iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies

Author Topic: RECYCLING ... what a joke!  (Read 11701 times)

Offline Engineer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: RECYCLING ... what a joke!
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2008, 11:20:41 AM »
Oh, and that's the other thing.  Organics go in the compost, yard waste and leaves and brush go in a pile at the "dump" and the Town brings a tub grinder in once a year to grind it all.  The final product is free for the taking or they spread it in the woods. 

It's gotten to the point where if you bring any brush larger than a couple inches in diameter to the dump, it will get taken as firewood.

Offline Tom

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Toms Saw
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2008, 12:11:07 PM »
The larger the city, more impersonal the Government.  Our landfills are so far from the population that most don't even know where they are.  Those that have found a place closer to the metropolitan area are not citizen friendly.  None of them will allow a citizen to peruse the discards.  If you take you trash to the dump in a pickup truck, it's, empty the truck and leave or be chased away. 

The dumps and routes are run by contractors and time is money.  If you miss jumping through their hoops, your trash ends up on the side of the road.  There is no recycling marketing going on.  The laws were passed, the jobs were bid, the trucks come and go and it's "out of sight/out of mind".  Many of the failing recycling efforts could be rejuvenated with a little positive marketing by the City Fathers.   Not everything has to be a law.  They seem to understand that when it comes to "Growth".  They present all kinds of pretty pictures of the city and talk about the new hotels, subdivisions and businesses moving in.  They just haven't figured out that there is a continuing populace that makes it all work.

There are too many organizations who operate with the theory that there is no problem if there is no complaint.  They keep the complaints down by keeping quiet and withdrawing to a dark corner.  We have a coal-fired power plant that could provide positive news and picture ops for the paper at least once a month if they would open it up.  All we see of it is the big cooling towers and the mystique of what goes on behind the intimidating fences and gates.

A lot of the problem...... here I go with another opinion again.  'Scuze me a minute.  :D

A lot of the problem is the local media.  The bigger the city, the less the "media" cares of local news.  The News organizations don't talk about little johnny's birthday party, Aunt Sassy's tea party, The church social last week,  Uncle Ben's new tractor, what caused the power outage last night, nor do they follow up on crime stories, whether the contractor that paved the last road did a good job, what is being planted at the county prison farm or that Sister Lily went to visit a long lost cousin in New York.

They are all trying to be "International News Organizations".  It doesn't seem to matter how large the TV station or newspaper happens to be, the front page is all Wire Photos and some personal interest story from another state or another country.  Here we have people that are all informed about Elian Gonzales and don't even know their next door neighbor, two doors down.

To make recycling work, it's going to take everyone creating a sense of community.  That  means that the load can't just be shoved down to the occupants, but has to be a thread that runs throughout the community.  "Government" should get back to allowing citizens to live in and use the county and State rather than treating them like a Red-headed step child who has to walk gingerly around a place that is not really his.  We've allowed our Governments to own us and they are using a third-grade teacher's mentality.

You fellows who live in the smaller towns may be the luckiest of all.  You can't become a shadow on the wall.  Your little society won't permit it.  A squeaky wheel in a large city can be silenced by squashing the whole wagon.

I wish we could get back to being able to re-use things found at the dump, be able to give old tires to the recycling company instead of having both us and them pay disposal fees to the State.   It would be nice to be able to "donate" stuff that we don't want again and have the city interested in finding a way to use it.  Just think of the amount of fuel the generating stations miss by not using the wood from forest fires, land clearing or waste from sawmills...  and it would be free except for the handling.  We need to get away from this We/They society we've created and get involved, and be allowed to get involved.

Whew!   'scuze me!  I do that now and again.  I need to go back over here, sit down and catch my breath. :D

extinct

Offline ely

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2008, 02:26:55 PM »
tom, who is elian gonzales ;D

Offline mike_van

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2008, 02:51:06 PM »
From the local newspaper - The town right next to ours pays 61.00 a ton for solid waste that gets trucked out, but, they get 10.00 a ton for recyclables they turn in - So, just from that point, it saves the town taxpayers $$$$ to recycle -  Oh, I remember Elian, I think Castro adopted him now, or something............
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Offline fencerowphil (Phil L.)

• Senior Member x2
  • LIKE CUTTIN' LONG! 30FT!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2008, 09:33:48 PM »
Thanks for the continuing reports on what you are (or your locale is) doing
in regard to recycling.  It is easy to see how harum scarum or hit and
miss the concept is from area to area. 

A more consistent national effort could help in many ways.  I think it
is ironic that Tom and Jim King both reveal that the big machinery of
the US approach to the problem of big trash actually makes it much
harder to handle the situation.  While Tom and Jim are refering to the
human element and access, there are other issues of scale and equipment
to consider, also.

If approaches were scaled up, there probably would be efficient networks
and devices for cost-effective (even profitable) gathering and processing
of much more of our waste - even the bulky plastic bottles.

