iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutoff saw for slab wood?

Started by StorminN, July 16, 2008, 07:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StorminN

Hi guys, I didn't know which board to put this in, so I put it here...

I want to build a cutoff saw for the slab wood from my Mobile Dimension saw.

I currently just stack the slab wood in a 12' wooden sawbuck and after a few logs, buck it into firewood lengths. This works OK, but takes some time.

What I'd like to build is a metal sawbuck... a trough, with a pivoting saw at the end. My current thinking is an electric chain saw, on a pivot. I'm wondering if anyone out there is running a home-built electric chain saw? If so, how big of a bar, how big of a motor, what style chain?

The next step up from this would be to put a large chain at the bottom of the trough, the length of the trough, and have a motor that drives this chain, to feed the wood towards the blade... and a couple of micro switches to control the feed motor and the cycle of the chain bar, much like a simplified firewood processor (minus the splitter part).

Anyone out there built something similar?

Thanks,
-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

ladylake

I've been thinking along the same lines, I have a 27hp Kohler off the mill which should be more than enough power. But then buying a chipper and making mulch might be more profitable.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

shinnlinger

Norm,

It sounds like you have it all figured out....try to score a cheep harvester bar and some mill chain and see what you can come up with.  Hell a garage door opener might just do it.

I dont know if a hydraulic feed/cut setup would be better or not.  They have hydraulic chain saws or stanley saws and I saw a used one for $500 a while back...I think they are 3 large new.

But an old circular crosscut saw setup like they used to belt drive off tractors can ussually be found in the weeds without to much work and that might be a even slicker deal as they already have a table and the blade drops right on it.  All you would have to do is put one of these at the end of your trough and power it however you see fit.  I have seen ones driven off of PTO's turning a tire that rubbed on the old belt drive pulley.   Stick the cub cadet up there and put it to work using the hystat unit to run the feed chain.

At the end of they day though I say use your current set up and build yourself a vermin free house instead.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Handy Andy

I have an old buzz saw in the weeds that I've been thinkin of usin for cuttin wood to length. Only thing that scares me is it has no guard.  Afraid I'd be distracted by the dog or somethin and cut my arm off.  It would fit on the front of my old IH H which has a belt pully and could use a baler belt to power it, and would be cheap to run compared to a chain saw.  Anybody ever seen a guard built on one, seems like you could make one similar to a skill saw guard. 
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Ron Wenrich

Why use a chain to drag your wood?  A flat belt would work just as well, and would take a piece of any size.  Put an adjustable micro switch that when the sensor gets tripped, you would stop your belt, and cycle your saw. 

Cornell made a system similar to that a number of years ago.  You might still find some of those systems out there.  They have been absorbed by Pendu Corp. 

To see their system work:  http://www.pendu.com/Pages/Sawmill.htm
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Wallys World

I built a manual cut off slab saw.

You can see it in the back of the picture. I don't have any close up veiws yet. It is a piece og aluminum roller conveyor, the kind a super market used in the meat department. It has a tall edge on one side where i butt the slab up to. I use a 16 inch electric chain saw attacked by a hinge. It has a stop to not let it pivot so far back towards the operator.  The slab rolls along the conveyor to the desired length and just pull up on the saw. You could easily automate this system by using a down pressure drive cog on top of the slab to pull it thru.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

beenthere

Handy Andy
A couple pieces of plywood for sides to the guard, screwed/glued to a curved separator the shape of the saw, and hinged to stay put when the saw advances should help. Or rig it to ride on the wood being cut.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

StorminN

Shinnlinger,

I've got a big enough bar and chain off of my old 041, I was thinking of using that. I was going to go all-electric if I could, since I'm better with electrics than hydraulics, and I have more electric parts... motors, switches, etc... and I was going to save my hydraulics for the bed of my mill.

Not so many old buzzsaws in the weeds out here... it's not like New England. Heck, if I was back there, I bet my uncle still has the firewood saw that he used to drag behind his Farmall. As far as the current setup goes... it IS working OK, it's just time consuming... and the more time I spend cleaning up around the mill, the less time I get to mill, or build, or do other stuff... and BTW, the mice are at my place on the bay, not at the place I'm building... no varmints there yet...

-Norm.

