iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Farm Pond Fishing

Started by Norm, June 22, 2008, 11:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

We stocked our pond about 4 years ago and this spring has been the best ever for catching fish in it. On fathers day Patty and I went out and caught the biggest bass ever. Of course no camera so I'd estimate it's weight at somewhere around 8#s. ;D

We went out this morning and wouldn't you know she brought a camera to keep me honest. Not as big as the other one but not bad for a small farm pond.

Left Coast Chris

Very nice Bass Norm......... how deep is the pond and what is the water source?

.....You have probably had lots of new friends show up with fishing poles eh? :) :)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

beenthere

Now Norm....sure that you ain't fishin in your corn field?   ;D ;D

That should be some nice eatin. :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Norm

Quote from: beenthere on June 22, 2008, 12:43:15 PM
That should be some nice eatin. :) :)

Eat em!  :o

Jeez bt I feel like I'd be eating one of the family if I did. :D

LC I have a well drilled that runs 24x7 pumping into it plus it is surrounded by alfalfa so the water is clean and clear. Probably the deepest spot is 12-15 foot.

Patty

The pond is as deep as it ever has been this year due to all the rain. It is awesome to fish this year.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

thecfarm

Put a regular reel on to a fly fishing rod for ALOT of fun.We use to do that at the water supply up the road from where I grew up.That was full of small mouth bass.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Looks like a good time and not far to go. How could ya beat that?  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Larry

Good lookin bass Norm.  You can tell by the suntan on the fish that the water is clean and clear.  Bet that pond is a good place to go skinny dippin. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Patty

Norm swims in the pond now and then, but I don't. I have an aversion to snapping turtles nibbling on my toes.  :D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Norm

And I make sure to wear a pair of swimming trunks. ;D

Roxie

Woo Hoo!  Looking good!   8)

oh, yeah...the fish is nice too.   ::)
Say when

WildDog

Norm and Patty you guys have a great spot there, not much beats being able to catch a feed of fish on your own place, what area does your pond (we call them dams down here) cover?
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Norm

I'm not sure the area of our pond WildDog, if I had to guess I'd say it's maybe 2 acres of water. I will say it is the best investment I've ever made and would have never thought so never having one before. The amount of wildlife it attracts is very surprising. I was sitting next to it the other day waiting on a pesky muskrat to dispatch of. I sat there an hour watching the different bird, insect and aquatic life there. Very soothing to ones soul. :)

Never did see the muskrat though. :D

Tom

What's muskrat taste like? :P

breederman

Together we got this !

ellmoe

Tom,

Kinda like Manatee. ;D

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Tom

If they're as good as Manatee, somebody should open a resturant up there and serve Muskrat stew.  It wouldn't be long before somebody would be trying to protect them.  :D

Hmmm!  Chicken!  They used to give away necks and wings till somebody in buffalo decided to "market" them.
Around DanG's parts they eat a lot of Chicken Feetses.  Yep, eat'em by the bagfull.  The Grocery can't keep'em in the cooler. Y'all like Chicken Foots? ;D

Muskrat grin soup, 50ยข  8) :P

SwampDonkey

What about pig foots?  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

They got more meat on them than chicken feet.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Corley5

Once upon a time trappers up here had a market for muskrat carcasses.  Buyers sold them to upscale downstate restaurants where they were put on the menu as marsh rabbit  :) :)  Really  :) :) :)  Maybe the market is still there I don't know  :) :)  If you should see marsh rabbit on a menu  ;) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SwampDonkey

Some of those muskrats can be pretty big. I seen one last summer waddle out of a wetland and run along the shoulder of the road. Would'a been a lot of eating on that carcass.  ;D

Tom

If you see marsh rabbbit on the menu down here, it better be Marsh Rabbit.  We gottem.  Those trappers might find that they will have to leave a foot on the carcass to sell it.  :D   We have to do that when we sell Coon and Rabbit now.  ;D

Jeff

Well, this really is the wrong thread to post this, but its sorta close. I went and did something I aint done in a long long time. Bought a fishing license a few days ago when we had to return a trailer to my sisters that Tammy had borrowed and I went fishing for an hour. Actually caught two bass and we brought them home and had them for supper. Today Tammy was feeling under the weather and I had energy to burn, so I went back by myself and took the boat out. An hour later, back at the house, lynda infomed me she was coming to MY house tomorrow to go swimming and to eat the fish I caught out of her lake. :)

Some people dont like bass to eat but I love em. Especially out of lake of the hills. It has a creek running up the middle of it with lots of current so the water quality is usually real good for bass.  The bass are all spawned out, and off the beds now and apparentlyon the feed. :)

I limited out!!  I actually caught 11 all together and kept 5.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Norm

Heck no it isn't the wrong thread to post this Jeff...I was hoping others would show what they're catching just like you did. :)

Now those are some beauties and I'll bet you get some tasty fillets from them. I used to fish quite a bit but got out of the habit for many years. Two years ago we started fishing our pond and realized just how much we'd missed it. Unfortunately Iowa does not have many places to go so it's really nice having our own spot. Hope you do more of it too.

What kind of lure or bait were you using?

Jeff

worms ;D

If I'm catching to keep, and not worried about releasing a fish, live bait if you can get it is my choice.  I rushed home with my catch to make supper and get them cleaned before the big storms came through. The fish got their revenge on me. While I was cleaning them the winds came up and the thunder and rain started. Tammy ran out to hold the garbage bag I was putting the waste in because it was blowing away even with the fish entrails in it. I got conked on the head while on the last fish by a small limb off the big oak tree we were near. This morning I got a pretty good egg on the top of my noggin. I'll forget about that when I'm eating fish later today. ;D

Michigan says you can not be any farther then 5 miles from a body of water that may hold fish no matter where you are in the state. Harrison's motto is "20 lakes in 20 minutes" and thats just the ones with public access. From the house here, we can hear boat traffic, depending on the direction of the wind, from 3 different lakes. Budd, Sutherland, and little long. When the leaves are down, we can see one of them from here. I never boat fished much in these close local lakes as we are a tourist area and the lakes are pretty congested in the summer
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!