By combining the bin system which WDH mentions with Tom's idea of
the on-truck plastic shredder you have the makings of an efficient handle-
it-once system.   The home owner just handles it into a bin. From that
point on it is only handled as a collected quantity of some size, rather than
as individual items.  The recycling truck need not be the same truck as the
garbage truck.  Instead, it could be a compartmentalized mobile processing
facility on wheels which would feed a railroad-based system for the consolidation
and shipment of the materials.  If there was a local processor which could be
the end user of the product, all the better.  In that scenario, the materials would
not go to the railcar, but to that facility.

As mentioned, such systems require national policy and backing.  There has to be
a long term expectation which entrepreneurs could count on being consistent into
the future and, therefore, worth the necessary investments.  If that happens, then
systems and specialized machinery would be feasible due to scale.  Such policies
should be integrated into an overall energy policy.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2008, 11:19:10 PM »
Such policies
should be integrated into an overall energy policy.

Ain't that the truth. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2008, 04:49:55 PM »
WDH,

I just hope we "get it" this time.

If we do, we can combine:
                                                Turning our oil dollars toward home
                                                Finally going to economical transportation
                                                Universal systems of recycling
                                                Moving toward national energy independence

Why can't a president challenge the country to do this, as Kennedy challenged
the country to go to the moon?  (Lest you guess that I am a die-hard democrat,
no, not the case.  I could have said,  "as Reagan said,  '...tear down this wall,'"
but that would not have been as direct a comparison. I will leave you guessing.)
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2008, 05:15:21 PM »
The political system is designed to resist change.  It will take a president with guts and great vision.  On well, maybe next time :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline tcsmpsi

• In Memoriam
  • Time is relevant, only because it exists.
    • Share Post
    • The Custom Shop/MPSI
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2008, 05:30:33 PM »
The political system is designed to resist change.  It will take a president with guts and great vision.  On well, maybe next time :).

Careful!    :D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2008, 06:16:25 PM »
Well, these things are not exciting to most people.  That's certain.
Only by linking current events to a good selling job will it ever take place.

I think the upcoming hard knocks which many of us will endure can
provide an opportunity for strong leadership in these areas.  The question
remains as to whether that strong inertia in Washington can be overcome.
It is unlikely.   Maybe Al Gore will have a vision and will spend the
$100 million he made so far on his Global Warming activities and investments.
That would buy a lot of PR!  If even half of what will be spent by the end
of this presidential campaign could be spent promoting these ideas instead,...!

Dream on.   ::)

By the way, Engineer, I am proud of your habits.  Mine don't measure up, but
then our community doesn't make it easy to do either.

Offline tcsmpsi

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • The Custom Shop/MPSI
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2008, 06:32:10 PM »
The only 'recycling' we have available (as a community) is the salvage/recycling yard which only deals in metals.

Our greatest trash 'burden' is plastic water containers.  The children use a lot of the small bottled waters, while we use the gallons (tap water here is barely fit to bathe in).  I keep a dumpster (well, half actually-business next door and I share one) at the shop in town.   

They drink the fizzwaters, but I sell those cans every now and then.   Other than that, we don't have much trash.  Very, very little do we eat out of a can or much packaged stuff. 
A parakeet couldn't survive on our 'leftovers'.    Now, that got me thinking of that boudain left from yesterday waiting on me when I get to the house.   :D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Offline isawlogs

• Senior Member x2
  • A smile is contagious ... Start an epidemic
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2008, 07:04:16 PM »

Here recycling is doing prety good . We can put any type of paper product , any type of glass, any metal and any type of plastic out for recycling , thewy ask that we clean out the food type containers and put all into clear plastic or light see through blue plastic bags . It can be put into a garbage can , as long as one person can lift it with no poblem .
 The pick up is done every two weeks , so we have one week regular garbage , the other is recycling .
  We have some that complain about the smell .. but it is an insentive for people to do more recycling and to get some into composting . Once you get into those two you really dont have that much that needs be buried .

There are some that take recycling a little further  ;D

Some Beaver took it upon himself to take one of my White Birch down ... I took it upon myself to take it back .  :D
  After some cogitating , I came up with this recycled beaver killed tree coat hanger  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2008, 07:07:23 PM »
I like it.  I like it.
 :)
I practiced recycling today:   My old Dodge Dakota got a new gas filter,
                                           so that it could quit being a useless hunk of
                                           metal and, instead, allow me to go move two
                                           Steinway grand pianos.
 :D

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2008, 07:41:00 PM »

A parakeet couldn't survive on our 'leftovers'.      :D

Tcsmpsi,

I hate to hear that y'all are starving the birds over there in Texas ;D.

Offline DouginUtah

• Senior Member x2
  • You can't always have a tailwind, sometimes it's going to be a headwind.
    • Share Post
    • Doug Sherwin's Homepage
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2008, 08:58:04 PM »
Steinway grand pianos.

