iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1980's Woodmizer LT20 mill with Aluminum track

Started by gus1957, March 20, 2008, 11:43:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gus1957

Looking for help with the Aluminum track -- where to find extra pieces or ideas for extensions that people have already done.

Thank you

Bibbyman

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

gus1957

Yes I called Woodmizer. They don't carry track any more. They said it was a specialty mill for back in locations designed to be light weight to be carried easily. They have gone to all steel.

Bibbyman

They were at one time looking for these mills and were making some kind of deal to trade for an LT15.  They were refurbishing the old LT20s and sending them to remote areas of the world.

They have one setup in their museum.  I have a picture of it somewhere.  I'll post it if I can find it.
Sawing since '94

breederman

Is it cantiliverd?  I know where there is one.  did not know the model#  I tried to buy it but he wouldn't sell.  Guess it is better for it setting in the weeds. :-\
Together we got this !

Bibbyman

Here are some pictures of an old Wood-Mizer LT20 all aluminum mill. 

This is the LT20 they have on display at the Wood-Mizer office in Indy.  Notice it has a single mast? 

Here is one set up in Belize.  Many were donated by Wood-Mizer to missions in remote places.
Sawing since '94

trim4u2nv

I saw one of those at an auction in Sandwich Illinois.  I believe the auctioneer was Gavin.  Maybee he remembers who he sold it to. When I saw it it was broken down into a steel framed type crate. 

Bibbyman

It was designed to break down and be transported by Jeep, helicopter, or pack mules.
Sawing since '94

gus1957

Breederman,

That is the mill pictured.  Unadilla is only about 45 minutes away from me if you can get me more info. -- that would be a great help.

It does break down and store in its own light weight steel crate.

Thank you

breederman

That looks like it, but I was thinking that the gaurds were orange.  It was a couple of years ago when I saw it.  It is probably buried in snow at the moment.
Together we got this !

gus1957

Hello,

If you can give me the location - I'll go and look or a phone number.

I inherited this mill from my father-n-law and either I find extensions to saw 25' or I trade it in on another mill. I need to saw beams to fix the old barn.

I appreciate the help.

captainskinnybeard

Hello everyone:

There is one of these Aluminum Wood-Mizers for sale in my area. I havn't been out to look at it yet. I am a hobby woodworker and so far I have sawed a lot of stuff with a vertical bandsaw and various chainsaw and Prazi beam cutter arangements. Lots of fun but slow, hard and inefficient. I'm wondering if this old Wood-Mizer is worth buying or if it is a museum piece. I understand the owner cut siding for his house with it and now he is done and want's to sell it.

Any idea what it is worth?

Thanks.

brdmkr

I saw one of those on ebay within the last week or so.  I thought it was some sort of WM knockoff.  I never dreamed it was the real deal.  I don't remember it being very expensive.  It may have made a heck of a collector's item.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

cantcutter

Quote from: gus1957 on March 21, 2008, 10:13:09 AM

extensions to saw 25' or I trade it in on another mill. I need to saw beams to fix the old barn.

I appreciate the help.

It is not easy to do, but you can saw one end of your log square, use a chainsaw to cut the slabs loose, then drag the log down and saw the other end to match.

captainskinnybeard

Quote from: brdmkr on October 23, 2008, 08:35:39 PM
I saw one of those on ebay within the last week or so.  I thought it was some sort of WM knockoff.  I never dreamed it was the real deal.  I don't remember it being very expensive.  It may have made a heck of a collector's item.

That's the same one. The bidding didn't reach his reserve. It was local pickup only. I talked to the guy who owns it and I am going to go look at it.

Slabs

Though I didn't recognize the track material, I'll betcha you could substitute Iron for the additions you want to incorporate.  You did say that you just wanted to extend the tracks, or was there something else? 
We're a crafty lot here on the forum and somebody could probably come up with a substitute design for just about any modification you can imagine.

Good luck
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

HOOF-ER

I picked up 40' of 4x6 aluminum I beam for track for my swinger. Less than $400 at the local salvage yard. Looked like new. Plan on putting small angle on top of it for the mill to roll on. ;D
Home built swing mill, 27hp Kawasaki

Thank You Sponsors!