StorminN

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on July 16, 2008, 10:25:24 PMWhy use a chain to drag your wood?  A flat belt would work just as well, and would take a piece of any size.  Put an adjustable micro switch that when the sensor gets tripped, you would stop your belt, and cycle your saw.

Ron,

When I said chain, I meant a larger chain with some ears welded to it, similar to the kind this firewood processor, but on a smaller scale:

Woodbine Firewood Processor

And exactly like you said, I was thinking of a metal plate at the end, with a micro switch under it... the chain would feed, the wood would hit the plate, trip the switch, and the cycle would start... when the bar came back up, the chain would feed again and the cycle would repeat. The plate would be mounted to frame that could be adjusted for firewood length... say 16", 18" etc.

-Norm.

sparky

I am thinking of building a cutoff saw as well. I bought a 36" chainsaw bar and chain at a swap meet for $5. I intend to put a hydraulic motor on it as I have hydraulics on the mill already and I have some motors on the shelf. I expect to make it operational for a very small investment.

Sparky
I'tnl 2050 with Prentrice 110, Custom built 48" left-hand circular and 52" Bellsaw right-hand circular mills, Jonsered 2171, Stihl 084, and too many other chainsaws. John Deere 3020 and Oliver 1800 with FELs. 20" 4-sided planer and misc.

Handy Andy

Stormin, my old buzzsaw is in Kansas.  You see them on sales pretty regular. My dad's generation didn't have chainsaws, they had those old crosscut saws with handles on both ends, and buzzsaws they ran with wc allis's.  Crank start.  Jim
My name's Jim, I like wood.

solidwoods

Chip it.
Pwr feed it to a burner that makes hot water for heat.
Or sell the chips.

A problem with cutting slabs is they kick back easy.
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

Bibbyman

Here is a link to a chain saw cutoff machine made by Morgan Chops saw.  The page has a you-tube video of it working.

Morgan Chain Bar Cut-off saw

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Wannabee Sawyer

Really good information for a new member.  Thanks.  I am sure that I will enjoy this forum for ideas as I hope to expand my operation

mike_van

I had a buzzsaw & used it for years. To work well, you really, really need 3 people. One sets or hands the piece to the one pushing the table back & forth, the third holds the cut off  piece & throws it on the pile. You can get by with 2, but it's slower.  I've settled on the chainsaw method now, I just have 2 bunks about 28" wide & deep. Slabs off the mill get piled in them, trying to keep one end flush or even. When they're full, I either tie the bundle & move it with the tractor or saw right there. A 28" bar goes right down through the stack, 5 cuts, a load of 10 footers is in pieces. Then you have to pick them all up. This methood always  nets some short ones, as the slabs will overlap, etc.  There's short ones in there too.       Nice link Bibby, thats a slick working cutoff saw in that video.   Pricey though, I imagine? 
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

mike_van

The Morgan Bar - Cutoff  saw is 7900.00   :o
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

thecfarm

Wannaabee Sawyer,welcome to the forum.What kind of operation do you plan on expanding?How long you been sawing?What kind of mill you have?Do you custom saw?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hunt_x

I like the buzz saw the best if you set it up so it swings with a air cylinder and a foot-valve you can feed the slabs of rollers the ones from breweries and soda pop plants are the best if you can find them.
Dave in Vic
Davez not here man

StorminN

Hey Hunt_x,

I like the buzzsaw idea to, but I don't have one. What I do have and what I scrapped out today is an old Stihl 041 with a 32" bar, I'm going to see if I can make a go of it with that one. I also found a couple of pieces of roller track like you're talking about... still collecting parts...

-Norm.

hunt_x

a circular cross cut saw parts wood better than a chain saw with that in mind if you are cutting straight slabs, the slabs off yur 128 cant be thicker than 4" you can get a cross cut blade for a 10" or even a 12" radial arm saw pretty *DanG cheap and cut some reverse thread on say 2 hp electric motor and bolt the blade on the motor direct. build a crude and simple frame hang that  motor from a like 2x2 swing arm from the frame and pull that saw thru the slab on one way push the slab ahead 18" push it back making the next cut. with a bit of cable and some old window weights you could set up a little gravity assist for it this set up is pretty dangerous if unguarded but pretty ergonomic and makes processing slabs into firewood much less of a chore.
Dave in Vic
Davez not here man

Ron Wenrich

We always called them a swing saw.  The old ones had a handle on the side and you just pulled it to cut slabs or board ends.  Weights would always keep it back out of the way.

