iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kohler Oil Filter on Peterson WPF

Started by FC_PineKnot, December 17, 2007, 07:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FC_PineKnot

My Peterson WPF 8" has the 27 hp Kohler engine.  I sent the wife by a local merchant who handles Kohler oil filters.  My mill has a Kohler filter # 52 050 02-S on it.  The merchant said Kohler only makes 2 models of oil filters (is that really true?), and that he was out of the one I wanted.  So he sold her a filter # 12 050 01-S, which looks like the one I wanted, only it's a little shorter.

Why make 2 filters that are only slightly different, especially if it doesn't matter which one you use? And by the way, I'm not sure that it DOESN'T matter!

In any case, does anyone use another brand on their Kohler?  If so, what brand and model # do you use?  Are you satisfied that it's doing the job?

Burlkraft

I use Wix filters on mine.

I like Wix filters   ;)  ;)

The Wix number is 51348

The size didn't change on mine that I noticed, but my mill was used and had 1 oil change when I got it. It had a Fram on it when I bought it.
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Captain

The first number is the OE filter, larger capacity and filter element.  The second number is used in tighter applications such as ZTR mowers and the like.  They both have the same thread base and check valve structure.  We use the original number where possible and stock a gaggle of both.

Captain

FC_PineKnot

Craig,

Is there any difference in the functioning of these 2 filters?  Does it matter which one I use on the Peterson, since physical size really doesn't matter as far as space is concerned?

Are the Kohler filters any better than the Wix filters that Burlkraft uses?

sawguy21

The longer filter will do a better job but the short one is more than adequate. As Captain mentioned, the latter is used where clearance is tight. Wix or Purolator likely make them for Kohler.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

hansbaba

Since were talking about oil on the wpf with 27hp kohler. Has anyone had any problems with the oil drain bolt. I try to slide a tin can or something underneath the head of the bolt so that oil doesnt run down under the frame and all over the gas tank. If there were to be an extension of some sort on the drain bolt it would be loads easier. I dont even think I would spill a drop. Is it just me or has anyone else fussed with this.

ScottAR

The Wix # for the short one is 57035.  I usually recommend the 51348 if it
will physically fit as the 57035 is actually more expensive if I remember
correctly for reasons unknown to me.  Plus, I just like the idea of a bigger
filter with more oil in it.    I run a 3 quart on my 7.3 ford for the same reason.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Captain

http://www.majestystables.com/cgi-bin/store/cp-app.cgi?usr=51F8938346&rnd=3909862&rrc=N&affl=&cip=70.19.218.177&act=&aff=&pg=prod&ref=kohlerdrain&cat=engaccess&catstr=HOME:small_engines:engaccess

Hans, if you check the above link in our store, you will see the solution to that problem!!  Actually, I've been using an extension hose as well with that valve lately, total cost is about $30.

Jimmy, the bigger filter is my personal preference.  As mentioned, the smaller will do the job.  The Kohler filter is a very good filter; I've cut them apart and compared them to other filter brands.  (I am a bit versed on the subject with my background) Kohler recommends a new oil presoak of the element, just open up the filter and fill with oil.  Allow to stand for 3-4 min, then spin it on.  Without this step, there will be small air bubbles trapped within the lubrication system for a period of time when started.

We've got the Kohler Genuine filters on the website as well:
http://www.majestystables.com/cgi-bin/store/cp-app.cgi?usr=51F8938346&rnd=7279828&rrc=N&affl=&cip=70.19.218.177&act=&aff=&pg=prod&ref=kohlerbig&cat=kohlerpts&catstr=HOME:small_engines:kohlerpts

Captain

FC_PineKnot

Everyone - thanks for the good info.

Craig - thanks for the part about pre-filling the filter to prevent trapped air - never even thought about that!  Also, I would be glad to order the filters from you, but I'm sure the shipping costs would hurt! :o  Guess I just need to include them with a much bigger order, huh?   ;D

I think I'll exchange the short ones for the long ones (when the merchant gets them in), or I'll try the WIX.  Just seems better to use as large a filter as possible.

Captain

No problem Jimmy, stock up with your next order  ;)

Captain

hansbaba

Thanks for the info Captain,
I'll be ordering one next time I need to change the oil.
hans.

rewimmer

I have been using STP filters on my Kohler 27hp. Cross reference  no. S3512 and stocked at Auto Zone for around $3.00. I think the Fram no. is PH8172 but they are not stocked at any stores around here that I have found. I change my oil every 50 hours instead of the recommended 100. I put a small pipe with a 90 deg. elbow and plug on my engine to drain the oil. (No more messes) Also the 6hp brigs on my TK B-20 had the same problem and I tapped the oil drain hole out to a 1/8 NTP and installed the pipe with elbow.
Robert in Virginia

Thank You Sponsors!