The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Best tool to maintain trails  (Read 1191 times)

1938farmall and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
Re: Best tool to maintain trails
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2019, 11:51:31 AM »
I have been trying to sell a pair of 108's with plows mower decks and snow blowers. You want to go for a road trip?

Online livemusic

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2019, 12:20:42 PM »
For me, I started years ago with a pick and shovel and blind ambition.
Then I got a pretty fancy long handled snip
A few years later got a forestry trailer with a grapple (which digs rocks fairly well)
A few years later rented a mini excavator
Then a few later a rented bigger ex with a thumb for a week
Now we have a box blade scraper behind the tractor

Point is, trails are an evolving project.  It all begins with the first shovel-full.
What is that long handled snip mentioned above? Unsure what you mean.

This morning, I put in two hours doing it as I began... machete and a chainsaw.

Yesterday, I ordered a saw blade for my clearing saw / brushcutter Husky 345FR... a two blade shredder blade... kinda like a lawnmower blade that turns down on each end. Am very eager to try it. Mind you, I bought it mainly for clearing but am wondering if it will also suffice to swing back and forth like a scythe for maintenance.
~~~
Bill

Offline sprucebunny

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: Yesterday at 11:05:48 AM »
Ed-K had to write and remind me of another contraption...

This is made out of an old MS180, an aluminum walker and some other scraps. You push it with your knee/leg and defend yourself from falling stuff with your left arm. The bar at the bottom makes it fairly safe  :)

In the second version, I made a plate out of 1/2" plastic that bolts to the bottom of the saw and made attaching the framework easier and more sturdy.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Offline Orange

• This space intentionally left blank.
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: Today at 07:47:59 AM »
I have some shredder blades for my brush saw. Work petty well shredding woody stuff up to maybe half inch or so depending on hardness but will be slow going if trying to shred everything. Work fine side to side on small stuff also but really no better than a standard wood blade. If you maintain every year a trimmer head and string would work and likely faster. Mine cuts 20" swath and can take up to 0.105" string, no problem on new growth. Once you miss a year though you'll probably need metal blade. I've seen trimmer heads that accept 0.130" string. Never used myself so don't know if that would allow you to go two years. Also have seen 0.150" string but don't know if any trimmer heads accept it or if it's just for walk-behind trimmers.

Offline Orange

• This space intentionally left blank.
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: Today at 08:04:29 AM »
Also, since you seem to be focusing on manual options, you could look into a large weed wrench to pull out woody stems with the roots so they don't sprout back. I would think that once cleared a few dozen aggressive passes with the ATV would go along way in keeping it open?

As with all things property maintenance, money saves time and more money saves more time. Those like myself without much of either don't have well-maintained properties!

Online SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: Today at 09:15:00 AM »
That's why I like nature to inhibit that sprouting by having bigger trees with limbs over. But a real pain when snow shoeing because with 4 feet of snow your up into them lower limbs. :D
Move'n on.

Online lxskllr

• Senior Member x2
  • dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: Today at 09:38:54 AM »
Also, since you seem to be focusing on manual options, you could look into a large weed wrench

Never heard of a weed wrench before. A quick image search lead me to this competitor page...

Pullerbear Tree Puller

I like the low budget feel of the site. It looks like a small shop that (may or may not)have created a better mousetrap. Gonna contemplate the options, and see if there's a place for that kind of tool in my life. Looks like it could be useful. Anyone have hands on experience with this kind of thing?

Online livemusic

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: Today at 11:09:19 AM »
I have some shredder blades for my brush saw. Work petty well shredding woody stuff up to maybe half inch or so depending on hardness but will be slow going if trying to shred everything. Work fine side to side on small stuff also but really no better than a standard wood blade. If you maintain every year a trimmer head and string would work and likely faster. Mine cuts 20" swath and can take up to 0.105" string, no problem on new growth. Once you miss a year though you'll probably need metal blade. I've seen trimmer heads that accept 0.130" string. Never used myself so don't know if that would allow you to go two years. Also have seen 0.150" string but don't know if any trimmer heads accept it or if it's just for walk-behind trimmers.
Just yesterday, had a revelation when I thought of a walk-behind trimmer... like... hmmm... that might work if I could use a stiff enough line or blade. DR makes one, push only and also one that is self-propelled. I know for sure a DR walk-behind brush mower would work but it costs twice as much. I have found some threads where guys in Australia are talking about some badboy line and also blades that are not even available in the USA. I might could get somebody to ship me some.
Of course, as I said in the original post, I have a Husqvarna 345FR clearing saw that has a trimmer head that does 17 inch swath. If a stout line or blade will work with a trimmer, that is an option. The value of this below is a walk-behind trimmer might be less tiring. Especially self-propelled.
Here is a walk behind trimmer.
DR PRO XLSP Trimmer Mower (string trimmer) | DR Power Equipment
~~~
Bill

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
How well do you maintain your saw?

Started by oldsaw-addict on Chainsaws

26 Replies
Last post January 31, 2004, 08:23:03 PM
by oldsaw-addict
xx
Fix & Maintain Skidder Mustang & f350

Started by Mlamountain on Job Opportunities

0 Replies
Last post May 07, 2011, 03:59:55 PM
by Mlamountain