deaf man, over the telephone!) :D :D

Thanks!

Nate

hansbaba

I have been waiting for a thread like this for a while now. I have a 35hp kubota with a loader that is just plain too small. I have been contemplating upgrading to a kubota 7040 (68hp) (no I have no alliance with kubota, its just what I have had on our farm for a while) The 7040 can lift about 3000lbs but that is all the way to the top of the lift range. I am told that just lifting a couple of feet to move things around and also with forks, the center of gravity is brought in a bit closer, therefore enabling you to lift a bit more weight. What is nice about this size tractor is you can still haul it around with a 3/4 ton truck. Much bigger and it gets a bit dicey. (There is a lot of hills where I live. Getting pushed down a steep grade by a giant trailer isnt too comforting even with an exhaust brake!) I have thought about a full on backhoe but then moving it more than a couple of miles at a time is an issue. I have some pretty big redwoods and d-firs to deal with and although the 70hp might not lift the whole 8000lb log, you can certainly finesse it around one end at a time easier than using my hi-lift 1" at a time!!! Just today I spent about 2hrs huffing and puffing an 18'x42" redwood log around. Even a wet 6x6 weighed probably 200lbs.
Like you Nate, I am looking for some hydraulic assistance. The trick is to find what is most practical....I guess....
Hans.

SwampDonkey

Would trailer brakes help calm the nerves on those hills? ;D

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!