The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Divorce and inventory--help  (Read 5854 times)

Offline TreeBones

• Share Post
    • The Sawmill Finder
Re: Divorce and inventory--help
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2008, 11:18:34 AM »
I know this is a tough spot to be in. I am lucky that I still have my mill. What worked best for me was to split the wood between each party leaving each responsible for the final sale price. I lost 3,000 bdft of top quality of Claro Walnut and don't even think about the rest of the wood. A good thing to do is let go of the wood and move on. You can always cut more.
TreeBones
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HD

Online Dan_Shade

• Senior Member x2
  • I don't want to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
    • Shade Custom Sawing
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2008, 11:43:31 AM »
Hire a good lawyer.

Also did you retrieve the logs, or where they delivered?  did you purchase the logs or where they "free"

I learned a long time ago, there are no "free" logs, there's a lot of work in log moving and handling.

Did she ever pay any maintanence or upkeep on the mill? did she pay for any of the blade damage on the mill?

My point is that the boards are not 100% profit, and only the "profit" should be debated and challenged, unless all of the "costs" were shared (but they may already be shared depending on laws governing your situation).

It will cost you far more to not have a good lawyer than it will to have one.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Offline LOGDOG

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2008, 12:39:38 PM »
Hire a good lawyer....

It will cost you far more to not have a good lawyer than it will to have one.

Amen Brother ...I'll second that.

LOGDOG

Offline srt

• Full Member x2
  • Specialization is for Insects
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2008, 12:46:40 PM »
Sorry about the situation.  Adults get STUPID when they no longer see eye to eye!

Here's something to think about that shouldn't cost you much money.  Take a bunch of good pictures and post it on EBAY .   Sell it as one lot - buy all of it or none of it.  Set your reserve at the fellow's $40K figure, but start the auction at $1.  Don't tell people the reserve, or you'll not get a single bid!  Make real sure you've described it just as the fellow described it, if he did describe it.  Surely if he was knowledgable at appraising the lumber, he gave your wife some paperwork "certifying" it's value.  If he didn't have significant paperwork to back up his claim, it's "here say", and is worth no more than the paper it's not written on.   If it sells at his price, take your half and be happy.  If it doesn't, you have a new "market price" that I would guess would be more close to reality than the other fellow's price.

As to who did what to earn what in the getting and sawing of this wood, I don't think the law cares.  At least that's what I've seen here in NJ.  Know a jerk whose wife caught him in bed with one of her friends.  That was after he got fired from his 100K/yr job for sexual harrassment (yes, he did it!).  This guy was a super, super sleezeball, and everyone who knows him knows it.  He got half of everything, including her future pension.   Didn't matter that she'd supported his ignorant A** for years.  Sometimes the law don't make no sense!!

Online Dan_Shade

• Senior Member x2
  • I don't want to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
    • Shade Custom Sawing
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2008, 12:52:07 PM »
Sometimes the law don't make no sense!!

Yep, that's why sometimes you need to hire a lawyer.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Offline srt

• Full Member x2
  • Specialization is for Insects
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2008, 12:54:54 PM »
I see we've had several replies about getting a good lawyer.  While I love that idea in theory, I've never found it to work for me.  Hired a lawyer when bought our first house.  It was an estate sale.  After our well went dry, we found out that the well went dry every summer, and the "kids" knew it, as they had lived at home as adults.   The Earnest money agreement was filled with stuff about the well being good, and them certifying it provided an adequate supply all year long, blah, blah, blah.

Went back to the lawyer.  He charged us more money to write letters that did nothing.  Went to another lawyer who said the first lawyer was OK, and he charged us money.  Finally, we bought a new well.

A year or two later, met another lawyer in a social setting.  He said the first thing Lawyer # 1 should have done was to establish an Escrow account with money from the sale for about a year.  Said it was standard practice in Estate sales.

So, we got screwed - twice!

Here's the question.  How do you know which lawyer is a good one?????

Offline ely

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2008, 04:05:54 PM »
srt- not sure about your question but i can tell you when they are lying. ;D

Offline CLL

• Share Post
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2008, 07:49:06 PM »
You can always tell when lawyers are lying, if their lips are moving their lying.  :D :D
Too much work-not enough pay.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Divorce and You Want the House

Started by Mark M on General Board

15 Replies
Last post April 20, 2004, 01:36:35 PM
by Swede
moved
MOVED: the divorce

Started by Jeff on General Board

0 Replies
Last post July 24, 2009, 12:57:16 PM
by Jeff