The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Farm Pond Fishing  (Read 6466 times)

Online SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
Re: Farm Pond Fishing
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2008, 11:33:04 AM »
Some of those muskrats can be pretty big. I seen one last summer waddle out of a wetland and run along the shoulder of the road. Would'a been a lot of eating on that carcass.  ;D
Move'n on.

Offline Tom

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Toms Saw
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2008, 05:09:30 PM »
If you see marsh rabbbit on the menu down here, it better be Marsh Rabbit.  We gottem.  Those trappers might find that they will have to leave a foot on the carcass to sell it.  :D   We have to do that when we sell Coon and Rabbit now.  ;D
extinct

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • I know that I do not know.
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2008, 10:50:16 PM »
Well, this really is the wrong thread to post this, but its sorta close. I went and did something I aint done in a long long time. Bought a fishing license a few days ago when we had to return a trailer to my sisters that Tammy had borrowed and I went fishing for an hour. Actually caught two bass and we brought them home and had them for supper. Today Tammy was feeling under the weather and I had energy to burn, so I went back by myself and took the boat out. An hour later, back at the house, lynda infomed me she was coming to MY house tomorrow to go swimming and to eat the fish I caught out of her lake. :)

Some people dont like bass to eat but I love em. Especially out of lake of the hills. It has a creek running up the middle of it with lots of current so the water quality is usually real good for bass.  The bass are all spawned out, and off the beds now and apparentlyon the feed. :)

I limited out!!  I actually caught 11 all together and kept 5.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.
Ezekiel 22:30

Offline Norm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2008, 08:33:57 AM »
Heck no it isn't the wrong thread to post this Jeff...I was hoping others would show what they're catching just like you did. :)

Now those are some beauties and I'll bet you get some tasty fillets from them. I used to fish quite a bit but got out of the habit for many years. Two years ago we started fishing our pond and realized just how much we'd missed it. Unfortunately Iowa does not have many places to go so it's really nice having our own spot. Hope you do more of it too.

What kind of lure or bait were you using?

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • I know that I do not know.
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2008, 08:46:10 AM »
worms ;D

If I'm catching to keep, and not worried about releasing a fish, live bait if you can get it is my choice.  I rushed home with my catch to make supper and get them cleaned before the big storms came through. The fish got their revenge on me. While I was cleaning them the winds came up and the thunder and rain started. Tammy ran out to hold the garbage bag I was putting the waste in because it was blowing away even with the fish entrails in it. I got conked on the head while on the last fish by a small limb off the big oak tree we were near. This morning I got a pretty good egg on the top of my noggin. I'll forget about that when I'm eating fish later today. ;D

Michigan says you can not be any farther then 5 miles from a body of water that may hold fish no matter where you are in the state. Harrison's motto is "20 lakes in 20 minutes" and thats just the ones with public access. From the house here, we can hear boat traffic, depending on the direction of the wind, from 3 different lakes. Budd, Sutherland, and little long. When the leaves are down, we can see one of them from here. I never boat fished much in these close local lakes as we are a tourist area and the lakes are pretty congested in the summer
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.
Ezekiel 22:30

Offline farmerdoug

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2008, 11:22:49 AM »
Corley,  They still serve marsh rabbit down here in some places along St. Clair river and the lake too. ;)
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Online SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2008, 11:44:33 AM »
I can remember when we used to go fishing in the heart of the province and grandfather used to complain that as he purchased new pickup trucks over the years, all Fords in his case, a tank of gas got you less miles from the 70's throughout the 80's with newer and newer models. He even complained about the price somewhat, way back then. I wonder what he'd say now? We used to spend 3 or 4 days traveling and exploring new logging roads to find a new Lake or stream that was 'opened up' and ripe for the fishing. Some trips late in the summer, we just picked pales and pales of blueberries. Never used hardly any of them, but couldn't let acres of them go to waste on those old burns and new cut overs. Good old times.  :)
Move'n on.

Offline LeeB

• Senior Member x2
  • proud to be a TEXAN in Arkansas
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2008, 12:41:32 AM »
You fellers have inspired me. I called Lindy last night and told her to take the boat in for a tune up. I won't get but a few days home this time in, but I'm a gonna spend at least one of them fishing.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Offline WildDog

• Share Post
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2008, 06:22:07 PM »

These are some Redfin my boys caught, we have had 3 meals from them, :) they were caught about 50ft from our house. In the morning the boys left home at 5:30am and walked a mile down the creek to fish at a big waterhole, it was frosty and the line runners were freezing up, then Tim slipped on the ice when he was releasing a small one and fell in the water, when he got home (no fish) his pants had ice on them and he didn't look to well, then after lunch they caught these right at the house.

Next week they are following our creek down to where it meets the river to chase a Murray Cod, these cod are big and renowned for good eating.....Should start a new post for "Game gathered from on our farms" the boys are on school holidays and the freezers are full of Venison for us and Kangaroo for the dogs ;) 
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Offline Norm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2008, 06:53:14 PM »
Those are some beauties WildDog.  :)

I really enjoy seeing the wildlife in your area, if they get a Cod grab a picture if possible.

Offline semologger

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2008, 10:16:35 PM »
Did you say sliped on the ice WildDog? The only ice you see around here is in the cooler next to ya on the bank. Its been hot enough around here you could of cooked them on the hood of your truck. ;D. I been wanting to go fishin the river around here was going to go sunday morn but just sisnt make it out of the bed.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Fishing in the farm pond....

Started by weimedog on The Outdoor Board

0 Replies
Last post August 01, 2014, 03:43:36 PM
by weimedog
xx
old farm trash dump is actually a Farm Pond - clean up help

Started by kwendt on Ask The Forester

31 Replies
Last post January 10, 2015, 12:35:33 PM
by kwendt
xx
Had not fished the farm pond in a while. But they were hopping thay day!

1 Replies
Last post June 05, 2016, 03:34:47 PM
by Carson-saws
xx
A local guy and winter time fishing for Musky, We have some of the BEST fishing!

1 Replies
Last post February 25, 2019, 10:32:57 AM
by Skip