Phil,

I don't know if you ever go to the movies or if you watch DVDs but if there is one movie this year for you to see make it Note by Note. This is a movie that would be of interest to all woodworkers also.

It is the step by step process of building a Steinway piano.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2008, 09:01:06 PM »
Doug

Used to restore pianos.  In fact, have restored several Steinways.
TOO MANY HOURS.  Bet you can imagine that after seeing that film you mentioned.

Once we pulled an upright player piano out of the floor of an old log
cabin where it had been (foolishly) stored.  Termites had eaten away the floor and up into the piano.
We restored the case, the piano, and the player mechanisms.  Even
reveneered most of the case.

Now THAT was recycling!

Offline tcsmpsi

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • The Custom Shop/MPSI
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2008, 07:21:36 AM »

A parakeet couldn't survive on our 'leftovers'.      :D

Tcsmpsi,

I hate to hear that y'all are starving the birds over there in Texas ;D.

Yeah, they look it.     :D  The birds and squirrels are fed on the top deck in the back, and the rabbits like the sprouts that come up from what they drop.   Recycling.   ;D

Offline OneWithWood

• Senior Member x2
  • I am happy!
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2008, 01:09:45 PM »
Our county and the city of Bloomington have a very well thought out and utilized recycling program.  At the heart of the county program are orange bags.  The bags come in two sizes, 10 and 20 gallon, I think.  You buy the bags at the grocery store for .50 and $1 respectively.  Garbage goes in the orange bags and on to the landfill.  Everything else is recycled.  The transfer stations in the county all have free libraries and free other useful stuff.  Folks are real good about not putting junk in the other useful stuff area.

At our house nothing is wasted.  The only things going into the orange bags cannot be recycled or composted.  We pre sort our recyclables in plastic 40 gallon cans labeled: Magazines, Newspaper, Steel cans, Plastic, Glass and Cardboard.  Whenever the cans are full I haul them to the transfer station and dump the contents into the respective roll-off containers.
I recycle used vegetable oil for a few of the restaurants in the area. (My exhaust makes me hungry)

Our county roads are remarkably free of trash.  We have a real good pick-up-the-trash-and-get-sober operation run by the judicial system  :D

For the record, our government does have an energy policy that is in effect currently.  It was put together by Dick Cheney and some as-yet-unidentified freinds of his during the first Bush administration.  I am sure it is working to their satisfaction and just the way it was planned.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2008, 05:57:17 PM »
An energy policy "still crazy after all these years?"

OWW,
That is an enviable system.

Offline Bow Saw

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2008, 12:10:29 PM »
Hey Tom,
     I  Bow Saw that!
     I'm catching up on my reading here and didn't like the derogatory remark towards an elementary school teacher.
Your exact quote was, "We've allowed our Government to own us and they are using a third-grade teacher's mentality."
     Pardon me but, you are not  "scuzed"!
Don't do that again!
     Just goes to show how ignorant some of you do actually know what teachers instruct & promote.  I could not read this and not come to the defense of my fellow teachers. We live in a small rural community of under 2,500 people. Our school population is roughly about 350 students.  The sixth grade teacher participates in a county wide energy and recycling unit where she assists her students to teach the younger grades how to conserve energy.  This was started quite a few years ago and promoted by the county power plant.  I believe they actually hired the teacher who coached teachers in the local schools on how to proceed in the instructional process for sixth graders.  A lot of teacher prep is done, much time and effort is invested in this program.  The sixth grade teacher schedules her students, they work in teams of 2 or 3 students to give a presentation to each class, (They know how to use power point better than me).  She divides it up so that all 6th graders are involved in the presentation of all the classes from prek to 5th grades.  They won a county wide award for all their efforts and got a field trip to the state government in Augusta, Maine.  Yes, we are perhaps the exception, but don't tell me that teachers don't try to promote recycling.  Tom, I'll be thinking of you each time I trip over that container of paper for recycling next to the trash bin, whenever I use an old cereal box during craft time to recover it with old cast away wrapping paper to turn it into a browser box, or use the old cereal box to make a binder for a story that the student wrote.  Again wrap discarded wrapping paper around the cut edges of a cereal box, (it makes a sturdy binding), if students have access to a computer they can print their stories,(that makes a nice published writing), a digital photo of the child glued on the cover is another added touch.
We use other discarded material to make crafts, remember teachers have to be quite resourceful so think before you speak so dispargeingly of the mentality of a third grade teacher!   
It's the end of another great year and I'm not taking any # % *^%# from anyone out there! 
Mrs. Bow Saw

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
recycling some cans

Started by Stephen Alford on Alternative methods and solutions

21 Replies
Last post March 24, 2013, 01:23:05 PM
by drobertson
xx
Recycling logging equipment

Started by Taylortractornut on General Board

6 Replies
Last post February 10, 2012, 07:39:10 PM
by Taylortractornut