The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Bad loggers  (Read 2942 times)

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Bad loggers
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2014, 06:30:54 PM »
You would think that their bad reputation would catch up with them and they would run out of work but it seems they always keep going and continue to give loggers a bad name

"Stinky" doesn't get many repeat customers. I suspect if he does get any, they have no idea how badly their woodlot was pillaged and raped the first time around.  There is a changing landowner demographic in VT. The old time families who held large tracts of land for generations are getting fewer and fewer. More and more landowners are new to owning land, and don't really know much about good land stewardship. THey make great targets for guys like Stinky.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2014, 06:38:56 PM »
That is why,references,references,references. And check them too.   ;)   But I suppose a forester would stop alot of the bad loggers from stealing too. And as I say,if they come a knocking and say they can be there in a week,wonder why? And then run the other way. Good loggers are busy. As @bill m   is.  ;D  so are good mechanics,good doctors,good anything really.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2014, 12:04:18 AM »
That is why,references,references,references. And check them too.   ;)   But I suppose a forester would stop alot of the bad loggers from stealing too. And as I say,if they come a knocking and say they can be there in a week,wonder why? And then run the other way. Good loggers are busy. As @bill m   is.  ;D  so are good mechanics,good doctors,good anything really.
that's funny thecfarm I just started cutting a piece that I told the lo I was going to do in march they have been good about waiting and have talked to the other lo about me every one seems to like the way I do things  there was 2 roads that where about 500ft from joining each other with no way of getting an atv between so I just put them together when the lo came up and saw it they could not thank me enough even tried to pay me I just said give me a good name to the people next door   ill be cutting them off this winter  ;D a little bit of extra goes a long way to some  but as far as bad loggers every town has them  and to some they said the same about me  :D :D :D

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2014, 05:17:56 AM »
coxy and that is how and why Jeff started the FF.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline thenorthman

• Now we're logging
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2014, 08:39:09 AM »
This kind of thing keeps me up nights...  I've been "outbid" a few times... but the results have been less then spectacular...

I'm the new guy so sometimes I can be there in a few weeks or a month or two, but it seems like someone else can be there tomorrow, these are the folks I worry about...

All a guy can do is be honest, do whats right and pay the LO,  Sometimes its not much, (danger trees, full cleanup etc) but if logs go to the mill they still get paid.
well that didn't work

Offline Southside

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2014, 11:22:45 PM »
I honestly don't understand how these guys who don't pay get away with it.  A few weeks back when bringing a load of logs to the mill a guy literally came out into the road and started flagging me down, I thought for sure I had a wheel falling off or something like that.  Got stopped around the corner and he came driving up as I was walking around and looking under the truck completely perplexed. 

Turns out the guy owns a large chunk of land and it had been cut on the winter before, you can see over 100 AC from the road alone, and he did not get a penny for it.  He has more and wanted to know if I would look at it to cut it for him, he gave me the name of the logger who had been there, when I asked at the mill I was told that same logger usually has unhappy landowners.  To top it off the poor guys house had burned down. 

No idea how these guys stay in business.  Like everyone else said, you did the right thing. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline Woodboogah

• Share Post
    • Blue Ribbon Outdoors
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2014, 08:16:20 AM »
I see it all the time here (Southern NH) a lot of them are "free tree removal" they leave the place looking like a tornado blew through.  Some of these lots I am sure warrant free removal to cover the cost, junk and few trees.  Then some of these lots are beautiful to begin with, then trashed, stripped of the money wood and left.  These "loggers" have a terrible reputation and stay working.  Only if the landowner had a little education and knew that they could potentially make a buck or at lease have a good looking lot.  Blows my mind that a poor quality job and bad reputation keeps you busy.
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

Offline Black_Bear

• UMaine Black Bears
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2014, 08:32:00 AM »
I honestly don't understand how these guys who don't pay get away with it.  No idea how these guys stay in business.

The bad apples around here just keep moving around, spanning 4 or 5 counties. It's easy to travel when you are pocketing all the stumpage. Also, it's pretty rural up here and a landowner often won't know of the loggers reputation. What's worst is that the landowner won't do any research or obtain references, they just see dollar signs...until the end, when they have little or nothing to show for the wood.

Offline jwilly3879

• Share Post
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2014, 11:54:54 AM »
From what I hear around here it is sometimes who gets there first. LO needs some money and wants it now, can't wait for a logger who has work.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Pro Loggers

Started by muledriver on Forestry and Logging

27 Replies
Last post November 12, 2004, 05:03:42 PM
by SwampDonkey
question
CT Loggers

Started by osllogging on Forestry and Logging

8 Replies
Last post January 01, 2003, 03:36:03 PM
by NEPAUG_LOGGER