iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Greasing an electric motor

Started by Dave Shepard, February 22, 2008, 07:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

What's the right procedure to grease an electric motor? Our LT40E15 has a 15 hp Baldor with grease fittings. I was told that there should be a plug opposite the fitting, and to pump grease until the new grease came out the plug hole. Only problem is, I don't see any plug holes on the motor. Anyone have any ideas? I don't want to pump the motor full of grease. :o This motor does an awful lot of growling when you start it, that doesn't seem right to me. Thanks.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

LeeB

Here at work we use about 1 shot every 6 months.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Bibbyman

I've never see or heard of a hole like you mentioned.

I grease our 25hp motor once a year with one pump – two zerks – one on each end. 

It takes special grease.  I can't tell you what it is off the top of my head.  I have some so I can get the specs for you.

I've been advised not to over grease them.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

footer

Your right about not over greasing them. Too much grease will throw itself around the inside of the motor, which will prematurly deteriorate the insulation on the windings, and, or overheat the bearings causing failure.
Here is an article worth reading. http://www.enerchecksystems.com/articl04.html
Some motors have a plug in the bottom, and you can remove it, and pump new grease in, and leave the plug out for a while when it is running to purge out the excess grease. A lot of older, large motors were made that way.

bandmiller2

Dave sometimes elect motors have a grease fitting but also sealed bearings.If you meet much resistance putting grease in quit .I would run the motor and put grease in slowly you should hear a differance,just a little grease is enough.If in fact the bearings are growling they probibly need replacing,not a big or expensive job.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

zopi

Webhead stuff...

http://www.baldor.com/support/product_manuals.asp

FWIW..less grease is often better in motors...hadda oversealous squid once, who was of the opinion that
a grease gun was synonymous with "super soaker"   what a mess..and a $15k servomotor that weighed 400lb
had to come off the mast of the ship... >:(
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Thank You Sponsors!