You can buy a used newer model for $1-2000 with power.  I saw one that was a little more expensive with live infeed and outfeed.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

bandmiller2

Have any of you guys built a shear to cut slab ,if you have hydraulics no big deal ,no teeth to sharpen and their quiet.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Sawyerfortyish

I have a cornell slabsaw that works just like the one in the video link that Ron put on here. All these other saws require an operator. The cornell saw does not. You throw the slab in the trough and walk away. You can run your mill and cut the slabs at the same time. The only drawback is you need 3 phase power to run it. I have not used my slabsaw since I put a mulch grinder inline 5 years ago. I put the slabsaw in a barn and would like to clean the barn out for other uses.  The saw blade on my slabsaw is a carbide blade but I also have an inserted tooth blade that used the same teeth as my headsaw. Before I had the slabsaw we used a set of rollers and a block of wood for a stop and a man with a chainsaw and a rubber belt conveyor to carry away and stack the cut slabs . That worked ok but would never be able to keep up with the volume I saw today. As for the cornell slabsaw I out grew that too. The mulch grinder was the best thing I put in to get rid of all the waste. The problem I had with slab wood was that people would come in pick through the slabs make a mess while there kids ran playing over my log piles. I got rid of that liability when I got rid of the slab wood and now I sell everything instead of having a big pile of junk wood spread all over the place in the spring.

Tom

I think that it was in Moultrie that I saw a rig a fellow was trying to sell as a firewood saw.  It was still looking kind of home-made but he was proud of it.   He had a roller table set up with a bit of a frame on one end.  On this frame, he had attached a relatively small chainsaw.  It was hooked on there by the tip of its bar and was eithr spring loaded or cantelevered such that, when he turned it loose, the engine would swing to the top of an arc. 

He would put a slab or small log on the roller bed and feed it off of the end. When it was the right length, he had stops out there, he would reach up and get the handle of the chainsaw, rev it up and pull the engine down through the slab or small log.  Yep, He had invented the "Chop Saw".  :D   But it worked.  :)

cheyenne

check out baileys they have what they call the smart holder for firewood for $100 bucks and it's the slickest tool i have. load it up with slabs, chop with chain saw. works great and it folds up for storage
Home of the white buffalo

jpgreen

Quote from: bandmiller2 on August 03, 2008, 06:47:58 AM
Have any of you guys built a shear to cut slab ,if you have hydraulics no big deal ,no teeth to sharpen and their quiet.Frank C.

I've been wanting to build one of these.  Even one that I could cut chunks of wood fast that could be use to fuel a wood gasser.
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

jpgreen

beenthere

Interesting cut-off saw and splitter. At the speed shown in the video, the guy is going to freeze to death waiting for it to buck the log, and split the piece. Looks entirely too weak in the knees to last very long.

But interesting just the same, and glad you posted it.

Curious about the wood shear...as slicing across the grain of wood, as in a slab or a log, takes a lot of power and a pretty sharp, strong blade. There are some log shears out there, but thinking they work just for some of the softwoods.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jpgreen

I couldn't get those videos to play, but from the size they looked kind of slow. A guy can always built up on power.

On the shear- I've been thinking more of a guitine(sp) as in french with a big heavy head cuttin' off type blade.  Pure mass would slice through small daimeter logs and branches like butter for making chunk wood blocks for a wood gassifier.

Do think one for firewood logs would definitly have to be beefy.

StorminN

If I had the money, I think I'd get one of those Chomper firewood processors... it's a shear-based one... if you haven't seen it, check it out... very impressive.

For now, the direction I'm going with this cutoff saw is I've mounted a chain bar to an old electric chop saw head. It's a complete rough draft, just something I slapped together in a 1/2 hour... I wanted to see if the chop saw motor would be strong enough to pull the chain, and it is. I'll post some pics tomorrow...

-Norm.

bandmiller2

Have any of you guys noticed the shear junk dealers use to cut long pieces to #1,its just a massive cast iron shear that runs constantly you feed into it.Have a belt feeding it at the right speed and let her go you'd have some a little shorter than the outhers. Frank C.

jpgreen

Quote from: bandmiller2 on August 28, 2008, 06:54:53 AM
Have any of you guys noticed the shear junk dealers use to cut long pieces to #1,its just a massive cast iron shear that runs constantly you feed into it.Have a belt feeding it at the right speed and let her go you'd have some a little shorter than the outhers. Frank C.

