iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rainy Weather!!!!!!!

Started by jake29, March 19, 2008, 06:10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jake29

The weather this winter sure has put a hurtin on us. Anybody else having that trouble? We are in Ohio and I don't think we have worked 1 week in the last month and half and its getting rough.Between the weather, fuel prices, and log prices dropping I don't know how much longer we can stay afloat.

zackman1801

here in maine we have gotten soo much snow that the belly plates on the skidder are making the wheels come off the ground in some spots...so it sure does make twitching wood impossible. i know up in northern maine a big logging company laid off all of its employees for the time being because they just cant make any production with all the snow. its soo hard to just get into the woods nowadays let alone produce much.
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

semologger

You have only had a month of bad weather. You are lucky come down here. We have been off for about 3 months. But thats about to change will be looking for a say off preety soon. I need to get the lawn mower out and get it ready. The easter lillys are every were.

Maineloggerkid

I can second  what zach said. I am out of work here in AMine for the time being, as the snow is just too deep for my machine.

ONe good thing is, if you do cut right now, You can go back this summer and get another butt log off all the stumps! :D
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

SAW MILLER

Jake29,
  Welcome to the forum,I see it's your first post.I too am in OH and up to my knees in mud!

Ron
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

OneWithWood

I had 3 1/2 days of decent weather to make up for a winters worth of no go.  Worked my tail off and broke a winter's worth of stuff.

It's been raining a ton the last few days.  I actually had hail bouncing off of me on Monday  :o
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

WH_Conley

What part of Ohio are you in, sounds like Kentucky. Except for the buckeyes :D :D :D
Bill

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum, Jake29. Mud is a real pain. I'd rather have deep snow.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

jake29

Hey guys, Thanks for the welcomes, I am from the southern part of Ohio

donny hochstetler

welcome aboard jake ....I'm new to the forum also ,  what part of ohio are you from, i'm from sugarcreek ,I might even know you  :) :) all i know its muddy as all get out . i cut one tract of timber back in january, it was nice then, but i've been settin for the longest time now, we also do tree service work and its tough to go on peoples yards ,and not get granny mad :D but i think were through the worst of it . lumber prices are down, also makes it very difficult. but we mainly depend on the tree service , for our main source of income, i just cut timber for the fun of it. 8)

thecfarm

Sugarcreek,I've been there.Went to see the Amish section.Looks just like Maine in that part of Ohio.We really enjoyed ourselves when we was there.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jake29

I'm from the Chillicothe area..

Ed_K

Dave, you forgot to mention the mud under that deep snow. I tried last monday to pull a hitch out in deerfield Ma. spun thru the snowcrust and mud and water came up  >:( .Had to drop the hitch and head for higher ground.Winched up and sunk again, the logs are still sittin there  :( . I'm doing ok this winter, only a few small breaks and a lift arm on the skidder. I'll be fixing that tomorrow got a piece of 3/4 x 8" x 8' flat stock to rebuild the cutting edge too,   Free too  8) . The real reason for doin ok? got on the plowin crew with the town  ;D .They pay me, I give it back for taxes  :( .
Ed K

Dave Shepard

Yeah, that can be a real pain too. I had a couple of oak tops from trees I took out last fall. I went in to get them and had no trouble in the two feet of snow, but there is one spot on my skid road that is mud all but about three months in the middle of summer. I'll have to try again later. :D Might do some ditch work again to see if I can't rectify the situation.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!