iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WoodMizer simple set works

Started by Russ, May 26, 2008, 07:53:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ

I just got a new to me yr 2000 Wood-Mizer LT40 hydraulic. It has what they call simple setworks . They program the kerf differently than the log scale. After I have put three edges on the cant how do I use the setworks and have the bottom board come out right ? Every calculation seems to be from top down. I could reprogram the set works to 0 kerf and line up the quarter scale indicator. I quess the computer has figured a better kerf allowance than is on the scale . Anybody understand my Question ?  More dumb questions to come. Russ

ellmoe

Russ,

You'll have to figure out your kerf and align the head at the appropriate starting point. For example, for 4/4 lumber I saw 1 1/16" for each board. So, if my 3-sided cant has about 10+" , I will start at 10 times  1 1/16" or 10 10/16" (10 5/8").  My kerf setting will take out 1/16" leaving me with 1" boards (or close enough  ;D  ).  You should be able to adjust what the setworks "take out" for the kerf>

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Dan_Shade

I made a cheater chart that I have taped into the lid, it works great for me...

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

dewwood

Did you receive a manual for the setworks?  I believe it will show you how to change the settings to include the kerf or not include it in your drop to your next cut.  I cut all hardwood so as I turn the cant I try to leave the heart in the remaining small cant that goes for pallet wood.
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Dan_Shade

yes, WM will sell you the manual if you call them up.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

LeeB

I gotta go to Memphis tommorow and will be gone all day. I'll try to remember to get down to the shop Wednesday and get the info you need and send it to you. Send me a PM to remind me.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

MartyParsons

There is no bed reference on Setworks only Accuset has bed reference. This means every last cut will be off, maybe a little maybe a lot it depends where you start. Once you get some time with the scale you will know about where to start to come up close. The scale kerf is set at 1/8 " and the Simple setworks will be fine tuned closer. Accuset will figure out to .001 and give you bed reference there is talk of making Accuset available for Setworks owners but I have not seen it yet.
Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Russ

Good tip! I just changed the kerf setting so it matched the manual scale.Tested a couple times and I'm good to go ! Now I can go back and forth between the scale and the set works.

sparks

For future referenc, here is the formula for setting kerf on Setworks. Thanks all and be careful out there.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Thank You Sponsors!