iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

International Shipping

Started by Fla._Deadheader, May 31, 2008, 09:19:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Can anyone offer some tips and input, on how to ship International, and keep the prices within reason ???

I have a product that I will carry to the states, and if the buyer is satisfied, the first order will be 50 lots.  It will all fit on a pallet, and be "boxed", and fastened TO the Pallet.

I have contacted several shippers, and NONE have gotten back to me.  >:( >:( >:(

I sure as *&^%$# don't want to use someone, that doesn't get back. Why should I keep chasing someone to give them my money ???

What am I doing wrong ???  Do I need to fly up to Florida, and pack this as baggage ??? I can carry 2 bags, for baggage, plus one carry on. I can pay $50.00 extra for other bags, or Boxes, as it were. Any ideas ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Ironwood

FLH,

I don't know if FrieghtQuote goes  international, but my rep has been wonderful, Come to think of it I am shipping ot Canada through them. 800-323-5441 ext 1326. Her name is Gineta McCoullough. Great gal, and great rates. I have shipped through them from small LTL pallets to tractor trailer loads.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Fla._Deadheader

Thanks Reid. I will contact them soon. Gotta get some inventory on hand, so I know the volume I am wanting shipped.  8)

Any other input ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Ironwood

At some point it will need to go through a licsenced and bonded broker at the "border" or port of entry, you may want to try to contact them directly given that you will be shipping numerous shipments on a regular basis. Try to find out the most direct US port of entry from CR and try to contact several brokers. They are specialized from what I can tell and just handle the port or border crossing through US Customs, and then perhaps they can refer you to some of their more frequent co's shipping to and from them. Keep us posted as it sounds liek ADVENTURE. If FrieghtQuote can do it, it will be a very easy transaction as they will handle all the details.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Fla._Deadheader

The part I don't get, is, I contacted Carga Tica. That's a BIG outfit. Never called me back.  Might have a D5 Cat and a BIG Mack Flatbed to ship down from the states. Other items were mentioned ??? 

Called the guy I shipped with when I first came down. Never returned my calls after I told him what I wanted to do ???

Can't remember the others. One was on a Yahoo groups from CR Living. Emailed him and NOTHING ???  I don't understand ???

I will try them, but, I can't access a LOT of 800 numbers from down here, u7nless I get an INTERNATIONAL access number from them, first. ???

Everything down here is an adventure.  ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D  No sense being bored, EH ???  8) :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

oakiemac

I asked this same question awhile back and was given a few names of international shipping companies. I cant remember the names but I got quotes from them and it was outrageously high. I was trying to ship some 2.5" square by40" long hickory to England and even with the exchange rate it was still sky high.
I basically quit looking and told customer that if he can find a shipper I would be happy to ship to him. He wrote back that he was working on it but I haven't heard back and that was 6 months ago.

If you find a good way to do it, let me know.

Best of luck.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

StorminN

Deadheader,

We use Schenker for all of our stuff to and from Europe and Asia, not sure if they do CR or not, but they are worth a try... call the office closest to where you want to ship from in Florida...

DB Schenker Logistics

As far as making phone calls, if you have any sort of high-speed internet, you should be able to use Skype and make whatever calls you want for pennies... it might even work if you're on fast dial-up, I'm not sure. On high-speed internet, it works like a charm, though...

-N.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

Ironwood

FriegthQuote ship to CR but not from CR and only 1000 lbs or so at a time.

Ironwood

Fla._Deadheader

Skype won't work for me. Not enough zip in the Phone lines. I have phone connection at higher speed, but, still not good. I will try that Schenker.  Thanks Norm.

Thanks, Reid.
   First, it is ridiculed;

jim king

Have you had any luck finding a way to ship your wood ?¿  My experience from here is that it costs almost the same to ship a 20 container as a 40 inch square box.  My freight costs are about $1300 from 2400 miles down the Amazon around the corner of SA and across the Carribian to Houston for a 20 foot container (30,000 pounds).  To me that is a very good price.

We are very lucky that we have a good agent on this end and a so-so in Texas and that the one and only ship that comes here has not missed a trip in over 30 years.  I will attach a photo of the ship in mid river loading break bulk lumber.  We are the last to load as we use containers and they go on top of the ship when it is full.

I would contact a local shipping agent in Costa Rica.  I think you would get better info than with an American one.  The American agents just dont like to return a call or do anything for a new customer.  I have the same problem from here trying to get freight rates from Houston to other destinations.  My experience over the years is that used car salesmen and snake oil peddlers have more credibility than most freight forworders.  It must be an easy business to be in for the lack of service and responsibility.

Fla._Deadheader

Hi Jim

No luck, yet.  I HAD a price of $1.00 a pound, for small pallet type stuff. That was 2 years ago.  Right now, I'm thinking to fly the stuff as my checkin luggage, or as extra freight, right on my flight. That way, I get to see family a little more often, and maybe scare up some business as well. AND, it would be tax deductible.

IF I could get enough for a 20' container, that would surely be the best way.   Thanks for the info.  How's that Plywood Plant rebuild coming  ??? ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!