Where can I see a pic of one of these, or what would they call that?  This is what I need to make chunks.

When you say "cut long pieces to #1",  what is #1? Rebar?

The only thing I've been able to find like this is a Laimet screw auger chipper and they are $20,000.

jpgreen

Quote from: StorminN on August 28, 2008, 04:24:37 AM
If I had the money, I think I'd get one of those Chomper firewood processors... it's a shear-based one... if you haven't seen it, check it out... very impressive.

For now, the direction I'm going with this cutoff saw is I've mounted a chain bar to an old electric chop saw head. It's a complete rough draft, just something I slapped together in a 1/2 hour... I wanted to see if the chop saw motor would be strong enough to pull the chain, and it is. I'll post some pics tomorrow...

-Norm.

Sounds great...  8)

StorminN

Here's the video page for the Chomper...

Chomper video page

Here's a pic of the "rough draft" of what I've got going... this was just a quick & dirty check to see if the motor was strong enough to spin the chain well... (it did). I'm going to remove the handle and bolt another arm on the other side (left side of pic)... again, this was just a test.

-Norm.

bandmiller2

JP,what I was refering to is #1 prepared steel i believe thats under 4'.I don't know the proper name every junk yard around here has at least one.Stop by any old junk yard and ask,mayby bring a slab or two and try it.I have never seen a new one probibly OSHA put them out of business.Frank C.

redprospector

Quote from: StorminN on August 28, 2008, 04:24:37 AM

-Norm.
Norm,
I've got a 14" Chomper. The only thing it realy dosen't like is old dry brittle wood, just kinda shatters it (makes good kindling though  :D). The shear could be made pretty easily for chomping up slabs. Most wood will shear cross grain a lot easier than people think.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

gizmodust

Quote from: cheyenne on August 27, 2008, 08:19:19 PM
check out baileys they have what they call the smart holder for firewood for $100 bucks and it's the slickest tool i have. load it up with slabs, chop with chain saw. works great and it folds up for storage
I built one of these last fall, before Baileys offered it.  Difference is mine will take 2 12 slabs at a time.  If you're man enough to put it in, it'll hold it.  When I saw the one in Baileys, I snickered to myself.  A lot of good ideas coming in though.  It might take a bit to wrangle out the best one.
Always liked wood with alot of character

cheyenne

BUT YOU AND I BOTH KNOW IT'S BETTER THAN SPENDING $ 5,000 GRAND OR BETTER.

jpgreen

Quote from: gizmodust on September 01, 2008, 06:45:11 PM
Quote from: cheyenne on August 27, 2008, 08:19:19 PM
I built one of these last fall, before Baileys offered it.  Difference is mine will take 2 12 slabs at a time.  If you're man enough to put it in, it'll hold it.  When I saw the one in Baileys, I snickered to myself.  A lot of good ideas coming in though.  It might take a bit to wrangle out the best one.

Can you post a pic of your holder?

cheyenne

bandmiller2

JPGreen,tell us about your wood gassifier,are you running an engine or just heat??Frank C.

MaddiesDad

That or you could put a 30" saw powered by something like 15 HP electric motor on a hyd cylinder.  The cylinder is tripped by either a timer or (on ours) a prox switch that is tripped by one revolution of the belt.  They both have their pros and cons, etc. 
I also saw one that was a gas powered circle saw that was on a timer.  Every 15 seconds or so it'd chop. 
I've got some pictures if you want.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Im building a foot operated honda 10hp 26"saw under table docking/chop saw in the next 4 to 6 weeks ill post some pics if you want. Its going to cost under $1800.

Chris McMahon
4TH Generation Timbergetter

jpgreen

Quote from: bandmiller2 on September 02, 2008, 05:45:00 AM
JPGreen,tell us about your wood gassifier,are you running an engine or just heat??Frank C.
Hi Frank,

I have yet to build one.  It will run a gas or diesel engine.  You can look up Paul H's post on the truck he built over in the alt energy forum...  :)

jpgreen

Please post all pics on your saws!!...  8)

Thank You Sponsors!